How would you take this?

genericwhitemale

I work in a school (not as a teacher, but still), and today I was helping some of the staff set up for Xmas activities. We were chatting as we did this and discussing some funny things we've seen over the course of our careers. 

I mentioned that when I started in this profession four years ago, I worked at a small private school, and my very first day on the job, one student asked me why God made me so ugly (it was an Orthodox Jewish school, so they were pretty deeply religious). This didn't phase me, in fact it made me laugh, because while I'll never be a male model, I am comfortable in my belief that I am far from ugly. 

When I told my co-worker this story, she chucked and said, 'Well obviously you must think that's not true...' 

Please note that I'm not vain in any way, or at least I certainly don't think so. While I'm not ugly, as cliche as it sounds, I do believe beauty is only skin deep. However, since I am also not great with women and such, I'm wondering of she was implying that I am, in fact, decent looking, or if I'm reading too much into it. 

What do you think? 

Happy Lemming

What a horrible thing for that student to say to you... I think your co-worker was trying to be kind.  She was probably caught off guard as I was when I read your opening thread.  I'm taken back as to how a child could say such a thing.  How old was the child/student??

I'd be stuck as to how to respond if someone had told me that story.  My first reaction is anger at the student and I would hope that you explained to the student that his comment isn't an appropriate thing to say/ask. 

• Like 1

I'm also curious in the answer to how old the student was.  From personal experience, I know that the honest thoughts of a 4-7yo student can be brutal.   

Honestly, I have no idea what your coworker was getting at in response, but I suspect it was in relation to you being able to have a laugh at the comment.

Edited by basil67
21 hours ago, genericwhitemale said:

When I told my co-worker this story, she chucked and said, 'Well obviously you must think that's not true...' 

Please note that I'm not vain in any way, or at least I certainly don't think so. While I'm not ugly, as cliche as it sounds, I do believe beauty is only skin deep. However, since I am also not great with women and such, I'm wondering of she was implying that I am, in fact, decent looking, or if I'm reading too much into it. 

What do you think? 

They sound more like words of support, not necessarily having anything to do with what she thinks about your looks. Did any other conversation follow?