Horrible New Neighbors

I live in a little rented cottage in the woods and it's the perfect  place for me. The town itself is lovely and my property is gorgeous, quiet and rural. I rent this little house and it sits next to a larger rental house. There is quite a bit of distance between the two houses. The yard is shared. 

New neighbors moved in in July. They have three pitbulls. When they first moved in and I saw them in the yard I waved and, yelled "Hi and welcome!" The husband seemed really nice and so did the older kids but the wife? Welp, you know when you meet someone new and right off the bat you can tell they're going to be an issue? Yeah, she's one of those. 

So I noticed they were letting their pitbulls out into the yard without leashes and being attacked by a dog in the past, I was very uncomfortable with that but I decided not to make a stink about it. Then one day I was walking my cat (yes she has a leash and harness lol) and I saw the 3 pitties book it down my neighbors stairs into the yard so I scooped by cat up and ran into the garage. I thought it was then that I needed to politely say something. So I peeked out from the garage and told them I had my cat and I needed to get back upstairs. They brought the dogs inside and after I got my cat upstairs I asked them to please leash their dogs for obvious reason. I was really nice about it but you could tell the wife had an issue with it. 

A few moments later I hear a knock on my door and the wife, husband and kids were on my porch very distraught looking. I smiled and said, what's up? Trying to be friendly. Well they basically said in a nice way that they didn't want to leash their dogs and I didn't want to cause an issue so even though I was uncomfortable with it, I agreed I would text them if I wanted to use the yard. They were of course very happy with that and there was no further issue. 

But after some time had passed I realized there might be an issue with that, what if I go out to take out the trash, or go out to my garage? Do I need to text for that too? So I texted my landlady and told her the agreement we came to isn't working for me and she agreed they needed to leash their dogs. So today, the adult son was out in the yard and I let him know I wouldn't be texting anymore if I was going outside and that I haven't enjoyed my yard because I'm so scared of the dogs so just making everyone aware so they can keep an eye on the dogs. I was nice about it, yet again. 

THEN, I hear a pounding at my door, the wife and husband are at my door yet again and the wife immediately starts being rude to me. I told her to adjust her tone if she'd like to speak to me as she's on my porch. But she didn't, kept going at me. Then told me she was recording me after we has talked for awhile! I was shocked because I've been nothing but nice to these people when they've done nothing but be inconsiderate of me. So I told her okay, I'll record to. So I get my phone. I come out and she's telling me I was wrong to talk to her son and when I did I was nice and didn't even think twice about it but I told her I understood. She told me I didn't have the right to contact the landlady about it and I also don't have a right to ask her to leash her dogs. It was unbelievable. She was like a Nazi. Her husband just stood quietly behind her and you could tell he felt bad about the way she was behaving because he was pretty nice. So the whole convo was basically her barking at me and me trying to subdue the situation. I found it funny she wanted to record me when she looked crazy and is basically breaking the law yet telling me I can't do anything about it. We have a leash law in my state but I'm not sure how it works with a specific situation like this. 

So the convo wasn't going anywhere and it was clear she was just looking to argue so I walked back in my house and called my landlady. She basically didn't want anything to do with it. 

So tomorrow I'm going to the police to have documentation of what happened. I don't feel physically threatened by her but I do feel she was threatening in other ways with the other recording the convo and saying she's putting cameras on her house when I've done nothing to her or her family. 

Any [] general advice? Thanks! 

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Requesting legal advice
  • Sad 1

She hates you as you are a "hot" young single woman who will likely steal her man away...
She is being territorial.
 Would it be possible to split the yard with some fencing? otherwise, I think you need to start looking for a new place where you and your cat can be safe.
Your landlady is not supportive and without her back up, you are in a weak position. She would rather lose your rent than theirs.
Your neighbours have found a great place in the woods where they can safely let their dogs go off leash, it is not their fault you are scared of dogs and have a cat.
As they are not willing to leash their dogs all the time when they have a great yard, and relations are strained, then you probably  need to find another place, sorry to say.

Edited by elaine567
  • Like 3

The police can let you know what they are able to do about it when you make your report.  Talk to animal control or to an attorney in your area, familiar with the local regulations, and see what options you have.

You can then make an educated decision on how you're going to proceed.  No use fighting battles you might not have the power to win.

Neighbors can sometimes make life unpleasant unfortunately.

• Like 3
  • Author

I can actually live with the dog issue because this place is perfect otherwise. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. 

It's her harassing me on my porch that I won't tolerate and there has to be some repercussions for that

She's trying to be a bully and she's a coward because every time she comes to knock on my door she has her whole posy with her...I don't have a posy and I do just fine 

Edited by Dis
  • Author
13 minutes ago, FMW said:

Neighbors can sometimes make life unpleasant unfortunately.

