I am wondering how others feel about the side emojis - thanks, shocked, confused, sad, mad, like. 

Other than thanks and like, I find they serve no real purpose and depending on the emoji, can even appear intimidating and abusive. 

I know the laughing emoji was taken away for this reason, and I would really like to see the others gone too, except for "like" and "thanks."  And possibly "confused" which I've used myself but going to stop using going forward.

Again, the others serve no real purpose imo and the "mad" emoji, I've seen and experienced posters using it to intimidate and well, simply to be mean and I find it disrespectful which from what I understand is against forum rules. 

It's often used to replace posting an acrimonious, disrespectful response which would most likely be deleted and the poster risking a ban or warning. 

So they use the mad emoji instead. 

I'd really like to see that one in particular removed.

Curious how others feel about it. 

Edited by poppyfields
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, poppyfields said:

I am wondering how others feel about the side emojis - thanks, shocked, confused, sad, mad, like. 

Other than thanks and like, I find they serve no real purpose and depending on the emoji, can even appear intimidating and abusive. 

I know the laughing emoji was taken away for this reason, and I would really like to see the others gone too, except for "like" and "thanks."  And possibly "confused" which I've used myself but going to stop using going forward.

Again, the others serve no real purpose imo and the "mad" emoji, I've seen and experienced posters using it to intimidate and well, simply to be mean and I find it disrespectful which from what I understand is against forum rules. 

It's often used to replace posting an acrimonious, disrespectful response which would most likely be deleted and the poster risking a ban or warning. 

I have no problem with those emojis.

If you have the option to kike a post, you should have also the choice to dislike it.

Other alternative is to restrict all interactions between posters otherwise than to agree or ignore.

A poor perspective.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Author
8 minutes ago, Uruktopi said:

If you have the option to like a post, you should have also the choice to dislike it.

I actually like that idea!  Have a "thanks," "like" and "dislike" emoji, that would be ideal. 

Your point is valid but as I said I have seen (specifically the mad emoji) used to intimidate and in place of posting an acrimonious disrespectful response, and in those cases, I think that is a misuse of the function. 

Same as the old laughing emoji was.

Appreciate your thoughts though.

Edited by poppyfields

It is rude and chronic use is an abuse of the terms on the site. Go to the home page, scroll down and look for the Contact Us link and report the thread to the moderators. They will take it from there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, poppyfields said:

I actually like that idea!  Have a "thanks," "like" and "dislike" emoji, that would be ideal. 

Those would be enough for me, provided the dislike one is also available.

That said, I have no personal problem with the actual ones though I imagine that others may have.

Perhaps it´s my only personal view about.

What I think is that I respect the right of every one to have their own opinions. 

But such right includes the freedom of the oposite (or other not compatible) one.

Being so, to dissagree with a certain idea shouldn´t be equated to disqualify the person.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Alpaca said:

....against forum rules, reporting it is probably best

Agree without reserves on reporting whatever colides with the forum rules.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, poppyfields said:

I believe I can speak for all moderators in saying that we agree. We have been banning members that abuse the negative emoticons and are actively trying to get them removed from the site. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Author
17 minutes ago, Uruktopi said:

What I think is that I respect the right of every one to have their own opinions. 

I do as well!  As long as those opinions are respectful.  I don't even mind blunt or even a bit harsh but rude and disrespectful is not appreciated. 

And from what I have seen and experienced, the "mad" emoji is used in place of posting an opinion.

If you dislike the post and have something to say, then say it!  Post the opinion. To give the poster a chance to respond. 

The "mad" emoji (in particular) is just passive/aggressive BS and not useful or helpful, imo.

Edited by poppyfields
  • Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, poppyfields said:

If you dislike the post and have something to say, then say it!  Post the opinion. To give the poster a chance to respond. 

Agree without reserves.

• Thanks 1

I agree on some points but I'm not sure I can get on board with whether or not someone opts or not opts to use a particular emoji or whether or not they want to state their opinion in place of an emoji.

Maybe for them, they feel the best interaction, is no interaction.

And, how is it different from when members post a response and the emojis they choose to use or not use along with their response?

1 hour ago, Alpaca said:

Maybe for them, they feel the best interaction, is no interaction

I read this as you suggesting that an emoji reaction is no interaction.  But I think it’s very much an interaction. And when it’s used by one poster to to express disdain or mockery towards another, it’s a very rude reaction. The angry, shocked and confused emojis get used like this and IMO it’s not acceptable 

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, poppyfields said:

Have a "thanks," "like" and "dislike" emoji, that would be ideal. 

