princessaurora

I am not an anti vaxxer, but have 2 autoimmune diseases and have not had the shot yet for that reason. But I mask up everywhere I go and I really don't go too many places other than work and the store every now and then. It;s a bummer but I have to protect myself and my family. I did lax a bit when the pandemic seemed to be almost past us, but never stopped masking.  My husband is vaccinated but 2 of my 3 kids are under 12 so can't.The rest of my relatives are all vaxxed.  I live in a pretty constant state of panic because the Delta variant is raging in the south right now, but i'm basically stuck between a rock and a hard place. But the anti vaxxers pi $$ me off so much. They come in my place of business and start spewing all their bull about how people who get the vaccine are lab rats and masks don't work. They'll get right on top of other clients and start talking to them just to be aholes. These are the people that are the biggest problem. I simply refuse to assist them if they refuse to mask up. I'm not putting my or my family;'s life at risk. It does suck  that even the vaccinated have to mask up, but like others have said they know now that vaccinated people can get it and pass it. I understand why some people choose not to get the vaccine. It is very new and they are afraid of what it could cause a few years from now. I wouldn't categorize them as antivaxxers though because they've gotten all the other vaccines throughout their life. They're just leary of this one since it was produced so fast and hasn't been approved by the FDA yet. But most people of that mindset are masking up and protecting themselves. It;s the ones who won't get vaxxed or mask up and continue to live their lives believing covid isn't real that are the problem and the main reason the virus continues to spread.  

It's a bit depressing to hear all the news about the upticks everywhere from delta, even in vaccinated individuals. It was also depressing to read about requiring booster shots.

Everybody wants this to end. But it looks like masks should stay for a while until we're really out of the woods..

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, princessaurora said:

it was produced so fast

It wasn’t. The research and testing has been going on for years, since SARS and MERS. That’s how they were able to get it ready for human trials so “quickly”. People worried about the speed of development should speak to actual vaccinologists rather than believing what someone read in a tabloid or on the internet somewhere. 

• Like 5
On 8/13/2021 at 6:45 PM, central said:

And even fully vaccinated people are not all protected

My DIL is a nurse. She is double jabbed (her partner is single-jabbed, waiting for his second shot - he’s a bit younger, and not a key worker). He recently got Covid, and passed it to her. She was so ill she needed hospitalisation (back home now and on the mend, but still off work). 

She’s double jabbed. She was ill enough to require hospitalisation. She’s a nurse - she knows about infection control. 

Vaccines help, but they’re not a magic bullet. There is still some risk, however small - it relies on maximising the uptake to increase the effectiveness. 

And while some countries are still struggling to get their hands on vaccines, there will be novel mutations brewing out there, somewhere, leaking through out porous borders and globalised processes, and at some point some random mutation might just sidestep at least one of our current vaccines - almost certainly will (if it hasn’t already) unless overall global vaccination rates get ramped up very very quickly. 

Masks help. Social distancing helps. Infection control measures like washing hands and sanitising surfaces etc help. Would you rather save lives or put vulnerable people at risk? 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

. It was also depressing to read about requiring booster shots.

But not really surprising, the four existing coronaviruses do not produce long lasting immunity. a year at most, even only six months has been reported..
The hope that the vaccines against the novel strain may provide longer lasting immunity has not been dashed completely, but with the new Delta variant producing "break through" infections in double vaccinated people, then booster shots  to counter waning immunity, seem not to be a bad idea...

• Like 2
mark clemson

^^ we have the option to get flu shots every year. From that perspective doing something similar for COVID doesn't seem unreasonable, particularly if insurance pays.

• Like 3
On 8/18/2021 at 7:57 AM, princessaurora said:

I am not an anti vaxxer, but have 2 autoimmune diseases and have not had the shot yet for that reason. But I mask up everywhere I go and I really don't go too many places other than work and the store every now and then. It;s a bummer but I have to protect myself and my family. I did lax a bit when the pandemic seemed to be almost past us, but never stopped masking.  My husband is vaccinated but 2 of my 3 kids are under 12 so can't.The rest of my relatives are all vaxxed.  I live in a pretty constant state of panic because the Delta variant is raging in the south right now, but i'm basically stuck between a rock and a hard place. But the anti vaxxers pi $$ me off so much. They come in my place of business and start spewing all their bull about how people who get the vaccine are lab rats and masks don't work. They'll get right on top of other clients and start talking to them just to be aholes. These are the people that are the biggest problem. I simply refuse to assist them if they refuse to mask up. I'm not putting my or my family;'s life at risk. It does suck  that even the vaccinated have to mask up, but like others have said they know now that vaccinated people can get it and pass it. I understand why some people choose not to get the vaccine. It is very new and they are afraid of what it could cause a few years from now. I wouldn't categorize them as antivaxxers though because they've gotten all the other vaccines throughout their life. They're just leary of this one since it was produced so fast and hasn't been approved by the FDA yet. But most people of that mindset are masking up and protecting themselves. It;s the ones who won't get vaxxed or mask up and continue to live their lives believing covid isn't real that are the problem and the main reason the virus continues to spread.  

Just wondered if you had done any research on the effects of the vaccine on people with autoimmune diseases?  I can understand that people with these problems are going to be concerned about the possible effects of a vaccine, but I have not myself investigated what has happened to people who have taken it.  It may be that you would be reassured.  I know my niece was worried about it because she has brittle asthma and a potentially life-threatening hormonal deficiency.  In the end, she had two AstraZenica vaccines and was absolutely fine.  I know there are risks for a fraction of people and no-one knows if they will be one of those people, it's just worth looking at research results rather than reading about all the fears people have.

