Has anyone ever used Facebook as a dating site?

Ok this is probably the  wrong place for this but has anyone ever used Facebook as a dating site? And if so how did you do it with out it coming across as creepy? 

Thanks

8 minutes ago, jack019944 said:

Ok this is probably the  wrong place for this but has anyone ever used Facebook as a dating site?

Are you looking to cheat? On FB? Or do you suspect you are being cheated on and noticing unusual FB activity?

• Author

No. this is purely about using FB for dating. I'm not currently in a relationship. Sorry if I'm in the wrong thread.

21 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Are you looking to cheat? On FB? Or do you suspect you are being cheated on and noticing unusual FB activity?

16 hours ago, jack019944 said:

Ok this is probably the  wrong place for this but has anyone ever used Facebook as a dating site? And if so how did you do it with out it coming across as creepy? 

Thanks

I have various acquaintances who have tried it and it's awful and full of the same creeps that are on all the others.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, jack019944 said:

No. this is purely about using FB for dating. I'm not currently in a relationship. Sorry if I'm in the wrong thread.

Why not set up a good profile and pics on quality dating apps and start talking to and meeting women?

• Like 2
  • Author
6 hours ago, NYAG said:

I have various acquaintances who have tried it and it's awful and full of the same creeps that are on all the others.

So are you saying don't bother about using FB for dating at all? Or do but stick to only proper dating groups and don't just DM people?

• Author
5 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Why not set up a good profile and pics on quality dating apps and start talking to and meeting women?

I already do this. What would you class as a "quality dating app"? At the moment the main ones i use are hinge, eHarmony and tinder. 

Edited by jack019944

How good looking are you? 

Online dating sites, especially sites like Tinder and Bumble, are 95% based on your physical appearance and the quality of your photos. You get 3-5 photos plus a short bio to convince a woman swipe yes on you, of course it's mostly about your appearance. PLUS the demographics of Tinder are 75-80% men.

So for this reason, Tinder and other similar sites work best for men who are an 8/10, where they can use their looks as a leverage.  If you're a 7 and MAYBE a 6, you can still be successful, albeit with amazing photos and a great bio, and a bit of luck. 

However, if you're a solid 5 or below, don't bother signing up. You simply won't get enough matches to the point where you'll be lucky to even get a date, let alone a relationship or hookup.  If this applies to you, then work on your physical appearance as much as possible to the point where you can pass for at least a 6.  If you find this to be impossible, then you have no choice but to accept your lot in life. 

Edited by GuitarGuy7
  • Author
5 minutes ago, GuitarGuy7 said:

How good looking are you? 

Online dating sites, especially sites like Tinder and Bumble, are 95% based on your physical appearance and the quality of your photos. You get 3-5 photos plus a short bio to convince a woman swipe yes on you, of course it's mostly about your appearance. PLUS the demographics of Tinder are 75-80% men.

So for this reason, Tinder and other similar sites work best for men who are an 8/10, where they can use their looks as a leverage.  If you're a 7 and MAYBE a 6, you can still be successful, albeit with amazing photos and a great bio, and a bit of luck. 

However, if you're a solid 5 or below, don't bother signing up. You simply won't get enough matches to the point where you'll be lucky to even get a date, let alone a relationship or hookup. If you decide to sign up anyways, expect to swipe on at least 5k girls before getting anywhere. 

Couple of things. To be I don't really know how good looking I am I've never really rated my photos. Any where I can do it? I hate using bumble now I never get any matches on there. Tinder isn't to bad I am at least getting matches on there but could be better.    

1 minute ago, jack019944 said:

Couple of things. To be I don't really know how good looking I am I've never really rated my photos. Any where I can do it? I hate using bumble now I never get any matches on there. Tinder isn't to bad I am at least getting matches on there but could be better.    

Do you have reddit?  You can go to the r/rateme  subreddit and post a picture of yourself and people will be honest with you. 

The advantage of having strangers rate you is 1. they don't know you so they're not going to try and sugarcoat the truth like your friends would   and 2. because they don't know you, they're basing it off of first impression where's sometimes when you know someone for a long time, their attraction can potentially grow. 

Just understand that you will get honest answers so if you can't handle the truth, then don't post a picture of yourself.  But if you truly want to know where you stand and think you can handle it, then go ahead and post a picture of yourself.  You may get 5+ responses, you may get 20+ responses. 

