How to get my daughter from controlling me?

Findingreliefsomehow

On 10/20/2022 at 9:39 AM, glows said:

The OP’s situation matches multiple threads posted under other names. This is ongoing for some time. I treated it as a separate thread but also remember other aliases. 

OP, is this correct?  If so, please consider updating a previous post or sharing more detail here.  No one can give you good advice if you are hiding parts of the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Adult daughter doesn’t want my boyfriend I’ve been dating over a year at thanksgiving dinner. Either she wants just my adult son and I to visit her and my son in law for the holiday out of state or they will come to my home but either way she only wants it to be us. I’ve had done boyfriends in prior years at the holiday dinner and sometimes it’s stressful. My bf has no plans since his kids will are invited to the ex. What’s the right thing to do?

I would just stay home and cook Thanksgiving dinner for you and your boyfriend.  If your daughter doesn't want him there that's her perogative but you have every right to spend Thanksgiving with the man you love.  Your daughter is probably going to have her man at her house on that day so spend the day with yours.  If that upsets her so be it.

Edited by stillafool

Is there a problem between your boyfriend and your adult daughter?

Your romantic interest might not be wanted at your adult child's family gathering. Accepting that, but let her know you expect her to show up at your holiday party where they'll be able to have a chance to talk with each other. Be careful not to let your children dictate how everything is going to be handled. If you have to give in in a certain area, then do it, but if it is important to you, then stand your ground.

If you are going to her place - her roof, her rules. It would be incredibly rude to bring your bf if the host has explicitly said he isn't welcome.

If you are hosting at your place, you can just let her know that he will be there, since it's your house. She will probably decide not to attend, in that case, so be prepared for that outcome.