I hate how my aspergers is seen in the workplace (interviews especially)

JustGettingBy

As I posted a few months ago, I was laid off from a solid job that I had enjoyed a few months ago. Now, I've had plenty of interviews since (I think I'm over 20 interviews now) and still haven't landed a position. I've even been interviewed for positions that come very close to six figures. Considering I'm barely into  Feeling that my aspergers was largely part of it (statistically, its the most common case), and the unemployment rate for qualified people with aspergers is 50% to 85%. I feel that there was some weird quirk, and even got some public job coaching, and each of these job coaches have all said that I've been doing well, and they can't even pick out what's wrong. My mental health is spiralling out of control, and I've booked a therapy session since my family stated voicing concern over me going into crisis (I don't think it'll get to that point any time soon, but I'm being proactive just in case). I've considered starting my own business instead or taking my side-hustles to full-time hours, but both of those just kick the can down the road. Getting clients for my own business is the same as a job interview, so it makes the same problem, and I feel I would hate my side-hustles after just a few months, when now I'm enjoying them, and they're one of the few things in my life that genuinely make me happy. I literally don't know how to make a living, despite being competent and hard-working enough for very lucrative positions.

7 hours ago, JustGettingBy said:

I've booked a therapy session since my family stated voicing concern over me going into crisis 

Sorry this is happening. It's great you're taking care of yourself. Maybe these just aren't a good fit company culture wise. Not sure of the laws in your area but employers can't ask about mental or physical health problems during an interview where I am. So try not to roll ASD into this since you've been successfully employed before.

• Author
JustGettingBy
16 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Sorry this is happening. It's great you're taking care of yourself. Maybe these just aren't a good fit company culture wise. Not sure of the laws in your area but employers can't ask about mental or physical health problems during an interview where I am. So try not to roll ASD into this since you've been successfully employed before.

Thanks for the response, but it doesn't really matter if I bring it up, it will, in some subtle way, bleed through just enough to turn the employer off in small ways that are just enough for me not to get a job. I think after over 20 interviews the 'not the right fit' idea doesn't hold as much weight, as much as I wish it did.

At the moment, I feel like my mental health is at the point where I'm just finally going to lose it and snap at someone who doesn't deserve it. Literally, the worst part of having any form of ASD isn't anything with the disorder itself, but with the ways people will dismiss or attack me for minute differences, especially when its like me where the disorder is mild enough that I can somewhat blend in.

• Thanks 1

What are some ways you feel attacked or dismissed? Were there instances in your previous job or any social situations where you thought this happened? 

Regarding the job search, are you being flexible or open to a number of industries? What about exploring a different aspect of whatever expertise you have? 

• 1 month later...
  • Author
JustGettingBy
On 10/27/2022 at 11:52 PM, glows said:

What are some ways you feel attacked or dismissed? Were there instances in your previous job or any social situations where you thought this happened? 

Regarding the job search, are you being flexible or open to a number of industries? What about exploring a different aspect of whatever expertise you have? 

Sorry for the delay, I forgot I posted this here.

Its probably not even a conscious dismissal, but so much of "oh he answered this question in an unorthodox way, there's no way he could possibly handle the job (a job that has nothing in common with answering questions with stuff that's just thinly veiled versions of the truth. Anyone with the time can read this for the full general idea (not my writing, so nobody

I'm a bit flexible. My expertise is marketing, so it's a relatively versatile industry, with a number of 'related' industries.

• Like 1
  • Author
JustGettingBy
On 10/27/2022 at 11:52 PM, glows said:

Sorry for the delay, I forgot I posted this here.

Its probably not even a conscious dismissal, but so much of "oh he answered this question in an unorthodox way, there's no way he could possibly handle the job (a job that has nothing in common with answering questions with stuff that's just thinly veiled versions of the truth. Anyone with the time can read this for the full general idea (not my writing, so nobody

I'm a bit flexible. My expertise is marketing, so it's a relatively versatile industry, with a number of 'related' industries.