• Author
10 minutes ago, GuitarGuy7 said:

Do you have reddit?  You can go to the r/rateme  subreddit and post a picture of yourself and people will be honest with you. 

Is this a rating on my appearance only? Or a rating on my appearance + how good the photo is?   

I met my husband through a local singles group on Facebook. We happened to hit it off after commenting on some posts together. Most people didn’t use that group to seek dating prospects. It was more of a place to rant about the dating world with others or make friends with other single parents. They sometimes did get “meet and greets” but I never attended any. Our meeting really was more of a random encounter. We just got lucky because we’re such a perfect match. Doesn’t hurt to try and see what’s out there. You never know what may happen.

• Like 1
mark clemson
1 hour ago, GuitarGuy7 said:

This isn't a bad suggestion IF you're really interested in this, but the quality of the pic will have a lot of bearing (and pic quality can be impacted a LOT by fairly subtle things like lighting and the precise camera angle, etc that non-photographers don't know that much about). Also there will be SOME trolls as there are most places on the web, so don't take everything to heart.

In line with this, consider getting pro-shots done for your dating site profiles (just don't ONLY show the pro-shots, make it one or two of a few). Also, try to expand your RL options/potential meeting venues (as safely as possible).

Edited by mark clemson
2 hours ago, jack019944 said:

Is this a rating on my appearance only? Or a rating on my appearance + how good the photo is?   

Don't bother with this. Why have a bunch of random trolls on that site rate you?

Just get on quality dating apps with a good profile and pics and start talking to and meeting women for a low key coffee.

Once you meet in person, all that matters is mutual interest in seeing each other again. 

2 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Just get on quality dating apps with a good profile and pics and start talking to and meeting women for a low key coffee.

Once you meet in person, all that matters is mutual interest in seeing each other again. 

You still need a baseline level of attractiveness because if you don't look good enough, you won't even get the opportunity to go on a date with a girl. 

• Author
5 hours ago, GuitarGuy7 said:

You still need a baseline level of attractiveness because if you don't look good enough, you won't even get the opportunity to go on a date with a girl. 

Just on this. I get how getting a base line would be an advantage, but dating sites these days have filters and algorithms that can basically do this job for you.   

• Like 1
17 hours ago, jack019944 said:

So are you saying don't bother about using FB for dating at all? Or do but stick to only proper dating groups and don't just DM people?

FB is just another dating app. If you like the way sites like Tinder and Hinge work then go for it. I think dating apps are a falsehood. None of them really work.

17 hours ago, jack019944 said:

I already do this. What would you class as a "quality dating app"? At the moment the main ones i use are hinge, eHarmony and tinder. 

Dating apps are only as good as the people using them. Most people can't take a decent photo or write a good profile so that answers that one.

6 hours ago, jack019944 said:

dating sites these days have filters and algorithms that can basically do this job for you.   

Agree. Just get a good profile and pics on quality dating apps.

Never buy into the incels mentality of "you have to be a rich movie star to get a date". It's self-defeating nonsense.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 8:54 AM, NYAG said:

Yep, the same people turn up on every dating site.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/3/2021 at 11:41 AM, jack019944 said:

Thanks

Sometimes I see a lady pop up in the suggested list or "people you may know" list, usually this is due in part from sharing mutual friends with others, but I find either way you get ignore or likely find it rather off putting some man they don't know tries to DM them, regardless of the mutual friendships you share with her. 

I would sometimes get added back, one recent was an attractive former high school student that graduated the same class I did, but she just unresponsive to DMs. So I have a few "female friends" added on my list, but have ignored my DMs.

• 3 months later...
  • Author

Ok, so I still cant get my head around whether FB dating groups are a good thing or not. I do know that some are really well run but I just cant get my head around the whole concept. To add to the I know that a lot of FB dating groups have very strict messaging rules these days.

Buy anyway. Some one convince me that these are good!

Thanks.     

• Author

Ok, so I still cant get my head around whether FB dating groups are a good thing or not. I do know that some are really well run but I just cant get my head around the whole concept. To add to the I know that a lot of FB dating groups have very strict messaging rules these days.

Buy anyway. Some one convince me that these are good!

Thanks.     

Edited by jack019944
wrong title