A "dislike" emoji is completely unnessary. It's better to ignore posts that you don't like.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, basil67 said:

I read this as you suggesting that an emoji reaction is no interaction.  But I think it’s very much an interaction. And when it’s used by one poster to to express disdain or mockery towards another, it’s a very rude reaction. The angry, shocked and confused emojis get used like this and IMO it’s not acceptable 

I meant that the idea is that members might rather use an emoji to express their disagreement with a post or thread rather than interact by replying with a typed response. 

How about emojis that are also used in the discussion itself when there are written responses?

I don't know, I've used the "confused" emoji out of general confusion and I think I've used the "mad" emoji once or twice since I've been on this site and I've never had a member use excessive emojis with me so maybe I'm not looking at this objectively.

Edited by Alpaca
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, Alpaca said:

I meant that the idea is that members might rather use an emoji to express their disagreement with a post or thread rather than interact by replying with a typed response. 

How about emojis that are also used in the discussion itself when there are written responses?

I don't know, I've used the confused emoji out of general confusion and I think I've used the "mad" emoji once or twice since I've been on this site and I've never had a member use excessive emojis with me so maybe I'm not looking at this objectively.

When someone makes an angry emoji instead of a response I read that as them being incredibly passive aggressive.   And yes, I will stand guilty as charged for the handful of times I've done it. 

With regards to emojis within a typed response, it depends on the context.  I've seen (and reported) people who use a series of "laugh" emojis within text to mock another poster.  Completely unacceptable.  I've also seen kind or thoughtful emojis, and think this is fine.      

I've never had emojis used to troll me,  but I've seen them used here to bully and mock others more times than I care to remember.  

Edited by basil67
  • Like 3
13 minutes ago, basil67 said:

When someone makes an angry emoji instead of a response I read that as them being incredibly passive aggressive.   And yes, I will stand guilty as charged for the handful of times I've done it. 

With regards to emojis within a typed response, it depends on the context.  I've seen (and reported) people who use a series of "laugh" emojis within text to mock another poster.  Completely unacceptable.  I've also seen kind or thoughtful emojis, and think this is fine.      

I've never had emojis used to troll me,  but I've seen them used here to bully and mock others more times than I care to remember.  

There is a possibility of passive aggression.

For instance, the mad emoji in a post about animal abuse I chose as a response without intending to be passive aggressive.

But I too think I have also responded passive aggressively in other ways.

Moreover, I've seen certain replies that use the "laugh" emoji quite frequently in response to replies (more times than I'd like to recall as well) as it does appear mocking in nature.

Edited by Alpaca
1 hour ago, Wiseman2 said:

A "dislike" emoji is completely unnessary. It's better to ignore posts that you don't like.

Thank you so much for showing the core paradox.

As you don´t have an available dislike emoji, instead of ignoring the posts that would find it useful, you posted an answer... that may be taken as a dislike for them.

I was looking the "I´m ignoring your post" emoji but it' s neither there!

Edited by Uruktopi
  • Like 2

@Alpaca again, context is everything.   Yes, it's easy to interpret a mad emoji in a post about abuse as being sympathetic.   But I was thinking about when someone uses it to express anger or disdain at the thought or idea expressed by an author.  

Anyway, I won't go into discussing how written words are used because that's going off topic

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Uruktopi said:

I have no problem with those emojis.

If you have the option to like a post, you should have also the choice to dislike it

A dislike button would be great.  Or perhaps something more like Reddit where you can up- or down-vote a post.

I think it would be helpful to OPs, assuming they review responses to see which ones have the most (or least) consensus. 

I do not see the value in sanitizing all opinions.  I personally have never used the "mad" emoji but I can think of instances where it would be appropriate.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, introverted1 said:

A dislike button would be great.  Or perhaps something more like Reddit where you can up- or down-vote a post.

I think it would be helpful to OPs, assuming they review responses to see which ones have the most (or least) consensus. 

I do not see the value in sanitizing all opinions.  I personally have never used the "mad" emoji but I can think of instances where it would be appropriate.

I find that some emojis may sometimes be of ambiguous use and / or interpretation, if not followed by text.

As example.

Someone posts about a painful experience and my "sad" emoji is empathic with the pain rather than a critics of the post itself.

And sometimes I find "sad" some opinions that IMO are (let´s say) misogynistic, promote disdain for Science or can be harmful to others.

Almost the same happens with "confused", "shocked" and "mad". (SOME post if not the posters deserve them)

I do not answer most of posts for no special reason (even my own lazyness), so to ignore a particular one means near to nothing. 

And I don´t find that ignoring on purpose is such a significative attitude.

I neither share the philosophic view that asserts that indiference is the opposite of something better nor I find desirable to agree with such view.

So, and from now I´ll use the "like" and "thanks" ones when I agree and will use the "dislike" if it becomes availble.

Best wishes to you all.   

Edited by Uruktopi

Thank you for your feedback.  The topic is under discussion by moderators

Edited by Lisa