Annoyed or too sensitive

Phoenix13Nash

So lately, one of my coworkers and my supervisor have been making rash comparisons to an old coworker (we will call him “so-so”) who was forced to move because he was lazy and extremely hostile to clients / coworkers. So I completely understand why he was relocated. He also blew our measures to oblivion constantly yielding abysmal results.  

There are a couple things my manager pointed out to me that I do not do on a consistent basis. That’s when he will say something like “oh that’s so-so’s style,” or “you’re being just like “so-so.” The job I have is highly demanding with stress, so while I admit I can do those two minuscule tasks better, my priority is tackling the bigger goals and meeting my metrics. 

As for my other coworker, I went out to do a certain task and he said “get it done” which is something “so-so” would  always say, so I knew immediately he was making that reference. When I came back to my task, I told him something along the lines of “Not only did I get it done, I crushed it. If you want us to be like so-so, all we need is to be down in the thirties.” 

I guess what’s most annoying about this comparison is that I don’t understand where it’s coming from.  Unlike so-so I always go to work early and stay until the facility closes. It’s gotten to the point where I decided I’m not going to kill myself anymore to get the results I’ve been getting. Unlike so-so, my results have been consistently out of this world, where I’m constantly hitting 300s (my boss can hit 310-330 consistently) whereas so-so has only hit 80-90 on his good days and 70 on bad ones. It’s gotten to a point where I’m going to intentionally let my results drop to make a point. I’m courteous to my teammates, but when I say hi to my boss, it’s like he barely says hi back. And my customer ratings are consistently 10/10  with maybe a couple 4/10s  out of dozens of surveys.  

So to compare me to so-so is a damn insult, and I’m like leagues above him and the complete polar opposite of him.  My boss is working me to death at 50 hours / week and to say I’m anything like him just completely demoralizes me and drains what little energy I have by the end of the week. What is BS? How should I respond? 

• 2 weeks later...

Speak with your boss about your hours and reduce them if you can still maintain your results. Leave out any issues about comparisons. Ignore it. People make banal comments or comparisons because it’s often a first thought (no filter).

Privately, you might want to review whether your responses are obnoxious or unwelcoming to others. If you “crush” a job or do well, let the results speak for themselves. Don’t respond to any unprofessional comments regarding your work especially with colleagues. They are not the ones evaluating you.