do you write letters to try and change unfair/unsafe things?

I've spent the day writing some proposals which I'll send to some people who could help. 

I've always done this, but my friend says most people don't get involved unless it's 'their fight'.

What do people think? 

• Like 1

Your friend is probably correct that most people don't do it.  But I've done my share of activism and have a number of friends who are involved in different causes.  Some are friends and others are community members who I met when we needed a resident action group.  I believe there are enough people who do get involved to make a difference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Author
1 minute ago, basil67 said:

I believe there are enough people who do get involved to make a difference. 

That's what I thought.

People evolve, society evolves. 

I was just thinking further..... with regards to people only getting involved in 'their fight', it can get overwhelming doing all the fighting and so knowing others will do their own work on their own issue spreads the load.  For instance, our resident action group got a name for itself by fighting one major concern.  Then residents started coming to us with other issues in the community, but we couldn't take those issues on because we were already at capacity mental load with this one big thing.   So they then orchestrated their own battle and the load got spread.

Edited by basil67
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, SingFish said:

I've spent the day writing some proposals which I'll send to some people who could help. I've always done this, but my friend says most people don't get involved unless it's 'their fight'.

It depends on what it is. A letter to local officials, politicians, organizations? A letter to a company about a consumer complaint? Do whatever works, your friend doesn't have to join in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1