Possibly a dumb question, but can exercise cause insomnia in a way?

Ok so I’m 23 years old old, male, 215 Ib. Skinny with a decent belly. 6’4 ft tall. I want to get in shape by lifting weights.

for the past 2-3 years I’ve been off and on with the gym, school would always get in the way of being consistent with it. Most of my life I’ve been a couch potato glued to the GameCube, then the Xbox 360, then the Xbox One, now PS5 or whatever. Haha. I graduated in December, college. And I got so relieved of not having to do any more school work that I ended up enjoying me a couch potato even more. Like I just wanted to enjoy the availability of being lazy after work again. But it’s gone too far.

Here’s the issue, I started lifting 2 mondays ago. First thing I did chest and triceps, went well. Now keep in mind I average 7 hours of sleep, 12:00 to 7:00 or 7:30. That night I slept until 6:30. Tuesday I do bicep and back, and only sleep until 5:00. I couldn’t go the gym the next day, nor the next, nor the next, cause my body kept waking up at 5:00 and couldn’t fall back asleep. After not going for 5 days in a row my body went back to normal and I started sleeping normal again. This happened to me last summer when I went to the gym a week or two. I haven’t gone to the gym since those two days and I really don’t want to cause I value sleep so much I love sleeping. For a long time I used to have an issue where I would fall asleep at 12:00, wake up at 4, couldn’t fall back asleep until 7, and wake up 9 feeling like s***, and I’d get late to work. I haven’t had that issue in two years. Sleep is a valuable cherished thing to me now. I don’t want to go back to that and exercising is causing this. 

what can be the cause of issue here? What do I do?

Johnjohnson2017

what time are you exercising? Are you exercising closer to bedtime? 

I would recommend working out in the morning. Working out closer to bedtime will make it more difficult to fall asleep.

Maybe you are experiencing this issue because you made a change in your routine. With time, your sleeping pattern will get back to normal I would guess.