How comfortable are you now that numbers are very low?

3 hours ago, QuietRiot said:

For whomever put quotes around "endemic" this is true, we're going from pandemic to endemic now.

I don’t disagree. We are however, still not at the point where case numbers can not rise precipitously during outbreaks such that it places social, economic, and health care systems at risk. Look at Russia and many European/Eastern European countries this week. 

If the US is in a position where infection numbers have declined it’s really only because the virus has burned through the population such that there are fewer people to infect. And sadly, there are fewer people to kill because hundreds of thousands of the most vulnerable people have already died. The loss of life has been catastrophic, and it’s sad because it was really unnecessary. In many ways, it was self inflicted. 

Edited by BaileyB
  • Like 2

I had someone telling me that if I trust the vaccine, I should act like it: ditch the mask and distancing, resume life as normal. Nope. I trust the doctors who are begging people to stop acting like everything is normal, who are talking about their hospitals being overwhelmed, their mental health, along with still burying co-workers who are on the front lines, got sick and died. 

If we hadn't had so many people opposed to contact tracing, because "freedom", I wonder how much better we would have done - if people could actually see how an infection travelled (potentially). I have a couple of friends in the Netherlands - one is okay, but the other I haven't heard from since September. I wonder how he's doing. He took a deep dive into conspiracy theories, and we haven't talked much since, because I was too upset with him. Another friend in Germany, has been attending things like a midnight ball, and she's a teacher, so she's in school as well. She's okay so far, but I wonder if she will scale back. She has been going out to eat. I've also read an article about the surge in both countries. 

• Like 1
  • Author
5 hours ago, BaileyB said:

I don’t disagree. We are however, still not at the point where case numbers can not rise precipitously during outbreaks such that it places social, economic, and health care systems at risk. Look at Russia and many European/Eastern European countries this week. 

If the US is in a position where infection numbers have declined it’s really only because the virus has burned through the population such that there are fewer people to infect. And sadly, there are fewer people to kill because hundreds of thousands of the most vulnerable people have already died. The loss of life has been catastrophic, and it’s sad because it was really unnecessary. In many ways, it was self inflicted. 

I'm not saying go all gangbusters and hit the large crowds and such, but you have to gauge for yourself the activities and events your attending. Like after being vaccinated, do you at least hang with a small group of vaccinated friends/buds? LIke do a game night with 5 or 6 people? (just an example). Go hiking in a hiking group...because it's outdoors.

Here's a gauge that'll be helpful...a metric regarding the CASES per 100K on a county by county basis.

5 or less cases per 100K, is the least risky and you can do indoor dining, the gym, etc. Probably even maskless it's low risk

Between 5 to 10 cases per 100K, medium risk (Florida overall is at a 7) some counties in Florida are at 2 or 3 cases per 100K

15 or higher per 100K cases is high risk.

You can see this on the Covid Act Now website

• Author
5 hours ago, BaileyB said:

The thing is, this is not a sterilizing vaccine, like that of small pox or polio. It's a vaccine that'll likely be administered, routinely, like that of the influenza virus. We'll probably be seeing that advertised on Walgreens/CVSs from now on. This COULD have been a sterilizing vaccine had we'd gotten a handle on the original Sars Cov-2.

Also, since the virus burnt through a lot of people, and they survived, but yet still refuses to vaccinated, well then...watch rinse repeat with the re-infections and spreading. 

The number of breakthrough cases is pretty amazing to me. And while it reduces the risk of serious illness and death, one can still get very ill if they are vaccinated and get covid. My understanding is that it is still possible to get long covid if one is vaccinated and gets covid. So, while the numbers are on the rise in my community, we are pulling in a little and taking fewer risks, even though we are vaccinated. When numbers were lower and during the summer when we could meet outside, we took a few more risks (gathering is small groups, going to a restaurant, etc…). Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I’m less inclined to trust the politicians than the doctors and epidemiologists.we are also taking a fairly common sense appropriate in our home - during the big waves, we don’t push it. I work in health care, I see the impact of covid on the health care system every day. I have little patience for people who ignore the warnings…

