Why do people who have suffered trauma like to wear black?

RyanM

5 minutes ago, RyanM said:

Yes. Several people. I just noticed a pattern.

Well, I know a lot of people who wear black. And I suppose you don’t get to live to a ripe age without some “trauma” whatever that may mean. 

Then we’ll all attend each others’ funerals presumably wearing black, further traumatized or traumatizing each other thoroughly with more black. It’s a cycle.

If it's for a funeral, there is a long standing tradition in many cultures of wearing black when in mourning. 

But I've never heard of wearing black for general "trauma".   Perhaps they just like wearing black?

4 hours ago, RyanM said:

Yes. Several people. I just noticed a pattern.

Are you suffering from trauma? Do you wear black a lot? It's unclear how these premises and conclusions are arrived at. If you mean at funerals yes, somber attire is respectful.

black is very slimming.  maybe they're not having general trauma but just hiding their fat.

• Author

The reason I asked is because (among other things) I met individuals where a family member was molested. Both told me that their family member began to only wear black after the incidents occurred.

55 minutes ago, RyanM said:

The reason I asked is because (among other things) I met individuals where a family member was molested. Both told me that their family member began to only wear black after the incidents occurred.

They probably don’t want to attract attention. Black helps you feel like you’re not visible. 

On 3/22/2022 at 6:14 PM, RyanM said:

Then that is the coping mechanism they've chosen for their own mental health needs.  It's no one's place to tell them to dress differently or to get over their trauma on someone else's time table.

Edited by kendahke

Our outside usually reflects our inside but people wearing black are not always sad. Some of them it's simply fashion. But if someone you know indeed is struggling with happiness and is dressing black always, it could be because that's how they feel inside. 

mortensorchid

It's traditional to wear black for funerals because it's supposed to show sadness.  It's how you feel inside.  [ ]

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
rude