Can a friendship where guy teases girl develop into romance

Hi

We are in our 40s and have been friends for years.

Since i have known him he has teased me.

We were also intimate a few times.

My friend says since he teases me also when we are around our friends we won't ever be in a romantic relationship since it will ve weird as he cant tease me if i am his girlfriend. A boyfriend doesnt tease his girlfriend like that

Thoughts please?

Thanks

What your friend thinks doesn’t matter. If he isn’t asking you out or wanting to date you all this is a chatter and small talk. 

How old are both of you? Has he asked you out? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pepsizero said:

We are in our 40s and have been friends for years. We were also intimate a few times.

Are either of you in other relationships? Or recently divorced/broken up? What do you mean by "teasing"? Sounds like game playing or disrespect for you, especially since you were once intimate.

What exactly would you like to see happening with him? Friends? FWB? Dating? A relationship?

The answer to the question you pose in the title of this thread is "of course."   Teasing can be flirting.   Plenty of relationships began with flirting.

But, then you mention that you have been "intimate," so now the answer is firmly  95.764% "probably not." 

What you have going on with this guy is the extent of your relationship.   You appear to be FWBs and there is no sign that this is moving in any new directions.  I sure hope you aren't wasting time fantasizing about this going anywhere.   If you'd like to find a boyfriend, look elsewhere.

Your friend is wrong about the teasing - lots of people tease their romantic partners.   In this case, though,  it's not leading anywhere further than where things have already gone. 

• Like 1
On 8/28/2022 at 8:45 AM, Pepsizero said:

My friend says since he teases me also when we are around our friends we won't ever be in a romantic relationship since it will ve weird as he cant tease me if i am his girlfriend.

I'd give no merit to what your friend says here. Only you and he know where this can go. If you are both single and attracted to one another go for it. Have some fun and see where it leads.

On 8/28/2022 at 8:45 AM, Pepsizero said:

We were also intimate a few times.

Why haven't you two dated or are in a relationship by now.  Do you want to be exclusive with him?