My floss keeps breaking. Can anyone recommend where to get good floss?

Whenever I try to floss, the floss constantly breaks in between my teeth.  In the back teeth specifically.  I asked my dentist and he said that Gum is the best brand, but that one breaks a lot too.  Is there a stronger brand out there that is built not to break?  A kind that is better than the kinds like Gum, which you can get at Wal-mart for example?

I am willing to pay more for stronger floss from a better store, but does anyone know of any stronger brands that they recommend?

Are your teeth very close together?  I have a few that are and sometimes the floss will get stuck and then break when I try to get it out.  If that's the case, not a lot you can do about it other than using the waxed type to help it slide out.  

• Like 1
Happy Lemming

I use "Glide" by Oral-B.  This is (by far) my favorite dental floss.  It is a few bucks more, but (in my opinion) so worth it.

I've never had an issue with it breaking.

• Author

It only happens on 16 of my teeth mainly, the ones in the back, the bigger ones.  I was told it was because I never had my wisdom teeth out, so my teeth are tight together as a result.  I have used glide oral B before, and it worked much better.  But the dentist said that that's the worse floss out there, and not to use it, as it' in effective he says.  But at the same time, it's the only kind I used that wouldn't break near as much and could actually get in.  So what then?

Happy Lemming
43 minutes ago, ironpony said:

But the dentist said that that's the worse floss out there, and not to use it, as it' in effective he says. 

My dentist gives away small sample packs of Glide (with each cleaning).  She highly recommends it.

What about a water pick??  Have you done any research on those.  Do you think that might be a solution for your back teeth??

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, ironpony said:

the dentist said that that's the worse floss out there, and not to use it, as it' in effective he says. 

Some people only get dental hygiene cleaning 2x year. You can go every 3 mos. if you want. What about using an electric toothbrush in addition to flossing, dental hygiene visits, etc.?

After all it's not just floss that determines good oral hygiene. The hygienist can demonstrate and instruct you how to floss properly without difficulty. Have you watched videos on "how to floss"? Part of it is technique in addition to whatever brand.

Edited by Wiseman2
44 minutes ago, Happy Lemming said:

What about a water pick?? 

I love mine.  My hygienist tells me my "home care" appears to be excellent.  I don't  tell her my at least once a day Water Pik use is largely responsible, not my hit and miss flossing habit!

• Like 3
5 hours ago, ironpony said:

It only happens on 16 of my teeth mainly, the ones in the back, the bigger ones.  I was told it was because I never had my wisdom teeth out, so my teeth are tight together as a result.  I have used glide oral B before, and it worked much better.  But the dentist said that that's the worse floss out there, and not to use it, as it' in effective he says.  But at the same time, it's the only kind I used that wouldn't break near as much and could actually get in.  So what then?

Do that mean Oral B doesn't clean as good? :confused:

How about Gum Fine Floss.

ClearEyes-FullHeart

My favorite floss is Dr. Tung’s. Learned about it from a swag bag a few years back and never used anything since. I order it online. I have no idea if it would break for the OP so maybe use the waterpik idea or those dental stick things.

Girl Fade Away
On 11/11/2021 at 4:45 AM, Happy Lemming said:

I use "Glide" by Oral-B. 

Yes this!   Comes in a mint flavor too.  Never had it break, I have had other flosses break though.  The cheap kind.  Glide is definitely not cheap but worth it.

You can also try dental tape (eg Oral-B Satin Tape). It is wider, not as thin as actual floss, and therefore won’t rip in-between your teeth. 

• Author
On 11/12/2021 at 1:55 PM, Girl Fade Away said:

Yes this!   Comes in a mint flavor too.  Never had it break, I have had other flosses break though.  The cheap kind.  Glide is definitely not cheap but worth it.

I can try that.  Thanks!  But I already tried it and it worked before and I told my dentist it worked better.  But he said that oral B is not good, and doesn't do a good job, because it's too thin compared to other flosses.  But that's why I thought it was good for me.  But he said it was ineffective so I tried going back to other kinds but they all break in comparison when trying to get it through the teeth.

• Author
14 hours ago, Pumpernickel said:

You can also try dental tape (eg Oral-B Satin Tape). It is wider, not as thin as actual floss, and therefore won’t rip in-between your teeth. 

Okay thanks, I can look into it.

I use glide by oral B. The blue one.

How do you break them, maybe your contacts are too attached to each others.

Did your dentist show you the right way to do it, did he try to do the floss on you to see if it will break or it's just when you do it?

Maybe a hygienist will help you more.

Also if you have work done, or crowns, there is another method to clean using the floss, you enter floss, but then drag it outside instead of moving up.

But really flossing is extremely important, if you can't do it correctly, just get water pick to floss, it works just as well, not as great as a floss, but almost as good!

Please watch these videos

Edited by Noproblem
  • Author

Okay thanks.  I have tried those cheap types but they are all breaking for me so far, accept for oral B.  But if they are breaking that makes me think the cheap kinds are no good perhaps?

I also have a water pick but the dentist said that doesn't do near as good of a job, and flossing is more important, hence why I still seem to have cavities even after a water pick though?