They really can and I honestly have bad luck with neighbors

The good thing about this situation is at least I'm not sharing a building with them because when you share walls with people you don't get along with...that's when it gets bad. I know from experience. 

Our houses are set apart quite a bit and I don't really care if we're on bad terms because I have a feeling that woman is on bad terms with just about everyone....what I care about is peace and quiet and I have that

I would no longer attempt to communicate with any of them.  You now know how she will react in response.

Unless she initiates contact with you there's probably not much police can do about what she's done to this point.  They would likely say she was just responding to you , however unpleasant or bullying her demeanor.

But that's me, I generally choose to avoid "poking the bear".  I know how annoying and frustrating that can be at times.  But if it's peace you're seeking, don't engage.

• Like 2

I bet it would be next to impossible for them to find another situation where they could rent with three pit bulls, much less allow them to run loose. That and their previously demonstrated degree of discretion tells you most of what you need to know. The landlady is probably not going to be of much help either unless it cost her money or puts her into legal situation. She made her choice when she agreed to rent to them. So it comes down to the local ordinances and the willingness of animal control to enforce them strictly and vigorously... and your willingness to stick it out with all the negativity emanating from next door. I'd do some research and figure out that part first, and then decide whether to make a stand or cut your losses. Being constantly afraid to step outside, or under some implied threat from such neighbors, would be a dealbreaker for most anyone.

Edited by salparadise
  • Like 3
  • Author
3 minutes ago, FMW said:

I would no longer attempt to communicate with any of them.  You now know how she will react in response.

Unless she initiates contact with you there's probably not much police can do about what she's done to this point.  They would likely say she was just responding to you , however unpleasant or bullying her demeanor.

But that's me, I generally choose to avoid "poking the bear".  I know how annoying and frustrating that can be at times.  But if it's peace you're seeking, don't engage.

So I didn't engage with her at all until she initiated contact with me on my porch and even then I was calm and polite. 

So she's just the kind of person who likes to argue and can you believe after all that she told me not to go to the landlord but to talk to her??? Lmfao. This lady is off her rocker lol

No I'll never say one word to her which is why I didn't go to her to address it to begin with because I knew how she'd react

Do you know who the property owner/their landlord is?

If they are causing issues and/or doing things that are trashing the place or in violation of the owner's lease agreement, the owner would most likely prefer to be informed.

You can't call the police unless their dogs approach you or are on your property.

Stop answering the door. Stop talking to them. Contact their landlord in writing with detailed facts regarding the nuisance they are causing. (not a rant about not liking the wife, childhood fears,etc.) 

• Like 2
  • Author
5 minutes ago, salparadise said:

I bet it would be next to impossible for them to find another situation where they could let three pit bulls run loose. That and their previously demonstrated degree of discretion tells you most of what you need to know. The landlady is probably not going to be of much help either unless it cost her money or puts her into legal situation. She made her choice when she agreed to rent to them. So it comes down to the local ordinances and the willingness of animal control to enforce them strictly and vigorously... and your willingness to stick it out with all the negativity emanating from next door. I'd do some research and figure out that part first, and then decide whether to make a stand or cut your losses. Being constantly afraid to step outside, or under some implied threat from such neighbors, would be a dealbreaker for most anyone.

And it would be next to impossible for me to find another place like this for this price

If you guys think this is bad you should've seen the neighbors I had back in my old duplex. They lived above me and made my life hell by being loud af and trashing the place so honestly? This is nothing. 

I think I will make it a point to venture out in the yard again with my phone on record to see what happens. I miss the yard and the pond out back and won't let them take that from me. Their dogs aren't out a lot so hopefully they won't go out when I'm out. 

There is no such thing as a "Shared" yard.  There is a property line somewhere.  And if it's a property complex (like an apartment) then they would have to leash the dog.  So... before I start... I love dogs.  BUT.... Are you in the USA?   If you are... and in a rural place... just shoot them if they "Trap" you again.   OK... I know that's extreme... but I personally wouldn't want to be bitten by a big, aggressive dog.  I would also contact the owners or rental company.  I'm guessing they have rules about the rental property, and larger animals. The neighbor may already be in the wrong just having the dogs there, and that's why she doesn't want you to contact the owners. 

The other thing would be to contact the local police.  Just make a report that the neighbors have large dogs that are running loose, and you are scared of them, and they trapped you in the garage. I'm guessing that there are leash laws in your area.

