Meal regimen for weight loss

Hey all, I am trying to lose 10 lbs. I weigh 205 now, but want to be 195. I have already lost some weight due to some changes, but I would like to lose more. I was thinking of creating a list of meals that would help me achieve this goal that I could follow. If I ate the below meals, do you think I could create enough of a calorie deficit to lose weight? I also exercise quite strenuously through CrossFit and running.

Breakfast:
- bowl of cereal with oat milk, or
- open face avocado toast sandwich with two eggs and turkey bacon, or
- bowl of oatmeal with light sprinkling of brown sugar

No snacks between breakfast and lunch

Lunch:
- yogurt, sliced apple with peanut butter
- crackers and salami or deli meat with cheese, apple
- peanut and butter jelly sandwich with apple

Perhaps some chocolate or peanuts for snack between Lunch and Dinner

Dinner:
- protein (fish, chicken, ribs) 1/4 plate, starch (mashed potatoes, rice, quinoa) 1/4 plate, and salad/vegetable 1/2 plate, or
- fajitas with protein
- spaghetti with sausage 1/2 plate, salad 1/2 plate
- Big salad with protein
- other dinners I haven't listed, to many

Small dessert, like a piece of chocolate

Alcohol:
No more than 1-2 Pints of Beer a week

Thanks all.

Edited by MarcoInaros

Make sure to check how much (complete) protein (especially to increase lean body mass if you work out) you need.

Watch the sodium, sugar and saturated fat intake. 

Just read labels and look stuff up. Think quality rather than calories.

My advice if you want a healthy no nonsense very fast way to lose?

Drink two meal/protein shakes (one for breakfast, one for lunch) and then a protein (chicken or fish), veggie and carb (slice of bread or a small potato no butter) for dinner. 

For the meal shakes, I really like the Slim Fast Chocolate (buy the powder not ready-made shakes it's cheaper).

I blend with vanilla almond milk (no dairy) and LOTS of ice.

They are loaded with vitamins and minerals.

In between meals, eat dried fruit and a few nuts.

Do this for two weeks and you will lose those ten pounds, guarantee!

It takes discipline but you WILL feel great, you can do it!

Edited by poppyfields
  • Like 3
  • Author
13 minutes ago, poppyfields said:

My advice if you want a healthy no nonsense very fast way to lose?

Drink two meal/protein shakes (one for breakfast, one for lunch) and then a protein (chicken or fish), veggie and carb (slice of bread or a small potato no butter) for dinner. 

For the meal shakes, I really like the Slim Fast Chocolate (buy the powder not ready-made shakes it's cheaper).

I blend with vanilla almond milk (no dairy) and LOTS of ice.

They are loaded with vitamins and minerals.

In between meals, eat dried fruit and a few nuts.

Do this for two weeks and you will lose those ten pounds, guarantee!

It takes discipline but you WILL feel great, you can do it!

Is this approach appropriate for me? I am only slightly overweight (according to BMI), and I just want to lose 10 lbs.

Increase lean proteins in some of your first two meals. Consider eggs for breakfast, for instance, especially boiled or poached. Proteins keep you feeling full longer. 

Deli meats are a lower source of protein than say, a chicken breast or tuna (Meal prep on weekends to make chicken sandwiches during the week). 

Your dinner ideas are great.  

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
27 minutes ago, MarcoInaros said:

Yes

There is a lot you can do with lentils.  They are high in protein, low in fat, and an all around healthy food. 

I find them filling.  I do add curry or chili powder to them as I cook them. I like spicy foods with a bit of kick, but that is personal preference.

Maybe check out a few recipes on-line and see if something strikes you as tasty. 

1 hour ago, MarcoInaros said:

Is this approach appropriate for me? I am only slightly overweight (according to BMI), and I just want to lose 10 lbs.

I am the same in fact some people think I am too thin.  But whenever I overdo it, like on a vacay or during the holidays and I gain a few, like maybe 5 or so, I do this diet and the weight drops off so fast, I lost 5 pounds in three days doing this diet and I felt great doing it. 😂

And it was not just water weight either, it was real weight and it never came back.

Good luck!

Edited by poppyfields
  • Like 1

Use a calculator online to find your TDEE.  Use an app like MyFitnessPal to track calories, aim for a 300-500 calorie daily deficit.  Do not add back calories for exercise, steps, fitbit, etc.  These are not accurate.  Start lifting weights a few times a week to build some muscle mass, which increases calorie burn.  Make sure to get plenty of protein (30% of cals from protein).  Use shakes and bars as needed.  Eat more fiber.  Be consistent.

Don't think of it as losing 10lbs and then you're done.  When you stop you'll just gain the weight back, maybe more.  Find a balance that is sustainable.

Onto the meal planning part, I prep my meals for the week.

Breakfast - Turkey sausage and egg scramble with some cheese.

