Will you continue to wear mask?

I'm a bit hyper cautious because I'm becoming an old fuddy duddy who's more worried about getting sick and dying than I am about my own personal vanity (welcome to mid-life, lol). But as much as I complain about people who are lax with masking and vaccinations, I've wondered how I'd be if I were in my 20s, and I have to admit I probably wouldn't wear masks in public. I'd be too self-conscious. I'd be out partying, drinking, and probably going maskless. 

• Like 1

I'm with you @amerikajin: I'm middle-aged and have seen the deaths of two siblings and both parents. Mortality and risk is high on my mind. and I've been super-cautious as a result.

And yes, I admit that if I were younger, I'd probably be a lot less fearful. This admission helps me get off my high horse of judgement. And in fact, I am going to go out more. Heck I've got great N95 masks--seems to me right now that I ought to put one on, get a good seal and go enjoy some activities. I want to be a bit more out into the world because my mood just needs that social interaction. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, Lotsgoingon said:

I'm with you @amerikajin: I'm middle-aged and have seen the deaths of two siblings and both parents. Mortality and risk is high on my mind. and I've been super-cautious as a result.

And yes, I admit that if I were younger, I'd probably be a lot less fearful. This admission helps me get off my high horse of judgement. And in fact, I am going to go out more. Heck I've got great N95 masks--seems to me right now that I ought to put one on, get a good seal and go enjoy some activities. I want to be a bit more out into the world because my mood just needs that social interaction. 

Wait, two of your siblings and both of your parents died?! If I'm reading it right, all I can say is, I'm really sorry. 

Yep ... and my final sibling is ailing right now ... bad luck and bad health ... the funny thing is my parents lived til their 90s ... my siblings didn't get close to that ... I want to get at least close to my parents before I depart.  

And thanks for the condolence ... I've had time to do some grieving, though with so many people dying in a short period of time, grief gets overwhelmed and confused ... the funny thing is the best antidote to grief was having social fun, interacting with people, going out a lot ... experiencing just the everyday joy of life and other people. Then came covid.

The vaccinated are no longer concerned with social distancing/masking...unless it's really necessary (like at a Doctors office)

Where I live, I've eased up on my personal restrictions, and so have a lot of my friends. I actually had my first Christmas gathering with family and friends, all vaccinated, not masking, not socially distancing.

When I told my more....restrictive friend this...he said he still doesn't do that, which I found a little odd as he has no reason to as he's only around his wife, who is fully vaxxed like him.  He's still treating it like the pre-vaccation days.

Some that catch Covid, recover easily and easily just laugh it off like "Oh lol...yeah I got Covid, laid around the house a few days and back at 'em  !"

One even posted her positive result and she's showing a picture of herself (selfie) smiling with her cat...like it's no big thing.

Many here at work are catching it, taking time off, and coming back. 

People are recovering from it as if it were some bad cold now...no biggie....well, at least for the vaccinated. I stopped giving a crap about social distancing around my vaccinated friends.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday, the province I live in suddenly announced, with no warning whatsoever, that the restrictions, including mandatory vaccinations, masks wearing, vaccine passports would all be gone here by the end of March.

I find that so strange. It was so out of the blue.

All restrictions in England, including isolation when you have covid, have been lifted as of yesterday.

So now, you can have covid, but you don't legally have to stay home, much like with any other illness. 

While I feel it might be a bit too soon, eventually these restrictions do need to go. We need to go back to normal, and live with covid the same way we live wih dozens of other respiratory illnesses.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ASG said:

All restrictions in England, including isolation when you have covid, have been lifted as of yesterday.

So now, you can have covid, but you don't legally have to stay home, much like with any other illness. 

While I feel it might be a bit too soon, eventually these restrictions do need to go. We need to go back to normal, and live with covid the same way we live wih dozens of other respiratory illnesses.

What you say makes sense. I guess I'm just surprised by the suddenness of the decisions/ We went, it seems overnight, from mandatory vaccinations, lots of restrictions, etc. to nothing at he end of next month.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, pepperbird2 said:

What you say makes sense. I guess I'm just surprised by the suddenness of the decisions/ We went, it seems overnight, from mandatory vaccinations, lots of restrictions, etc. to nothing at he end of next month.

There's a month to go. 

It's not that sudden. 

Sudden would be if restrictions were lifted tomorrow. 

Again, in England they announced on Monday that all restrictions would be lifted on Thursday! 

That was a lot more sudden, though the PM had already said he was looking to do that, anyway. 

• Like 1

My feeling is people can still wear their masks, social distance and get the booster shots as they come out ( which I will do ) so it's on them now. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ASG said:

There's a month to go. 

It's not that sudden. 

Sudden would be if restrictions were lifted tomorrow. 

Again, in England they announced on Monday that all restrictions would be lifted on Thursday! 

That was a lot more sudden, though the PM had already said he was looking to do that, anyway. 

I think my surprise is a function of living where i do. It takes forever for our government to do anything,lol.

• Like 1

My dr was saying last week she's seen hardly any flu this season, which she attributes to mask wearing and people taking more infection control precaustions.

I will continue to use my mask until the infections go down with Covid. And maybe in future when it seems necessary. Wondering what other people think?

• Like 1
Happy Lemming

Yes... my girlfriend and I always wear masks when we go out.  I've gotten used to it, so has she.

• Like 3

I wear my mask to protect those around me who are unable to get vaccinated. I'll probably continue to do so. I also noticed how the flu seasons for the past two years have been minimal. I don't care what anyone says. Clearly masks DO make a difference.

• Like 2
dramafreezone

I will wear my mask in accordance with FDA regulations.  If masks are required I will wear.  If they are advised I'll make the call based on my surroundings.

• Like 2
On 2/25/2022 at 12:08 PM, SingFish said:

My dr was saying last week she's seen hardly any flu this season, which she attributes to mask wearing and people taking more infection control precaustions.

I will continue to use my mask until the infections go down with Covid. And maybe in future when it seems necessary. Wondering what other people think?

What metric are you using where infections are down far enough you'd be comfortable without a mask?

1 hour ago, max3732 said:

What metric are you using where infections are down far enough you'd be comfortable without a mask?

we're at about 400 new infections a day here, down from thousands a few weeks ago at the height of this latest wave. But at a job yesterday there was an outbreak quarantined. Basically I'll go off what I'm seeing and hearing! And my instinct. I avoid indoor crowds anyway. CDC is saying it's not the number of infections but the number of hospitalizations is important for community management purposes. 

I've had 3 shots and will get a 4th if it's recommended. 

• Like 1
On 2/26/2022 at 10:44 PM, SingFish said:

we're at about 400 new infections a day here, down from thousands a few weeks ago at the height of this latest wave. But at a job yesterday there was an outbreak quarantined. Basically I'll go off what I'm seeing and hearing! And my instinct. I avoid indoor crowds anyway. CDC is saying it's not the number of infections but the number of hospitalizations is important for community management purposes. 

I've had 3 shots and will get a 4th if it's recommended. 

Indeed. 

Where I'm from, we had a peak of about 60k infections per day, but hospitalizations never really went critical. ICU in particular stayed far below the warning line imposed by the government (when last year during the Alpha peak it was 4 times that number and the health system was on the brink of collapse).

And it also came to light that most hospital admissions were not BECAUSE of covid, but people had tested positive as they were admitted, and had to be put in the covid wings, and were thus counted as covid hospitalizations. 

• Like 1