• Like 1

If I understand the set-up correctly, a single landlord owns the entire property, which consists of a main house (the larger place where the dogs and their owners live) and a smaller "guest cottage" where Dis lives.  Is that right?  If so, I am thinking leash laws may not apply since it is a private property.  Most municipalities do not require that animals be leashed when they are on the owner's private property. This would be something to check into.  The shared yard also muddies this issue. 

Are the dogs aggressive?  If they are, this would be something to document.

• Like 4

Hi Dis, what about barking?  I once lived in the same sort of sitch, and the dogs' barking was incessant!  

All day and night, and that low squeaky bark. OP😳  All the neighbors complained and I think animal control eventually stepped in but I had moved out by then.  

And I love dogs!!  And have owned many dogs myself.

But the barking!  Ugh.

Anyway, be thankful there's none of that, assuming there isn't cause that can be crazy making. 

Your cottage sounds lovely, forget the neighbors, enjoy your home!  

Home should bring you peace and tranquility, not this shyt where you have to text the dog owners when taking out the garbage to avoid risk of attack? 

Good grief, that isn't right. 

But good luck, hope it all gets resolved. 

Edited by poppyfields

I totally know where you’re coming from. I lived in an apartment complex where most of the dog owners did not use leashes. They felt it was too restrictive for their pets (I know not all owners are like this). These were big dogs too, like pit bulls and such. I was caring for a little dog at the time and he was attacked multiple times by these unleashed dogs. He was always on a leash, of course. Nothing was done by management because it was such a hot button issue and they had more dog owners than not. Like you, I had to check for dogs every time I went outside. I really wanted a snake so I could take it outside and let it roam for the same reasons. In all seriousness, it felt like a loosing battle having to tip toe around those who refused to leash their pets.

If they continue to harass you on your property, you need to contact the police. You also need to make sure your landlord is aware anytime this happens. If the dogs ever bite you or become highly aggressive with you, you are well within your rights to call animal control. Stay safe and I hope the issue resolves itself soon.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks everyone!!!

I went to the police today but seeing as it is a weekend and a state trooper station, they weren't there. 

I belong to my town's page on fb and am askong there. I will go back to the cops on Monday to report both the dogs and this crazy lady lol

aren’t wives territorial when it comes to single women around their husbands? She views you as a threat, that’s the feeling i get from her.

I'm so sorry you are facing this.  Single pitbulls have killed people and pets so you are not worrying for nothing.  

If there is a leash law in your state, please take advantage of it.  People should realise they cannot have these dogs and leave them dangerously out of control.  If it is a shared yard then there is no way they can just let them out without having the dogs under control.

My neighbours also have a pitbull.  Fortunately, they have built a big fence, which is a relief to me.  They are just the nasty sort of people who would want aggressive-looking dogs.  

I know people will say that their beloved pitbull wouold never hurt anyone.  That may be the case for some, but I have seen placid-looking labradors kill ducks and chickens so I know full well that a dog following its instincts can be dangerous.  People don't always know their animals as well as they think they do.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, elaine567 said:

She hates you as you are a "hot" young single woman who will likely steal her man away...
She is being territorial.
 Would it be possible to split the yard with some fencing? otherwise, I think you need to start looking for a new place where you and your cat can be safe.
Your landlady is not supportive and without her back up, you are in a weak position. She would rather lose your rent than theirs.
Your neighbours have found a great place in the woods where they can safely let their dogs go off leash, it is not their fault you are scared of dogs and have a cat.
As they are not willing to leash their dogs all the time when they have a great yard, and relations are strained, then you probably  need to find another place, sorry to say.

We don't know if her landlady is supportive or not.  The neighbour said OP had no right to report it to the landlady but of course she has a right to communicate with her landlady.  The neighbour is just trying to intimidate OP into not saying anything.

2 minutes ago, spiderowl said:

We don't know if her landlady is supportive or not. 

We  do.

15 hours ago, Dis said:

I walked back in my house and called my landlady. She basically didn't want anything to do with it. 

2 minutes ago, elaine567 said:

We  do.

Ah yes, I missed that bit!

Then it's a police or dog control matter.  It might be private land but if the landlady is letting the place to two different families then she has responsibilities to both those families, not just the one with the potentially dangerous dogs.

Does your lease say anything about pets and/or use of the shared yard?  I doubt that leash laws apply to a private yard, but a lawyer in your state could answer that for you.

I'm honestly not sure that running to the police is your best option at this point.  These people just moved in and you are going to have to live with them until at least next July (assuming they signed a year lease, and assuming you are unwilling to move).  IMO, going to the police will only break down the relationship further, and realistically, the police won't do anything anyway.

