New Job Anxiety

I recently had my orientation and pre-training for a hospital that I will be working at.

It's in the diagnostic imaging near the ER unit.

It was super fast and extremely intimidating.

The hospital coordinator took me down multiple corridors explaining which entrance is for which and where all the medical rooms are for different radiology modalities. He was talking and walking so fast it was hard to keep up with him.

I still have a few weeks before I start but am panicking a little.

It made me feel like I'm really not cut out for it and haven't even started.

And, I still have additional education that I need to complete in tandem.

I've been nervous starting a new job before but this feels a bit different.

What are some good ways to deal.

• Sad 1
ClearEyes-FullHeart

That does sound intimidating. Is it possible for you to go back to the hospital before you start to walk through it solo or with another person and get better familiarized with the layout and location of all the rooms you will be supporting? Once you become more familiar with the physical space I am sure things will fall in place.

I’ve often felt sort of lost in new workplaces in the early days as all the hallways and corridors look identical.

Good luck and congratulations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Author
10 hours ago, ClearEyes-FullHeart said:

That does sound intimidating. Is it possible for you to go back to the hospital before you start to walk through it solo or with another person and get better familiarized with the layout and location of all the rooms you will be supporting? Once you become more familiar with the physical space I am sure things will fall in place.

I’ve often felt sort of lost in new workplaces in the early days as all the hallways and corridors look identical.

Good luck and congratulations.

Hmm.

Not a bad idea at all! 

Maybe I could try that and see if they would let me.

I have a really good pair of sneakers that I purchased for when I start but I was wearing dress shoes during my orientation so that's probably why I was having such a hard time keeping up with him (the Hospital Coordinator).

I was going to shake his hand at the end to thank him but he didn't and that he doesn't always know whether or not to shake hands.

I'm wondering if you're not supposed to do that in a medical setting with senior staff?

Anywho, in the beginning I'll be shadowing a lot of the staff as part of training so I'm sure I'll get used to it. It's just a bit overwhelming it's a completely new field for me.

Thank you for your kind words! 🙂

Edited by Alpaca
ClearEyes-FullHeart

Maybe due to covid handshaking it not something people do at the hospital and other workplaces, I WFH so really don’t know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ever be too shy to speak up and be direct.... In that situation I probably would have said, "Whoa, this is a lot of information to take in, should I be writing this all down?  I'm not sure I'll remember all this."  I'm guessing that it's not like you have to memorize it all right away, you will become familiar over time and you'll have other chances to go over this stuff.

5 hours ago, Alpaca said:

I was going to shake his hand at the end to thank him but he didn't and that he doesn't always know whether or not to shake hands.

I'm wondering if you're not supposed to do that in a medical setting with senior staff?

Regarding this, I think handshaking has become a lot less prevalent ever since Covid.  Especially in a medical setting, people generally are not shaking hands anymore.

• Like 2

Any type of change is challenging I guess,

dont be intimidated by your capabilities, Im sure you will be fine,

then on the other hand, no harm in trying it and walking away if you feel it is not for you.

Edited by Foxhall
  • Thanks 1

@Alpaca chill, you won't be expected to hit the ground running.

It takes a while to get the hang of a new environment and get organised, and that is understood.

Edited by balin
  • Thanks 1
dramafreezone
On 2/20/2022 at 2:37 PM, Alpaca said:

I recently had my orientation and pre-training for a hospital that I will be working at.

It's in the diagnostic imaging near the ER unit.

It was super fast and extremely intimidating.

The hospital coordinator took me down multiple corridors explaining which entrance is for which and where all the medical rooms are for different radiology modalities. He was talking and walking so fast it was hard to keep up with him.

I still have a few weeks before I start but am panicking a little.

It made me feel like I'm really not cut out for it and haven't even started.

And, I still have additional education that I need to complete in tandem.

I've been nervous starting a new job before but this feels a bit different.

What are some good ways to deal.

First of all realize that these feelings are normal.  Feeling nervous is the #1 sign that you care about doing a good job.  At its highest form it's called imposter syndrome.

Every good nurse, doctor/surgeon you see around in the hospital, they *still* get nervous from time to time.  That doubt is what helps them to prepare to get things done. 

It's not unlike walking a dark alley at night in a weird neighborhood, you're nervous as hell because surroundings are really scary.  You make it through and walk through that alley a few more times, you gain more confidence.  This is no different.

I would say don't try or wish to lose that feeling.  Just use it to prepare, open 10-15 tabs on your browser about preparing for this job, soak up everything and naturally nerves will calm after a while.  Also realize that *they* don't expect you to be know everything when you start.

Edited by dramafreezone
  • Like 2
On 2/20/2022 at 10:37 PM, Alpaca said:

He was talking and walking so fast it was hard to keep up with him.

He probably had limited time. Hospitals are under pressure these days. Don’t sweat it. It will come with time and exposure. You’ll be fine. They gave the job to *you* for a reason. 

• Like 2
  • Author

Thank you all so much!

After reading some of these comments and de-stressing a little, I'm feeling better.

It's likely a diagram of all the different corridors would have been useful. During our initial meeting, I asked questions, but once I was in the lion's den, I was like, "oh no!"

If it's possible, I'll ask him to walk me through it again before I begin. 

You're the best, guys and gals! :bunny:

Edited by Alpaca
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2022 at 8:13 AM, Alpaca said:

Anywho, in the beginning I'll be shadowing a lot of the staff as part of training so I'm sure I'll get used to it. It's just a bit overwhelming it's a completely new field for me.

Pretty sure you'll do just fine Alpaca. I know, a new job can feel pretty overwhelmed and scary at first. Can totally relate to that. But they are not just going to throw you in a middle of their work environment with you having to fend for yourself. You are going to have plenty of people to help  you out. Don't be afraid to ask questions even if you think they are too silly to ask.

10 hours ago, Alpaca said:

If it's possible, I'll ask him to walk me through it again before I begin. 

Pretty sure he is super busy. Since you are going to be shadowing some staff members why not ask one of them to walk you though the floor instead?

• Thanks 1
  • Author
2 hours ago, Alvi said:

Pretty sure you'll do just fine Alpaca. I know, a new job can feel pretty overwhelmed and scary at first. Can totally relate to that. But they are not just going to throw you in a middle of their work environment with you having to fend for yourself. You are going to have plenty of people to help  you out. Don't be afraid to ask questions even if you think they are too silly to ask.

Pretty sure he is super busy. Since you are going to be shadowing some staff members why not ask one of them to walk you though the floor instead?

Thank you, Alvi!

Because he said not to hesitate contacting him with other questions, I considered asking him if he could meet with me again. However, I am aware of how busy he must be. I've always done pretty well in fast-paced work environments, but it's always been in office settings, whereas my heart is more invested in this because it involves people's health, so I'm a little nervous.

What if I position or scan incorrectly and something gets missed? Things like that. Though, I do not need to worry about that just yet... 

The family member I was going to ask works in medicine, but he is always on the move, so it is challenging to reach him, but maybe if I do, he can share his pearls of wisdom.

Yes, I plan to ask the staff members to walk me through the floors. Definitely agree with you there!I

I'm going to do a bit of research and prep a list ahead of time for my interactions during job shadowing so I can go in prepared.

Edited by Alpaca
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Author

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread.

The first few days of my new position were stressful, but I'm into my second week and things are going well.

Still getting used to all the different corridors, and the different rooms in the ER but one of the rad techs said it took him years to remember everything, so I don't feel so bad. 

Phew. 😮 💨

• Like 3