• Like 4
7 hours ago, BaileyB said:

The number of breakthrough cases is pretty amazing to me. And while it reduces the risk of serious illness and death, one can still get very ill if they are vaccinated and get covid. My understanding is that it is still possible to get long covid if one is vaccinated and gets covid. So, while the numbers are on the rise in my community, we are pulling in a little and taking fewer risks, even though we are vaccinated. When numbers were lower and during the summer when we could meet outside, we took a few more risks (gathering is small groups, going to a restaurant, etc…). Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I’m less inclined to trust the politicians than the doctors and epidemiologists.we are also taking a fairly common sense appropriate in our home - during the big waves, we don’t push it. I work in health care, I see the impact of covid on the health care system every day. I have little patience for people who ignore the warnings…

One of my best friends from school, posted that she has covid, the other day. Last week, she travelled to a concert in Scotland (she's in the London area). She has had mild symptoms so far, and lost her sense of smell today. I'm acquainted with someone else, who has been against restrictions and the vaccine, and she's had covid for a few weeks now. She admitted it hit her hard, but I don't think she's been hospitalized.

I went to the drive-in, a couple of months ago, and wish I'd gone more often this year. It was good to see a movie, and be in our van, outside, not stuck indoors with people. 

Last year, when this was all starting, a friend who works in the healthcare system in Wisconsin, was begging people to be careful. To go home. She saw the numbers almost every day, as soon as she started work, and the governor in her home state, wasn't doing anything to keep people safe. She was really upset. 

Edited by Angelle

I just got my booster, and I wear masks inside--have to in my city. 

I'm still cautious ... One of these days I'll loosen up ... right now, I wouldn't go to a play full of people sitting next to each other in a theater. I had two brothers die early, and I'm just paranoid maybe--so I'm cautious. But I do get out, and last year I lost my mind until I went on several vacations. 

It's funny: one of my paranoid friends is now more comfortable going places ... and I realized I used to be less paranoid than her, so she's a guide, and if she loosens up, I figure I'll loosen up and go out more. 

• Like 2
On 11/11/2021 at 7:10 AM, BaileyB said:

The number of breakthrough cases is pretty amazing to me. And while it reduces the risk of serious illness and death, one can still get very ill if they are vaccinated and get covid. 

Current statics are 98% of Americas dying of Covid are unvaccinated. Yes, it's still possible to get covid and die from it, but I'll take those odds any day, over not getting vaccinated. If it's proven that you need booster shots every year, i'll get those too. []

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Group berating
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, AngryGromit said:

Current statics are 98% of Americas dying of Covid are unvaccinated. Yes, it's still possible to get covid and die from it, but I'll take those odds any day, over not getting vaccinated. If it's proven that you need booster shots every year, i'll get those too. I might turn into a Zombie eventually, but I'll be alive long enough to get to turn into one, unlike the unvaccinated dying way before then. :)

I’ll take those odds too. 😁

• Author
On 11/4/2021 at 1:45 PM, Elswyth said:

Full vaccination puts the risk of dying from Covid in the same ballpark as the flu. So I'm mostly comfortable, myself. I'll be washing my hands and maintaining social distancing where I can, but I won't be altering my daily routine much either. Basically, I'd take the same precautions as I typically did pre-Covid.

Unfortunately people who can't get vaccinated or who are immunocompromised or very old are at higher risk - but these population groups have always been at higher risk to begin with, even with the flu.

Yeah, now that some people that believe in vaccinations and are fully vaxxed,  are okay with loosening restrictions.  I have a friend that's still kind of on the glass half empty side of this, criticizing the festivals (all outdoors) and biker events happening in the area. Now that governments in the states are loosening restrictions all over, the vaccine being in existence (and plenty of it) is enough to loosen restrictions, and the onus is on the citizens is to protect themselves. If they want to.

Anyways, going back to my friend, he keeps throwing up these anecdotal "I know this guy or this friend that got Covid, and they were fully vaccinated and BOOSTED!" and I'm like "Are they doing okay?" and he goes "Thankfully yes!" and I'm like "So what's the big deal then?"

The only thing, she's just missing work *shrug* . 