To play Devil's advocate, here might be the Wife's perspective on the matter:

They signed a lease in a rural area and moved in with their three dogs.  They let their dogs out into their yard without leashes, as most people probably do.  You ask them to keep their dogs leashed and they agree.  Then wife is thinking about it more and thinks Jeez, now we can't ever let our dogs out unleashed into our own yard?  This is annoying.  Maybe we agreed to this too hastily.  They go back over and you agree that you will text them if you want to use the yard.  Wife thinks, cool, we have a solution.  Then you change your mind about the agreement, and rather than going over and knocking on the door to have a conversation about it to come up with a new compromise, you text your landlord and then tell the neighbor's son what you decided.   Son goes back to mom and tells her God knows what.  Wife's perspective may be -- now neighbor has changed her mind, didn't try to work with us at all, ran to the landlord, and is trying to tell me I have to leash my dogs in my own yard at all times.  F that and no thanks.  

I mean, look, I'd be pissed as hell if I had a shared yard and neighbor moved in with three pitbulls.  But rather than running to the police (who aren't going to do anything), you might be better off taking your lease to a lawyer to find out what your rights actually are with respect to the shared yard.  You may have no right whatsoever to demand that they leash their dogs in the yard.  If that's the case, then you need to figure out the best way to try to work with these people.  Realistically, I think you are probably going to need to come to some kind of compromise with them.  And I agree with you that having to text them every time you leave your house is not realistic.  But there are a whole range of solutions between that and them having to keep their dogs leashed at all times.  

• Thanks 1

What a shame for you dis, and your little haven, l hope something can be worked out.

To my mind when you have a couple with 3 no less, dogs like that , then one of them is probably a pit bull themself and in this case unfortunately it's wifey. Just to ice that cake , with a dis living right next door to her hubby too. Seems amazing that they'd be allowed to let 3 dogs like that, not to mention wifey too haha, run loose around neighbours.

Haven't had much luck with aggressive neighbours myself , worst kind , good luck though and l hope something can be done.

On 9/11/2021 at 5:36 PM, Dis said:

I belong to my town's page on fb and am askong there. I will go back to the cops on Monday to report both the dogs and this crazy lady lol

Do you know who owns their place? Have you attempted less dramatic solutions first, such as contacting their landlord or requesting in writing that they not ring your doorbell? 

If you feel threatened by their coming up to your door or their dog running up to you bring the facts to the police so that you can get a restraining order. That's dramatic and you will have to live next to these people so running to the cops as soon as someone moves in will mean a strained situation.

This is a nonemergency, nuisance complaint, so you'll have to go to the correct place during normal business hours.  

Keep your cat inside.  I know someone whose cat was killed by a neighbor's dog.  A tragedy can happen in a split second.  You can't rely on these people to do the right thing.

• Thanks 1

I am actually shocked that your landlord (owner of the property) is allowing a tenant to own pit bulls.  There have been tons of cases where pit bulls have severely mauled, disfigured and killed people (google), and should that happen (god forbid), both the owner and landlord are liable.  This is one reason why many landlords don't even allow dogs, any dogs, let alone vicious pit bulls when there is more than one tenant.

See below, specifically bolded.  I would again stress to your landlord what is happening.  As a tenant, you are entitled to live in a quiet, peaceful environment, free of intimidation, harassment and/or in fear of dogs such that you are required to text your neighbor tenant when you need to take your garbage out or even just enjoy time outdoors on the property.  And even then I wouldn't feel safe, because pit bulls can escape and attack.  Again, google is your friend here, read and learn the dangers.

It's not a safe environment for you no matter what the "leash laws" are.  And if something should happen (you are mauled, severely hurt/disfigured), and many of the worst pit bull maulings and even killings have happened unprovoked, your landlord would be held liable for in some cases hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Not to mention the traumatic effect on YOU. 

I would NOT be messing around with this, it's just not safe, pit bulls are unpredictable and killer dogs.

----

The Law in Connecticut

In Connecticut, the owner or keeper of a dog is automatically liable for an injury to a person or property the dog causes. However, the owner or keeper of the dog may not be liable if the injured person was tormenting or abusing the dog or if the injured person was attempting to commit an injurious act on the owner’s property. Petting a dog in a normal manner is not considered tormenting, and the actions of anyone injured under the age of seven are presumed to have not been tormenting the dog or committing an injurious act towards the owner. The presumption can be proven otherwise.

A non-owner can be held liable in Connecticut if the person is providing care to the dog, such as feeding, watering and providing shelter to the pet. A landlord can also be held liable for injury caused by a tenant’s dog if the landlord knew or should have know that the dog was vicious or so dangerous as to likely cause injury and if the injury occurred on the landlord’s premises.

Edited by poppyfields
  • Like 2