Since 2020, I have started to struggle more and more with making decisions, sometimes about mundane things, but mostly with anything related to finances (purchases), social interactions (going out with friends - I ask myself "what if it turns out to be a waste of time?" even on days when I have nothing better to do), etc.

What are some good ways to overcome this. I realize that indecision can be a symptom of depression and I'm working on that, but what are some good ways to tackle indecision head on?

Happy Lemming

As far as purchases/finances, do you have a monthly budget??  Are you saving at least 20% for your retirement or long term savings??  Ask yourself do I really need that item or do I want that item??  Is the item a large purchase, would you be better off renting the item and returning it??  If it is an item that is a large purchase and you truly need it, save up for it and wait a week or so before purchasing the item and reassess how you feel before the purchase.

As for going out with friends... I guess its a "crap shoot"; yes it could be fun or it could be a waste of your time.  If you have nothing else going on, why not go for it and interact with other people.  If nothing else, it would be a change of scenery.

The decision making process may be helped by making a list of pros/cons.  If I do "A", the pros are #1, #2 and #3, and the cons are just #4. 

6 hours ago, Logo said:

. I realize that indecision can be a symptom of depression and I'm working on that, but what are some good ways to tackle indecision head on?

Yes it can be.  There is no right or wrong. Just whatever is right for you. Indecisiveness is paralysing.  

There's a difference between deliberating and indecisiveness.

Ironically indecisiveness often leads to impulsive poor choices.

Find out what the holdup is. Is it inertia? Do what you want to and have to.

What exactly are you indecisive about?

Edited by Wiseman2
7 hours ago, Logo said:

Since 2020, I have started to struggle more and more with making decisions, sometimes about mundane things, but mostly with anything related to finances (purchases), social interactions (going out with friends - I ask myself "what if it turns out to be a waste of time?" even on days when I have nothing better to do), etc.

What are some good ways to overcome this. I realize that indecision can be a symptom of depression and I'm working on that, but what are some good ways to tackle indecision head on?

You may be reevaluating your choices or lifestyle subconsciously and questioning whether previous purchases or friendships or interests are worth the time or money you're spending on them. This is a great opportunity to rethink old habits. 

If you're rethinking your choice in friendships and whether they're superfluous or meaningful maybe you might decide to spend more time with some and less with others. It's not a huge deal in the larger scheme of things and just a little tweaking and adjustments here and there. 

Remember to keep coming back to things/causes/interests/goals that matter to you. Everything else usually falls into place after that and you'll prioritize accordingly or practice prioritizing what's important to you. You won't have to think about it so often after awhile and it'll come as second nature.

If you don't make a decision, one is made for you, so that in itself is a decision. 

Being stalled out ruminating could be anxiety and depression related, yes.

See a physician for an evaluation of your physical and mental health. Get some tests done. Ask for a referral to a qualified therapist for ongoing support.

Everyday life shouldn't feel like a NASA mission. If it does, it's time to get help with that.

• Like 1