Getting 6 pack abs, can it be done?

mortensorchid

I started my diet about a year and a half ago and have successfully dropped 30 lbs.  Is it possible to get 6 pack abs?  As in trying to get your abs to show like models and movie stars can and do?  You have to have extremely low body fat for one (which can be done), the other factor is that there are 3 layers to your abs - the one that you are seeing on models that are visible is the superficial layer.  There also might be some other factors that come into play (lighting, Photoshop, make up, filters, etc.) for the final presentation.  Maybe even plastic surgery for some people.

Is it possible to achieve 6 pack abs without plastic surgery?  I have gotten myself down to the high end of my high school weight (140lbs at 5'10") and I can see a bit of it here and there.  But is it possible to get that 6 pack visible? 

Dieting is fine, but you'll have to build up muscle through core exercises and generalized strength training to have a good weight but more musculature.

A female friend of mine was a P/T and bodybuilder. (not crazy muscled, but certainly visible)  He female clients would say "I just want tone, not visible muscles" and she reassured them that visible muscle is very hard to build and she has to do incredible amounts of exercise and special diets to support it.    

On a more general level, some people muscle more easier than others.  If you're the kind who bulks up a bit when you've been digging a trench, then you will have an easier time of it.

I asked a friend a similar question (not about 6 pack abs specifically) and he said that showing muscle tone all depends on your body type and composition that cause fat to be distributed differently in different areas.

So, while you can work your core repeatedly, if there's still a little fat around your tum tum you won't see the definition of "6 packs" given the increased concentration of fat cells, which don't respond as well to the fat-breakdown process (lipolysis).

Losing 30 pounds is incredible.

I'm sure with the right approach, hard work, and discipline, you can do it!

• Like 1

It's very hard.

Whilst everyone will tell you abs are made in the kitchen, you DO still need to do a significant amount of core work to build up the muscles there too. After that, you just need to lose weight. Some people will have different muscle insertions and will have a 4 or 8 pack rather than 6, some will have them visible at 15% bodyfat (for a man) and some will need to go to 10%. Add about 5% to each figure for women. If you're more predisposed to carry weight on your belly, it'll be harder than if you're prone to carrying it on your legs for example. 

From when I first started exercising seriously at 17, it took me 2 years to get a 6 pack. It doesn't get any easier as you get older.

Edited by Andy_K
  • Like 1
endlesspossiblities
On 10/12/2021 at 11:24 AM, Andy_K said:

It's very hard.

Whilst everyone will tell you abs are made in the kitchen, you DO still need to do a significant amount of core work to build up the muscles there too. After that, you just need to lose weight. Some people will have different muscle insertions and will have a 4 or 8 pack rather than 6, some will have them visible at 15% bodyfat (for a man) and some will need to go to 10%. Add about 5% to each figure for women. If you're more predisposed to carry weight on your belly, it'll be harder than if you're prone to carrying it on your legs for example. 

From when I first started exercising seriously at 17, it took me 2 years to get a 6 pack. It doesn't get any easier as you get older.

I agree with parts of your post Andy but not all.  For some, it is NOT hard but it has to do with genes which is a whole different discussion.  Specific exercises that target the core (a regimented routine), a exceptional diet, and you have a good chance.  I have always VALUED my core which was important in my world so it never seemed like work plus the gene pool helped me.  OP, I would be more concerned about being genuinely FIT throughout your body and then I think you will see the other parts fall in line where you desire them to be

On 10/12/2021 at 10:24 AM, Andy_K said:

Whilst everyone will tell you abs are made in the kitchen

I hate that saying. Abs are made in the gym. They're hidden in the kitchen.

What other posters said - absolutely. But it takes dedication to working out your core and eating cleanly. Genetics help a lot too. 

I have a travel workout I do all the timeif I can't get to the gym. I bang it out in 15-20 mins. You can adjust the exercise mixture but it goes a little something like this.

Take a stack of coins - I typically suggest starting out with 4-5. Put them on a table and then for each coin:

1) 10 pushups

2) 10 sit-ups

3) 20 air squats

Each time you complete a set, move one coin off the stack. Complete until you finish the entire stack. Don't ask me why it's so important to use coins but it helps mentally.

You should be able to bust through that 15 to 20 minutes. If you find yourself finishing early add another coin to the starting stack next time. 

Like I said, you can swap out exercises but try to limit it to three. 

Here's the way I see it - if you can't find 15 to 20 minutes in your day to do something, you're out of integrity with time itself. Keep at it and do it 5 days a week (rest days are important) and you will start to notice changes pretty soon. Core strength is incredibly important. 

• Like 1
endlesspossiblities

Having a consistent routine will definitely help as well as a sensible diet (as in what you eat as an everyday meal).  Processed sugar is a no go in my opinion

• Like 1
2 hours ago, endlesspossiblities said:

Processed sugar is a no go in my opinion

Absolutely.

It appears that they put sugar in everything! What's the deal with that?

OP I've also heard that having a healthy gut flora, or gut microbiota, is important since it affects how we store fat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
endlesspossiblities
8 minutes ago, Alpaca said:

Absolutely.

It appears that they put sugar in everything! What's the deal with that?

OP I've also heard that having a healthy gut flora, or gut microbiota, is important since it affects how we store fat.

Well said Alpaca 

• Thanks 1

Yes, it can. I have recently down sized from being 210 at just under 6ft to 188. I did this though intermittent fasting and very low carb or sugar intake. I just added two core exercises and after 60 days I can see my six pack. So for me its 90% about diet. My GF has been doing triple the core workouts but not reduce her carbs or done much intermittent fasting. She has loss mid fat but not to the same level. She has been concentrating on getting strong. She has succeeded in that. Just the other day she doing 16 sets on the leg press non stop from 450 pounds down to 180 up to 20 reps a set. Curling twice what she did last year too.

Dane

Edited by CarmenDane