Connecticut Divorce - Alimony?

msmith434343

Hi everyone!

I have filed for divorce in Connecticut where my husband is living and he met the residency requirements.

Have any of you been through divorce in CT with no children involved? I was curious if you received alimony, and if so, how much, if you don't mind me asking? Did your spouse cheat on you and the judge took that into consideration in the alimony decision?

Apparently, each judge is different as far as awarding alimony or not, and if so, how much is completely up to each judge's discretion. There is no formula like there would be with child support.

He makes $200,000+/year and I make less than $40,000 so not near enough to support myself by myself. Ugh.

He had a three-month-long affair, planning a new life with her, etc., spoiling her rotten with money we did not have. The affair is only over because I found out when he sent me a text meant for her by mistake.  He had also been soliciting prostitutes, which I had no idea of and was pretty shocked, as well as spent every single penny we had of our life savings on a business that failed in months.  We literally have no savings. There will just be the equity in our house.  But he does make a lot of money.

We have been married 24 years, I'm 58 years old with zero savings, nothing.  I can't believe what has become of my life.  Yikes.

Anyway, curious about what alimony you were awarded, if any, and if the judge took cheating into consideration or not. I know they CAN, just curious of the experience of those who have actually gone through a divorce in CT in my situation and the result. If you don't feel free posting, please message me. 

Thank you! 

Melissa

stillafool

Are you disabled in any way?  There are many people who live on $40,000/year.  Not easy but it's done.  Being married 24 years you probably own a home together which can be sold and money split.  Would that help you?

Edited by stillafool
  • Author
msmith434343

Hi.  Yes, I will get half of the equity in the house, but it's not all that much when you consider we now have now savings for the future.  I am not disabled.  I do have a medical issue, but I've always worked.  I'm in Texas where we are exploding with growth by the day and has become extremely expensive.  I will move an hour or so away from the metro area I'm in now to get my houses expenses down, but my children and grandchildren live here, so I don't want to have to move too far away.  

mark clemson

These questions would seem to be best answered by an attorney licensed in Connecticut.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, msmith434343 said:

We have been married 24 years, I'm 58 years old with zero savings, nothing.  I can't believe what has become of my life.  Yikes.

Sorry this is happening. You need to contact an attorney about your situation and all the financial particulars. A good attorney will not only advise you best but may make the spouse pay your legal fees.

Be sure you file first. Be the plaintive, not the defendant. Get a wolverine for an attorney and make the demand you want and the attorneys will negotiate from there. Anecdotal stories are not legal advice so call an attorney.

• Author
msmith434343

Oh, I've already filed and all of that.  I interviewed seven attorneys - lol - to make sure the best I could they were tough, plus practiced in that court often. 

The attorney has explained how alimony works there - solely judge's discretion, no formula for it.  Could be 0, could be more.  So that's why I was curious what people who have actually been divorced in CT have experienced.  Thanks!

19 minutes ago, msmith434343 said:

Oh, I've already filed and all of that.  I interviewed seven attorneys - lol - to make sure the best I could they were tough, plus practiced in that court often. 

The attorney has explained how alimony works there - solely judge's discretion, no formula for it.  Could be 0, could be more.  So that's why I was curious what people who have actually been divorced in CT have experienced.  Thanks!

Your attorney should be able to tell you the factors the judge considers (there are always factors, or is your attorney just conditioning the landscape in case they fail), for example where I live (not CT) affairs didn't mean anything and they didn't want to hear it unless one spent a material amount of the marital assets on the other woman/man.  What seemed to matter most where I lived was if one person didn't work and took care of the house and kids...and the more years that went on the more likely you got alimony.  Also your attorney should be able to tell you what the judge you got typically does and what they consider important.  

• Like 1