I'm annoyed. and it's petty.šŸ™„

We don't have assigned parking at work but ALL OF US (small office) park in the same spot every day. For years.Ā  Every. Day. You can tell who is here, if they got a new car, if you are sick, your spot stays open.Ā  It's unwritten.

Except for one woman who has some passive aggressive jealousy of me.Ā  She's made dumb mentions of it b4. How "everyone likes you" and "you get everything" which I don't, I just work hard and am in a different area than her and have longevity and yes, a good work reputation.

If she EVER beats me to work, she parks in the spot I have parked in for years. People notice. They come to me and laugh about it. How insecure she must be. It's like a joke now.Ā  Everyone laughs behind her back about it. That should be enough validation for me.

This morning I arriveĀ in my normal time but she was RIGHT IN FRONT of me.Ā  And she pulled into "my" spot. I took a spare spot and followed her in.Ā  Of course saying nothing.Ā  But jeez. I'm really annoyed by her.Ā  Taking the high road, but sometimes, the high road is hard. 2 people have already mentioned her "parking in my spot" to me.Ā  Lol.Ā  It should be enough. I know I'm being stupid, but she's in this dumbĀ non competition with me.

Don't bite.

Just claim another parking spot and continue parking there even if you get in before her.

If she does the same and park in your new space then park back in the old one.

She's trying to get a reaction and confrontation out of you so she can make you look bad.

Don't fall for it.

Don't give her any reaction whatsoever.

• Like 3
  • Author
2 hours ago, stillafool said:

Instead of steaming about it why didn't you tell her that's your parking space and ask her if she was aware of it?

We don't have "assigned" spaces. So it's not really "mine" to claim but nobody else would ever park there even if I were on vacation. She's been here long enough to know (almost as long as me).

I know I'm being petty. She copies everything I do.Ā  Co workers point it out. I put a candle warmer on my desk, 2 days later she does, I bring in an electric tea kettle, a few days later, she does. I bought a special mouse pad, she gets the same thing. It's almost laughable. I should be good with that, but it just gets to me.

*a few months ago a guy who works in her area asked me "hey, canĀ  you get a mini fridge? I'd really like one on my side of the office!šŸ¤£šŸ¤£"*

Edited by SoulOfOne
  • Author
Just now, stillafool said:

Maybe try being flattered by her behavior since you won't address this with her.

I should.Ā  I know.Ā  Imitation is a form of flattery. You are right. It just bugs me bcz she says some real passive aggressive stuff.

I can see how frustrating it is hearing comments like that when youā€™ve worked hard to get to where you are. She certainly notices you. Iā€™d see coaching opportunities here and better rapport with colleagues.

This is a work setting or workplace. Try not to mix socials or gossip about each other at work. If others come to you to laugh at her let them know parking there isĀ not a big deal and change the subject. Create a better work environment. You have your relationships and reputation going for you so use it positively.

Edited by glows
  • Like 1

This person has a mental healthĀ problemĀ and I say don't engage with her. Let her have the parking spot and let her copy everything you do, but when she makes the next passive-aggressive comment don't give any reaction other than a two or three second blank stareĀ at herĀ and then walk away. Her being so jealous of you that she'sĀ obsessed is creepy and would be very difficult to tolerate in the workplace, so you're not being petty or stupid. If other colleagues are noticing her behaviour perhaps one of them could casually mention it so that she realises it's weird.

• Like 2
  • Author
On 2/10/2023 at 5:51 PM, glows said:

I can see how frustrating it is hearing comments like that when youā€™ve worked hard to get to where you are. She certainly notices you. Iā€™d see coaching opportunities here and better rapport with colleagues.

This is a work setting or workplace. Try not to mix socials or gossip about each other at work. If others come to you to laugh at her let them know parking there isĀ not a big deal and change the subject. Create a better work environment. You have your relationships and reputation going for you so use it positively.

Yes. Absolutely.Ā  I don't engage the gossip. I fear if others knew how it bugs me they might see me as the "petty" that I feel.Ā  I have just shrugged my shoulders and told them, "I just parked in another spot." Like it was no big deal. I did laugh when the CommentĀ about the mini fridge came at me-it was really funny. But other than that I let it go.

• Like 1
  • Author
On 2/11/2023 at 4:02 PM, MsJayne said:

This person has a mental healthĀ problemĀ and I say don't engage with her. Let her have the parking spot and let her copy everything you do, but when she makes the next passive-aggressive comment don't give any reaction other than a two or three second blank stareĀ at herĀ and then walk away. Her being so jealous of you that she'sĀ obsessed is creepy and would be very difficult to tolerate in the workplace, so you're not being petty or stupid. If other colleagues are noticing her behaviour perhaps one of them could casually mention it so that she realises it's weird.

She does seem a bit off.Ā  Really "fakey" voice used when some are around, sense of entitlement. People notice. I'm not sure anyone would say anything to her though.

I like the idea of claiming a different spot.Ā  Then she'll start parking there.Ā  And you can go back to your original.Ā  Just be sure that both of the spots are convenient.Ā 

I understand why you're peeved.Ā  I would be too.

• Like 2
Ɨ
Ɨ