5 hours ago, QuietRiot said:

Yeah, now that some people that believe in vaccinations and are fully vaxxed,  are okay with loosening restrictions.  I have a friend that's still kind of on the glass half empty side of this, criticizing the festivals (all outdoors) and biker events happening in the area. Now that governments in the states are loosening restrictions all over, the vaccine being in existence (and plenty of it) is enough to loosen restrictions, and the onus is on the citizens is to protect themselves. If they want to.

Anyways, going back to my friend, he keeps throwing up these anecdotal "I know this guy or this friend that got Covid, and they were fully vaccinated and BOOSTED!" and I'm like "Are they doing okay?" and he goes "Thankfully yes!" and I'm like "So what's the big deal then?"

Yeah, I definitely think it should be "allowed", possibly with a few small restrictions (e.g. a mask mandate for very crowded festivals). I personally wouldn't go to a crowded festival myself at this stage, but it's a personal decision and I was never much of a festival-goer anyway. :)

The interesting thing is that back in the pre-Covid era where flu jabs existed, many people wouldn't get them, even though they'd reduce mortality from the flu. So, they wouldn't take that extra step to reduce the risk for themselves and others, but currently the fully-vaccinated Covid mortality is similar to the unvaccinated flu mortality, and that's apparently too high?

5 hours ago, Elswyth said:

Yeah, I definitely think it should be "allowed", possibly with a few small restrictions (e.g. a mask mandate for very crowded festivals). I personally wouldn't go to a crowded festival myself at this stage, but it's a personal decision and I was never much of a festival-goer anyway. :)

The interesting thing is that back in the pre-Covid era where flu jabs existed, many people wouldn't get them, even though they'd reduce mortality from the flu. So, they wouldn't take that extra step to reduce the risk for themselves and others, but currently the fully-vaccinated Covid mortality is similar to the unvaccinated flu mortality, and that's apparently too high?

But it isn't the same. Not here. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, QuietRiot said:

In the Netherlands, they're thinking about having another lockdown. We should be thinking about the same here, but it won't happen.

Colorado’s COVID hospitalizations jump again, on track to exceed 2020 peak

Weekend drop in number of people hospitalized with the virus turned out to be a blip

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/11/17/colorado-covid-hospitalizations-cases-outbreaks/

And this is my State:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/local/ohio-records-more-than-6000-daily-covid-cases-for-first-time-in-a-month/HXWWRC6SKNBOBBWSC22QNOBI3A/

Ohio records more than 6,000 daily COVID cases for first time in a month

This article was posted an hour ago. ^^

https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/2021/11/16/covid-19-rises-again-in-an-undervaccinated-ohio/

COVID-19 rises again in an undervaccinated Ohio

Edited by Angelle
11 hours ago, QuietRiot said:

I missed the time to edit my post, so I'm adding:

So what's the big deal? A lot of people don't get sick pay. My dad has no paid leave from his job - if he can't work, he doesn't get paid. He doesn't get holiday pay, sick pay, nothing. They haven't even increased the money that they would give him, to cover some of his gas. He's paying something like $200 more a week, on the gas, but he hasn't received anything to cover it, so money is even tighter here. 

He gets healthcare through the VA. I don't have anything to help me, if I get sick. 

• Author
12 hours ago, Angelle said:

I missed the time to edit my post, so I'm adding:

So what's the big deal? A lot of people don't get sick pay. My dad has no paid leave from his job - if he can't work, he doesn't get paid. He doesn't get holiday pay, sick pay, nothing. They haven't even increased the money that they would give him, to cover some of his gas. He's paying something like $200 more a week, on the gas, but he hasn't received anything to cover it, so money is even tighter here. 

He gets healthcare through the VA. I don't have anything to help me, if I get sick. 

Gotcha,

So you're saying people who have full time jobs, with benefits, can kind of loosen up a bit?

19 hours ago, Angelle said:

But it isn't the same. Not here. 

Yeah, it depends on the vaccination % of the location for sure. So in the US apparently only 71% of eligible population (18+) are fully vaccinated?!?! That's... really low. 😕

Edited by Elswyth