Morning snack - Fiber bar and a banana

Lunch - 5-6oz lean protein with a veggie

Afternoon snack - Pure protein bar, or greek yogurt with granola, and/or apple

Dinner - 5-6oz lean protein with a veggie

Nighttime - Protein shake, another fiber bar, whatever else I need to hit my macro and calorie goals

Go to the gym!

Edited by PotatoHead
  • Like 2

I do 1,200 calories daily with a freebie here and there.

A protein bar for breakfast, protein shake for lunch (I have lots of good recipes) and a balanced dinner.

Avocado toast is delicious plus a really good power and source and super nutrient-dense. 

Just had my bloodwork and the doctor said it was better than his (and he's much younger haha).

It's hard to say if you're in enough of a calorie deficit based on what you listed.

Do you use any fitness apps? Myfitnesspal is good one. But after you've been doing it awhile you can pretty much count the calories in your head.

You need to find your TDEE and BMR to determine whether or not you're in a calorie deficit (if you really want to be specific).

Stick with dark chocolate at least 70% or higher. I'd also add in nuts.

Good luck and have fun!

• Like 1

My work is mentally taxing, not physical.  So when I'm doing meal replacement shakes (or mini meals like a boiled egg or string cheese and cherry tomatoes) I use them for breakfast and dinner, and eat a healthy meal for lunch.  I start my work day around 6am and  like to be done eating by 6pm at the latest, well before I go to bed early.  It works better for me to have something light instead of a full meal later in the day.  

• Like 1

Weight loss is all about calories in, calories out. Wear a fitness tracker during the day, use TDEE as a guideline and figure out how many calories you're taking in through food each day. Go for a modest deficit of about 300-500 cals like PotatoHead recommended. Make sure you're eating quality food (which it looks like you are by what you wrote in your original post) that's high in protein; high protein is key for losing as little muscle as possible during a cut. I'm not a fan of real replacement drinks as they are not very satiating compared to eating whole, micronutrient dense foods. Track your weight daily, taking a 7 day average each week since weight fluctuates from day to day. Aim for losing ~1 pound a week (might take a little bit of time to equalize to that). As you get a sense of general calories of food items and your bodies needs, you can stop counting calories and instead eat intuitively. You don't want to crash diet and end up gaining all of the weight back; the key is to do what works best for your lifestyle, and to do it gradually, so that it becomes more of a lifestyle instead of a diet.

Just curious, what do you estimate your body fat percentage is? BMI estimators do not take into account muscle mass vs. body fat; it could be that you have little body fat and a lot more muscle at your weight.

• Like 1

OP you're doing CrossFit and running so you need to be incorporating a lot of healthy carbs, fats and protein and good sources of micronutrients and antioxidants.

The key to HEALTHY, effective weight loss is to do it SLOWLY and consistently.

Otherwise you're just going to shed water weight and slow down your metabolism over the long haul.

Plus you want to avoid being too restrictive because, well, they're difficult to maintain for most people.

Maybe start with eliminating "bad" carbohydrates from your meals.

Stick with things like quinoa, sweet potatoes and wild rice instead.

Edited by Alpaca

You could try counting calories and doing slow weight loss via that method. Ask a doctor first. For example, you could eat 1700 or 1800 calories/day (as an adult male) and get at least 1/2 hour of reasonably intense exercise. For many adult males this will gradually reduce your weight. You do have to count EVERY calorie you eat conscientiously, as it is surprisingly easy to go past a limit. If you want to go hardcore, a lower, e.g. 1500 cal/day diet is also something some folks do, but again you'd want to ask a doctor first. I think the 1500/day is not sustainable for folks who don't have "iron willpower" and possibly unhealthy to continue past once you've hit a "goal weight".

Not everyone likes counting cals, and I respect that different things work for different people when it comes to weight loss. This has worked well for me in the past.

Edited by mark clemson

Your meal plan seems fairly healthy. However it's dangerously high in sodium. Why oat milk and sugary cereals?  

Cut out the empty calories.  If you got rid of the cake, beer, sweets and all the non-nutritious stuff, etc this small amount of weight would drop off naturally in no time.

Especially all simple carbohydrates and sugar. There's no need to count calories. The biggest mistake people make is lowering their overall metabolic rate with too much calorie deficit.

Only eat and drink what has nutrition value. Avoid all "diet" foods.

Especially avoid artificial sweeteners and especially those claiming to be natural such as stevia etc. They perpetuate your sweet tooth rather than retraining your palate to enjoy tastes other than sugar.

Eat real food, but good food. 10lb is nothing and it will stay off if you stay away from non-nutritious food and drinks.

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, MarcoInaros said:

You don’t need to drink powder drinks if you can just eat real protein. Powders aren’t natural and you don’t know what chemicals or toxins are in it. 

You want a sustainable eating plan, right? Not a crash diet with non-food. 