People also seem to forget that many of us had multiple vaccines when we were children which seemed to have no serious impact.  No doubt some did have a reaction but we all know plenty of people who survived those vaccinations and were fortunate to avoid, tetanus, typhoid, diptheria, smallpox, polio, meningitis, measles, mumps and rubella (those are the ones that come to mind).  Where would we be now if these diseases were rampant in society?  It is not that long ago that parents were afraid to let their children go the swimming pool in case they caught polio.

Edited by spiderowl
  • Like 1
princessaurora
22 hours ago, spiderowl said:

Just wondered if you had done any research on the effects of the vaccine on people with autoimmune diseases?  I can understand that people with these problems are going to be concerned about the possible effects of a vaccine, but I have not myself investigated what has happened to people who have taken it.  It may be that you would be reassured.  I know my niece was worried about it because she has brittle asthma and a potentially life-threatening hormonal deficiency.  In the end, she had two AstraZenica vaccines and was absolutely fine.  I know there are risks for a fraction of people and no-one knows if they will be one of those people, it's just worth looking at research results rather than reading about all the fears people have.

People also seem to forget that many of us had multiple vaccines when we were children which seemed to have no serious impact.  No doubt some did have a reaction but we all know plenty of people who survived those vaccinations and were fortunate to avoid, tetanus, typhoid, diptheria, smallpox, polio, meningitis, measles, mumps and rubella (those are the ones that come to mind).  Where would we be now if these diseases were rampant in society?  It is not that long ago that parents were afraid to let their children go the swimming pool in case they caught polio.

I have looked at medical articles quite a bit and it's basically unknown. There weren't enough people with autoimmune conditions in the study to test it out. Now I do have a few friends with autoimmune conditions and they all took the mRNA vaccines because we are at higher risk for severe covid so they decided it was better to get vaxed. I just wish we knew for certain it wouldn't trigger additional problems with our immunity. That's definitely a concern for me. But now there's also indications that covid may lead to autoimmune conditions as other infections in history have, so I truly am torn right now. 

• Sad 1
Fletch Lives

The covid surge in the U.S. could be just a spike like they had in India back in May. 

For a week or so, all we heard about in the news was that the country (India) was being overrun by covid. Now, you hear nothing - because it was just a spike in the curve.

This might all be over before you know it.

Edited by Fletch Lives
18 hours ago, princessaurora said:

I have looked at medical articles quite a bit and it's basically unknown. There weren't enough people with autoimmune conditions in the study to test it out. Now I do have a few friends with autoimmune conditions and they all took the mRNA vaccines because we are at higher risk for severe covid so they decided it was better to get vaxed. I just wish we knew for certain it wouldn't trigger additional problems with our immunity. That's definitely a concern for me. But now there's also indications that covid may lead to autoimmune conditions as other infections in history have, so I truly am torn right now. 

I can understand that.  There are few certainties in all this.  The only certainty I know is that Covid can be deadly, even to people without autoimmune disorders.  I wish my sibling had had the option of a vaccine but it was not available then.  Instead, two children have lost their parent.

• Sad 3
17 hours ago, Fletch Lives said:

The covid surge in the U.S. could be just a spike like they had in India back in May. 

For a week or so, all we heard about in the news was that the country (India) was being overrun by covid. Now, you hear nothing - because it was just a spike in the curve.

This might all be over before you know it.

It's not over in the UK and we had the spikes from the Delta variant earlier than in the US.  The only thing that is keeping deaths down to around 100 a day here is the vaccine, as a large proportion of the population are vaccinated now.  It would unimaginably awful if people were not vaccinated.

Edited by spiderowl
  • Like 1
princessaurora
2 hours ago, spiderowl said:

I can understand that.  There are few certainties in all this.  The only certainty I know is that Covid can be deadly, even to people without autoimmune disorders.  I wish my sibling had had the option of a vaccine but it was not available then.  Instead, two children have lost their parent.

That's awful spiderowl. You have my deepest condolences. 😥

• Like 1
19 hours ago, princessaurora said:

That's awful spiderowl. You have my deepest condolences. 😥

Thank you, princessaurora, my life has been turned upside down and lost all meaning.  I lost my dad and a sibling to Covid.  There was talk of a vaccine at that time (2020) and scientists were working flat out to make one but it just wasn't ready then.  They had no choice except to take great care but somehow got exposed.  

• Sad 2
princessaurora
18 hours ago, spiderowl said:

Thank you, princessaurora, my life has been turned upside down and lost all meaning.  I lost my dad and a sibling to Covid.  There was talk of a vaccine at that time (2020) and scientists were working flat out to make one but it just wasn't ready then.  They had no choice except to take great care but somehow got exposed.  

That's the thing. You could do everything to protect yourself and still somehow catch it, and noone knows if they''ll end up with a severe case,  especially with the Delta variant.   I'm so sorry you lost your loved ones:(

3 hours ago, princessaurora said:

That's the thing. You could do everything to protect yourself and still somehow catch it, and noone knows if they''ll end up with a severe case,  especially with the Delta variant.   I'm so sorry you lost your loved ones:(

Thank you