If you were in this situation.

So, this may get confusing. I work for a company, and we are contractors, so as such, often we work with other companies. That being said, in my particular case, it is often a small group of people from each company-- on weekends in can be as little as 1 from my company and 1 from the other company.

Well, I have been contracted for a year. There was a girl who worked for the other company I thought was cute and we talk, but you know, there is that whole workplace romance being frowned upon thing - I"m actually not entirely sure the exact policy, but I know it wouldn't look good. Anyways, said girl always seems to be excited to see me. Well, on a few weekends it wound up being just two in the office where we work. Nothing happened, mostly because I really love my job and I'm not trying to risk losing it anytime soon, but I had to wonder if maybe some not so mentionable things have happened to other people in similar situations. My big fear is that, lets say we hit it off, but later I made her mad, it could spell disaster for me.

How long is she contracted for? Ask her out after she’s finished if it’s sooner than your yearlong contract. If you have any doubts about her character then do yourself a favour and avoid her.

Edited by glows
  • Author
On 12/21/2022 at 2:26 AM, glows said:

How long is she contracted for? Ask her out after she’s finished if it’s sooner than your yearlong contract. If you have any doubts about her character then do yourself a favour and avoid her.

She isn't a contractor. She doesn't travel (that I know of), but I do. Anyways, as per my police I imagine it says that I should not engage in relations with any former or future contractee/coworker/tc.

If you feel you can drop it, leave it be. If you really want to pursue it and you decide to get involved, meet with HR immediately for advice. The best you can do is be above board and be prepared to change company, even if just to protect yourself if it does go pear-shaped.  

6 hours ago, mlssufan01 said:

She isn't a contractor. She doesn't travel (that I know of), but I do. Anyways, as per my police I imagine it says that I should not engage in relations with any former or future contractee/coworker/tc.

At your discretion. I don’t agree with workplace dating but know many do it and form successful relationships. To be frank, from my observances most of those relationships or risks didn’t come from individuals who valued their workplace or jobs at the time and didn’t feel like they had much to lose. Or, romance and relationships ranked higher in priority. You have to weigh what makes sense to you here and what you’re willing to put up with should things take a turn. 

• Author

i mean, workplace dating is pretty much the norm in restaurant life... mainly because we work extended hours for little pay and never see anyone else, and it's a crap job, so who cares, but my new job is so much better lol. Mainly I found myself in a precarious position. thankfully I found some restraint.

• Like 1