What to give up for Lent?

😁 I was thinking about this, there really isn't a whole lot I do since Covid that I could give up these days, it will just have to be a very symbolic gesture! 

• Author
10 minutes ago, glows said:

Something you like to eat? 

My diet is soooo controlled right now....I just dropped 10 lbs and plan to drop another 10 but very healthily as I'm really run down. 

It really is hard for me to think of one thing to give up! Maybe I should do a penance instead?!

Just now, SingFish said:

My diet is soooo controlled right now....I just dropped 10 lbs and plan to drop another 10 but very healthily as I'm really run down. 

It really is hard for me to think of one thing to give up! Maybe I should do a penance instead?!

10 Hail Marys for you 😉

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you come up with anything yet? :bunny:

I'm not going to be doing a few things...

One of them is socks.

Because my feet are always freezing.

But I'm going to wear socks under the covers because I usually don't like wearing socks when I'm sleeping.

• Like 1
  • Author

I think I am going to give up gratuitous spending! @Alpaca Eat the food I have in and not go to the store or pick up treats or go on Amazon at all. For 40 days!

💰

💸

• Like 1
22 hours ago, SingFish said:

I think I am going to give up gratuitous spending! @Alpaca Eat the food I have in and not go to the store or pick up treats or go on Amazon at all. For 40 days!

💰

💸

That sounds wonderful! Good for you!!  🐥

Edited by Alpaca
  • Thanks 1
  • Author

Lent begins tomorrow. I will not fast or mess with my good diet at all but I'll try to keep to the rest, will have to fetch in fresh veggies I guess. I've never done the whole 40 days before. 

Will miss hard candy. And Amazon!

Going to start gentle yoga stretches I've been meaning to do instead! Fill the gap!

🙏

• Like 1

The hunger pangs are setting in.

Who came up with the brilliant idea of putting St. Patrick's Day in the middle of Lent?

That just seems cruel.

• Like 1
On 2/16/2022 at 10:42 AM, SingFish said:

😁 I was thinking about this, there really isn't a whole lot I do since Covid that I could give up these days, it will just have to be a very symbolic gesture! 

Is there something psycho-spiritual, perhaps? Like -- just for example, not saying that this will or does apply to you -- giving up impatience or getting easily frustrated when your printer goes on the blink or the traffic lights are taking too long to turn green for you.  Also, it can also be where you more "give" something than "give up" something...so, like giving people more of your time that it takes to pay a compliment to a stranger, or help an old lady across the street, or whatever like that.  Maybe something like this might work?

• Like 1
princessaurora

I gave up FB. It is not easy to do, but I find it very therapeutic. It's like a spiritual cleanse. 😊

• Like 2
4 hours ago, princessaurora said:

I gave up FB. It is not easy to do, but I find it very therapeutic. It's like a spiritual cleanse. 😊

Did you mean a physical-earthly mental-emotional-psychological cleanse (or 'surrendering' or 'giving up' of a physical-earthly activity) for Lent, rather than a spiritual surrendering or cleanse? Or, because I do not get it, how are you relating Facebook to some spiritual activity or ritual? (Sorry...I'm trying to put it together, but not able to do so without your further insight.)

princessaurora
1 hour ago, Ronni_W said:

Did you mean a physical-earthly mental-emotional-psychological cleanse (or 'surrendering' or 'giving up' of a physical-earthly activity) for Lent, rather than a spiritual surrendering or cleanse? Or, because I do not get it, how are you relating Facebook to some spiritual activity or ritual? (Sorry...I'm trying to put it together, but not able to do so without your further insight.)

There are so many superficial and emotionally draining things about fb, though it's like a train wreck I can't just stop observing. So when I give it up for lent it gives me a sense of peace. That's what I mean by a spiritual cleanse. 

• Like 1

Ah! Yeah...I totally get it, about FB. Thanks for clarifying.    (For me, right now, it is the Russia-Ukraine war. I have 'promised myself' to only do maximum 10 minutes a day ...but...sometimes I find myself cheating a little bit...but...then I do stop watching the news/video of it...and then I have to also not go to just reading online articles about it!)

It ain't easy, is it? 🙂.

Edited by Ronni_W
  • Like 2
  • Author

Someone at church said to me it is about sacrifice, symbolically to give something up which is representative of Jesus' 40 days fasting in the wilderness. So only the person doing the self-denial knows what that is. 

6 hours ago, princessaurora said:

t's like a train wreck I can't just stop observing

So much of life feels this way to me these days. 

• Like 1

FB is a good one.

I rarely post or log on so that's an easy one for me.

I did recently win a free gift card to Target in one of my social groups but I gave it to someone else.

Though they didn't say thank you. 😕

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

That was a couple years ago, silly.

This year it's a time to put down the smartphone and encounter those in need face to face.

My aunt was just reading me some really nice scriptures from St. Matthew. She usually goes to church every Sunday but for lent she chose to go every day.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Alpaca said:

That was a couple years ago, silly.

Still seems like good advice. Most people would benefit from a break from social media.

• Author
10 hours ago, Alpaca said:

encounter those in need face to face.

My aunt was just reading me some really nice scriptures from St. Matthew.

Matthew 25. Lots of churches don't seem to acknowledge that! 

• Like 1
On 3/10/2022 at 3:49 AM, Wiseman2 said:

When is Easter? 🐰🐥🍫?

We're still trying to get through Lent.