Messed up a perfect opportunity

OMG people I can’t even ….. I don’t even know where to begin - so I received a request for a quotation from one of my most desired clients in the whole world. Literally! I was so excited that I had this opportunity because this was an org. I have always wanted to work with. So I drafted and drafted and tweaked and tweaked - for 2 days literally - in order to create the perfect email reply possible. No details about pricing yet - but definitely stating my point about how excited I am and how we would be such a good match and why. 

When it finally looked perfect, I read through it, and I was really pleased with myself. I had brought the point across, I had highlighted all my accomplishments in the past that they were looking for, the whole thing read really well, and I clicked send.

I kept working on all this other stuff all day long until just now, when I wanted to read through my sent email one more time (I do this sometimes for reassurance). Just to convince myself it was good and I could sit back and relax, enjoy the weekend and didn’t have to do anything but wait for them to reach out for more details on pricing, NDAs, and contracting etc. I was so convinced that this was it!

And then I saw it: I had sent out the draft email along with it, which was completely ridiculous because it was more like a random collection of thoughts.

I’m floored …… i’m sure this has happened to other people and it’s not the end of the world, but this is a company I’ve admired and they would 100% match my portfolio, and my expertise, but there is just no way to make this better. I will definitely not get this contract and I’m just so mad at myself. Gah! Just venting I guess ….. oh the embarrassment! It’s not even about $$ anymore at this point 

Edited by BrinnM
4 minutes ago, BrinnM said:

then I saw it: I had sent out the draft email along with it, which was completely ridiculous because it was more like a random collection of thoughts.

That's ok. They may like your candor and thought processes. If they respond own it, that's all. Tell them Happy April Fool's day.

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Like 1
  • Author

Candor lol - I wish…. I could literally smack myself in the head right now so hard it’s not even funny anymore. And April fools day … I don’t think it’s gonna fly. There will never be a reply anyway 

Edited by BrinnM
2 hours ago, BrinnM said:

Candor lol - I wish…. I could literally smack myself in the head right now so hard it’s not even funny anymore. And April fools day … I don’t think it’s gonna fly. There will never be a reply anyway 

Stay positive! I've got so many contracts over the years literally because the people thought I was a bit crazy. My latest job I sent the woman a bunch of photos instead of a resume and she completely 'got' why and things have worked well between us since. 

Having a sense of humor and being able to own mistakes is important, as is perspective. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Eternal Sunshine

This wouldn't put me off at all if I was your prospective client. I would actually like the fact that you put so much thought and effort into drafting your email.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1