Your meal plan sounds good. I would eliminate chocolate if you can and snack twice a day. A handful of nuts keeps the hunger pangs away. 

For sugars, I’d say keep it to natural sugars like in fruit ( not juice), honey, maple syrup. 
I sweeten my oats with banana or maple syrup. 

when you reach your goal weight, you can slowly incorporate other foods again while you maintain. 

Try to use as little packaged foods as possible because they tend to have a lot of hidden sugars and sodium. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, jspice said:

You don’t need to drink powder drinks if you can just eat real protein. Powders aren’t natural and you don’t know what chemicals or toxins are in it. 

I’m also wondering why protein shakes are recommended. I mean, you hear that a lot! Not only in this thread, but everywhere.

And I’m no weight loss & nutrition expert, so I’m asking this out of genuine interest and curiosity. If you want to lose weight, wouldn’t those slim fast and similar products add unnecessary calories? Calories that you could “eat”, which would be more satisfying? It’s like making a bullet proof coffee in the morning (ok that’s with fat, not protein, but same concept), which some of the people I know (and who do keto) swear by, but I’m like “why add butter to your coffee?” ….. I don’t get it. Why add so many extra calories? I’d rather eat my calories. 

Or are the protein shakes recommended because it’s the fastest way to ingest a lot of protein, which helps lose weight? I want to understand this before I try it. 😌

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Pumpernickel said:

I’m also wondering why protein shakes are recommended. I mean, you hear that a lot! Not only in this thread, but everywhere.

And I’m no weight loss & nutrition expert, so I’m asking this out of genuine interest and curiosity. If you want to lose weight, wouldn’t those slim fast and similar products add unnecessary calories? Calories that you could “eat”, which would be more satisfying? It’s like making a bullet proof coffee in the morning (ok that’s with fat, not protein, but same concept), which some of the people I know (and who do keto) swear by, but I’m like “why add butter to your coffee?” ….. I don’t get it. Why add so many extra calories? I’d rather eat my calories. 

Or are the protein shakes recommended because it’s the fastest way to ingest a lot of protein, which helps lose weight? I want to understand this before I try it. 😌

Just speaking from my personal experience and reasoning.  I would not be able to consume the amount of protein I need (160-180g/daily) without the help of the shakes.  Usually I only have one a day to supplement, but because I lift a few times a week I want to make sure I hit that goal.  I simply do not have the appetite to consume that much protein in the form of meat or anything else, I already eat around 10-12oz of chicken, turkey, or fish a day.  I am full so why would I eat more.

I will add that not all protein powders are created equal.  I choose ones with almost no sugar, and BCAA's added for muscle recovery.

Getting enough protein is important whether building or cutting weight.  When in a deficit, you want to retain or build muscle while burning fat.  You need lots of protein to achieve that.

Edited by PotatoHead
  • Like 1

I know your question wasn't directed at me but I feel protein shakes are getting a bad rap.

Some are fine as long as they're made with healthy ingredients with minimal sugar and void of harmful additives.

I make mine with a quality protein powder (sourced from peas or hemp) and add in whole foods.

Been doing it for over three years and my bloodwork always comes back good.

Like with all foods, just have to do a bit of research and look at the ingredients.

It probably really boils down to a matter of preference.

You can have a homemade protein shake for 1-2 meals and balance that out with eating whole foods.

Or, just stick to eating whole foods completely.

OP meals seem fine except for a few things, but you mentioned that you wanted to do a calorie deficit, so we are just sharing what we've found that works for us and is preferable.

Edited by Alpaca
  • Like 1

as some have mentioned, if you're going to track calorie deficit, you likely need to write it down or use an app, and keep track of everything, and its best to overestimate if you can't tell exactly how many calories are in something.

i can guarantee that a deficit diet works, i lost 40 pounds doing it, i did not change any of the food i ate, just less of it and kept strict calorie counts (that includes alcohol and cake, pie, candy) and i literally did zero exercise and have a sedentary lifestyle.

a person could lose 2 pounds a week with a strict deficit diet if you have the willpower.

• Like 2

At 200lbs and highly active, you'll starve to death on the meal plan you've outlined there. I eat double that just to stay around 170.

Ten pounds is not a lot when it's 205 to 195. No need to overthink this. Eat a few hundred calories a day less than whatever you eat to sustain 205. Check your weight after 2 weeks, if it's gone down then continue, if not then reduce intake further.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
dramafreezone

Not too much to add to what's been advised but I would say snacks are not actually a bad thing.  Healthy snacks such as nuts or mixed fruit help to keep the edge off and you have have lighter meals. 

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is water intake.  Water intake is very important as your body holds on to water if you're not consuming enough, and this adds to weight.  Drink at least 100 ounces of water a day, and your body will begin to shed the water that it doesn't need because your intake is adequate.  Water intake also increases metabolism, so burns more calories.

Edited by dramafreezone
  • Like 1