Should I buy her a birthday gift?

My wife's birthday is in a week. I feel like we're on the verge of separating.

We're married (5 years with a 4 yr old) but having problems. She's very upset with me, holding a grudge and I've been sleeping

on the couch for a week. She had been nitpicking on me over the fact that I didn't get a promotion this year at work, so we're not

go

Edited by jamesneptune

Sorry to hear you’re having problems.

so your wife expected you to get a promotion. Does she work and contribute to the expenses?

was that the only thing she’s holding a grudge for?

Edited by S2B
11 hours ago, jamesneptune said:

We're married (5 years with a 4 yr old) but having problems. She's very upset with me, holding a grudge and I've been sleeping on the couch for a week. 

Go to marriage therapy and consult an attorney for your options in the event of divorce.

Getty petty about gifts won't help your situation. Even if you divorce she'll be your child's mother.

Did you want to get married? Or was it arranged or because of the pregnancy?

There's a lot of hate for just 5 years together, no?

When did the marital problems begin?

Do you both work? Are there money problems? Where is all this resentment coming from?

Birthday gifts are not ransom for sex. So that stunt wouldn't help you. It's just passive aggressive fuel on the fire.

SOrry you are here... but if she is mad, and kicked you out of the bedroom because something happened that you have no control over... then I would say to start the divorce.

But regardless of that.. since you are still married, I would get her a token gift, just to acknowledge her Bday. 

• Like 1

There is little information about how serious the situation is. If she is just upset and otherwise you are good together, then a gift would be helpful. If things are terrible and she is after the money, then it is pointless to get her a gift. Surely you have a sense of what is going on.

Edited by emprosnet7
  • Like 1
On 10/11/2021 at 4:41 PM, jamesneptune said:

My wife's birthday is in a week. I feel like we're on the verge of separating.

We're married (5 years with a 4 yr old) but having problems. She's very upset with me, holding a grudge and I've been sleeping

on the couch for a week. She had been nitpicking on me over the fact that I didn't get a promotion this year at work, so we're not

go

Why do you feel you're on the verge of separating? Has that come up in prior conversation? Did the promotion mean something significant to your living situation? Would it have meant you were more flexible with your schedule or could spend more time at home? 

I would still give a gift and put some thought into it. One day you'll look back at your former self and want to know that you did everything you could as a husband and father, regardless of what happens next. Don't live with any regrets especially about things like this.