"Just friends" - Is this a bad idea?

I met a really awesome guy, went out on a few dates, hung out a few times, everything going better than could be expected. Then I find out that after our 2nd date a girl that he had been pursuing before me had admitted that she had a crush on him all along. So now he is dating her and he and I are "just friends." Part of my downgrade in status is because he and she are looking for LTR where I had said I was not really looking for anything too serious.

The question is should I try just being friends with him, stop talking to him or try to win him back?

We have both admitted that it will be hard just being friends because we like each other a lot. We get along so fantastically well that it would be a shame not to have him as at least a friend. But I really want to be spared any further heart-ache.

You don't want to be friends with him so there's no point in trying. And why would you want to win someone back who has already made you a consolation prize?

• Author

Yeah, I thought "no" would be the answer. It just hurts. But I guess it would hurt more hanging around as a friend. I got the same advice from my psychiatrist. I guess you guys really know what you are talking about. ;)

I really didn't want to but I told him last night that at least for now I can't be his friend. He seemed pretty upset and hopes that I will feel better and be able to contact him in the future.

Painful...

It's always hard to lose someone you care about, BF. No matter how much you would like to keep him in your life in the end you will be the one who gets hurt. He doesn't care enough about you to want a relationship and you will resent him for that. Then your anger will end the relationship for the both of you. End it now before you get to that point.