Is listening to music while working out, bad for you, if you have to turn the volume up?

When I got to the gym, it helps me exercise a lot more if I can listen to my own music.  But in order to drown out the music they blast over the music at the gym, I have to turn up the headphones kind of loud, but is that bad for me or is it most likely okay, since other people do that normally as well?

• Author

Okay thanks.  I can do what the article said and not go over 80 percent.  However, I have two volumes.  The one on the headphones and the one on my phone.  Do both volumes have to be turned up to 80 percent to be considered 80 percent if anyone knows?

You could simply use your senses to determine if the music is too loud.  Does it hurt your ears?   Do you find relief when you turn the music off?   If you have the same volume when you're not competing with gym noise, is it too loud?   Do your ears ring after taking them off?   

You also need to consider the duration.  Loud noise for short intervals doesn't do the damage which it would do over long intervals.  

• Like 2
  • Author

Oh okay thanks.  Well I use them for about  3 hours a week in working out, since I don't use them for the entire 6 hours of working out.  It deosn't feel too loud if I am trying to block out other noise, but it does feel too loud if there is no outside noise to block out if that makes sense.

If they feel too loud without outside noise, then they are too loud.   Go and research how long you can wear them for without causing damage.  

• Author
Just now, basil67 said:

If they feel too loud without outside noise, then they are too loud.   Go and research how long you can wear them for without causing damage.  

Okay thanks that makes sense.  Is there a way to block out the outside noise without turning up the volume?

noise cancelling headphones.   They are expensive though

Edited by basil67
  • Like 2
  • Author
Just now, basil67 said:

noise cancelling headphones.   They are expensive though

Oh okay, thanks I look them up, but I think I have these.  I have closed ear ones, but those are the ones I have been using if that's the same thing.

If you're having to turn up your music loud to block noise, then they likely aren't noise cancelling headphones. 

• Author
21 minutes ago, basil67 said:

If you're having to turn up your music loud to block noise, then they likely aren't noise cancelling headphones. 

Okay thanks.  They look the same in pictures, but I will try to go for the noise cancelling ones then.  Thanks.

I have a good pair that I purchased on Amazon for under $50.

They're not Bose or Beats by Dre but they're pretty good.

Edited by Alpaca
  • Like 1

You can get a hearing test at the doctor's office. Some audiologists may be able to help you if you don't want to google or research how to best protect your hearing.

• Author
21 hours ago, basil67 said:

Ah yes, the technology is quite different.  Try them instore before buying

The stores so far do not have these headphones on the shelf to try, becaues they are not popular enough unless you order them I suppose.  However, if they are the same headphones that production sound mixers use for recording on movie shooting sets, I already have a pair of those if those are the same thing.  I just never use it for the gym, because I didn't want to wear them out as fast.

10 minutes ago, ironpony said:

The stores so far do not have these headphones on the shelf to try, becaues they are not popular enough unless you order them I suppose.  However, if they are the same headphones that production sound mixers use for recording on movie shooting sets, I already have a pair of those if those are the same thing.  I just never use it for the gym, because I didn't want to wear them out as fast.

Ok, so how do you solve this conundrum?  

• Like 1