We now have Delta, but let's talk about Lambda

Will the Delta variant growing by leaps and bounds here in Florida and a governor that's levying fines against those that defy him on mask mandates...let's talk about the Lambda variant. According to petri dish lab tests, it is shown to be vaccine resistant.  Though, this is ONLY lab tests, it is concerning

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/delta-infections-among-vaccinated-likely-contagious-lambda-variant-shows-vaccine-2021-08-02/

Edited by QuietRiot
  • Shocked 1
On 8/4/2021 at 6:38 AM, QuietRiot said:

Will the Delta variant growing by leaps and bounds here in Florida and a governor that's levying fines against those that defy him on mask mandates...

So you're upset with FL government's stance on this?

Hasn't that been the case  all along?  Upticks, breakouts, etc. because of lax attitudes regarding mandates to limit transmission in general?

There's going to be plenty of mutations and varients. It's the nature of the beast.

The problem is the virulence of it. With each variant, how transmissible, pathogenic and deadly is it? 

Perhaps people got understandably eager to get back to normal and with vaccines that certainly help.

However in some areas, whether due to vaccination rates or emerging variants, ripping off the masks too soon may be an oops moment for many areas.

I saw an interview with Dr. Fauci who said 90-something % of the current US cases are Delta.  He cautioned against leaving it unchecked without masks & vaccines because he claimed doing that would lead to mutated vaccine resistant strains.  

At this point, the science is still learning / testing / figuring this out.  I'm not about to amateur  arm-chair quarterback it.  

On 8/10/2021 at 2:11 AM, Wiseman2 said:

So you're upset with FL government's stance on this?

Hasn't that been the case  all along?  Upticks, breakouts, etc. because of lax attitudes regarding mandates to limit transmission in general?

There's going to be plenty of mutations and varients. It's the nature of the beast.

The problem is the virulence of it. With each variant, how transmissible, pathogenic and deadly is it? 

Perhaps people got understandably eager to get back to normal and with vaccines that certainly help.

However in some areas, whether due to vaccination rates or emerging variants, ripping off the masks too soon may be an oops moment for many areas.

Things like mask mandates, were definitely lifted too soon. 

I think we're doing okay where I live, but stores that I visit have implemented their own mask mandates again. 

• Like 1
On 8/4/2021 at 11:38 AM, QuietRiot said:

Will the Delta variant growing by leaps and bounds here in Florida and a governor that's levying fines against those that defy him on mask mandates...let's talk about the Lambda variant. According to petri dish lab tests, it is shown to be vaccine resistant.  Though, this is ONLY lab tests, it is concerning

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/delta-infections-among-vaccinated-likely-contagious-lambda-variant-shows-vaccine-2021-08-02/

It might be vaccine resistant, but it is much less transmissable, thus making it not particularly worrying. It is classed as a variant of interest, not of concern, for that very reason. If you have Delta, or even Alpha, going around, the chances of Lambda being an issue are slim to none. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 6:38 AM, QuietRiot said:

I srsly can't get over the mess in FL. Truly shameful in my opinion what that governor is doing. 😒