How should I respond?

[I am hoping for feedback, especially from women] I am 23 and just had a heartbreaking break up with my College sweat heart.. A person I vaguely remember from high school contacted me and really wanted to snap chat. Well, here is some background info. My mother (rich widow) who has sat on the board of a major corporation moved me to Springfield , Missouri my senior year. Since the beginning of that year I have worn a full suit (blazer with white color only button down collar dress shirt and multi-colored neck tie) as my regular form of dress much per my mother's request. 

My personal appearance and nose in the air attitude drew resentment. A smaller (5'7 to my 5'10 height) but as I soon found out stronger and rougher male wearing jeans and a t-shirt started a fight and really thrasher me. It was a mortifying incident but I not only came to school the next day but wore a collar bar to accentuate the knot (something I otherwise generally don't do). I also disinfected my clothing for lice.

The female I was telling about earlier said she was in the audience and had been crushing on me. I didn't remember her in particular. (When she sent me a picture, I remembered seeing her in other contexts. Just really the two girls that butted (to dust me off readjust my clothing and walked me home) in after he had let me go. And the one in the audience who was scoffing - obviously not my contactor. Just wanted advise on how to respond and if I should ask her how she knew I was currently single.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
thread is open to all who wish to comment

I am sorry you had that experience, OP. I hope you are not still currently under your mom's thumb.

I wouldn't ask this woman how she knew you were single. It sounds like an old acquaintance who wants to get in touch again, so keep it light. Is she is in your area? 

5 hours ago, MElkington said:

My personal appearance and nose in the air attitude drew resentment. 

I'm not sure how this ended up in a fight, but people generally don't warm to those who look down on others. 

I know this isn't your question, but why do you choose to wear the clothes your mother picks?  And why do you choose to look down on others?   Your social and dating life would surely  improve if you looked and acted like a regular guy.

6 hours ago, MElkington said:

I am 23 and just had a heartbreaking break up with my College sweat heart.. A person I vaguely remember from high school contacted me and really wanted to snap chat. 

Sorry this happened. What was the breakup about? How long were you dating? 

Are you and the highschool friend near each other?  If you want to catch up with high school friends, that's great.

As far as dating goes, take some time off and when you are ready, get a good profile and pics on quality dating apps and start talking to and meeting local interested women.

Just reply with "Yeah, I am single, how about you?" Or something equally dull.

Edited by Alpacalia
  • Like 2
  • Author

I actually will ..maybe the exact quote you gave me. It is time for me to ask questions. Then let her talk. I was a little disconcerted by how she immediately knew Like I am being stalked. This and the particular incident she brought up.

• Author
15 hours ago, basil67 said:

I'm not sure how this ended up in a fight, but people generally don't warm to those who look down on others. 

I know this isn't your question, but why do you choose to wear the clothes your mother picks?  And why do you choose to look down on others?   Your social and dating life would surely  improve if you looked and acted like a regular guy.

My mother footed the bill and I was very agreeable to it. She always said her "endeavors have been quite successful." The previous Summer and into the Fall she and I would go clothes shopping every Friday Evening. I really cared how women (not guys!) responded. My attitude was really a reaction their snide remarks. And do you think ripped jeans and heavy metal t-shirts are (or should be) regular. Of course, there are places that a full suit would be inappropriate/publicity stunt but not high school or anything .... And I have to get back to finish this post later since an unforeseen event just took priority.

7 hours ago, MElkington said:

I actually will ..maybe the exact quote you gave me. It is time for me to ask questions. Then let her talk. I was a little disconcerted by how she immediately knew Like I am being stalked. This and the particular incident she brought up.

What are you referring to? 

You seem to think she is out to get you. 

Speak with her in person and forget the texting or snapchats. This could be some other guy at school or a bunch of them playing a prank. The photo doesn’t mean anything and could have been easily swiped off social media. It doesn’t make sense why someone from your old school was in the audience in Missouri (new school). 

If the person doesn’t want to meet up for a chat, block and delete.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author
On 11/17/2022 at 6:19 PM, glows said:

Speak with her in person and forget the texting or snapchats. This could be some other guy at school or a bunch of them playing a prank. The photo doesn’t mean anything and could have been easily swiped off social media. It doesn’t make sense why someone from your old school was in the audience in Missouri (new school). 

If the person doesn’t want to meet up for a chat, block and delete.

Yes, I have been away from this site for a while. I think you may have misunderstood. I came to Springfield my senior year. My father had died several years hence - 35 years older than my mother. [ ]

It was the incident about me that was most memorable - but her friend tapped her on the shoulder after it was over and they quietly left. The girls there that I remember were either scoffing, dismayed or the one that butted in, brushed off my blazer, readjusted my necktie and walked me home - lost my virginity to. 

Ya, I was taken aback and probably will not follow up - especially with another female in the offing - but this turned out to not be a catfish.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
locations