Bald/balding men, how are you doing?

Cookiesandough

Fletch Lives
13 hours ago, Cookiesandough said:

, I read this one article a researcher said that balding is seen as a sign of sexual maturity, dominance, intelligence in silverback gorillas

They are just monkeying around 😄

However, some men actually suit the bald/shaved look, they have faces that are enhanced by a bald head, others don't.

Black guys look good with their head shaved. White guys look like butt.

By the way, confidence is a decision.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Cookiesandough said:

intelligence in silverback gorillas 

Do they go bald? 🦍

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Do they go bald? 🦍

No, the great apes do not go bald.
The acclaimed gorilla male, Kadogo was "bald" from birth..

• Like 1
  • Author
Cookiesandough
1 hour ago, Wiseman2 said:

Do they go bald? 🦍

Sorry I think it was chimps not gorillas and I think it said they go bald and the leader/alpha chimp usually is going bald yea 

But again this was a long time ago that  I read this, so don’t quote me

Edited by Cookiesandough

The nature vs culture issue resurfaces once more.

Yeah, some of sexual attraction / selection "factors" are remainings of evolutive signals of what is perceived as different for each sex.

More immediate (and still indirect) in most of annimals (as strong dimorphism) while they trend to stay as symbolic in the special kind of annimal we are.

That´s the case of secondary sexual characteristics (those sexually dimorphic characteristics that are not directly involved in sex) but may sometimes drive choices.

Nothing that can be ignored or will easily dissapear, neither something that should have too much wheight for present time humans.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cookiesandough said:

I think it said they go bald and the leader/alpha chimp usually is going bald.

Okeydokey. So alpha chimps are sexy?🦧

• Like 1
  • Author
Cookiesandough

Unclear on that one, but I believe the alpha chimp is supposed to be most intelligent, dominant, socially suave, and gets the most chimp punan. 

Edited by Cookiesandough
  • Like 1
  • Author
Cookiesandough
28 minutes ago, Uruktopi said:

The nature vs culture issue resurfaces once more.

Yeah, some of sexual attraction / selection "factors" are remainings of evolutive signals of what is perceived as different for each sex.

More immediate (and still indirect) in most of annimals (as strong dimorphism) while they trend to stay as symbolic in the special kind of annimal we are.

That´s the case of secondary sexual characteristics (those sexually dimorphic characteristics that are not directly involved in sex) but may sometimes drive choices.

Nothing that can be ignored or will easily dissapear, neither something that should have too much wheight for present time humans.

I agree with you, generally. It’s all in how you interpret such things too.  I wouldn’t secondary sex characteristics a remaining/ vestigial element of attraction. They’re pretty important markers ( if you’re talking in the realm of  evolutionary psych) Generally , those born male have  more testosterone or other androgens prenatally  and after  that gives them a look we associate with male, that’s then converted to DHT making them more more likely to go bald. Or something like that. But that’s how( again, speaking purely in evo psych) decide ‘oh I could make healthy babies with that thing’ 

But yea that is subject to interpretation … because take chimps who have been observed to prefer older female chimps.. we’ve come up with a whole new theory on why that is. And there’s always some theory you can drum up to back data 

Edited by Cookiesandough
  • Like 1

Considering humans rarely lived beyond 40 in evolutionary history, baldness wasn’t nearly as common for our ancestors. But that being said, as early baldness is genetic, those that did go bald early still must have mated successfully or the trait would have died out. And it hasn’t. 

• Like 2
  • Author
Cookiesandough

True. I knew a lot of 20 year olds with recession, though. For some it starts pretty young.. early adult/late adolescence. 

and if you chop guys balls off ( eunuch) supposedly they never go bald  ! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wiseman2 said:

Okeydokey. So alpha chimps are sexy?🦧

Seems that´s true for at least some lady chimps.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Weezy1973 said:

Considering humans rarely lived beyond 40 in evolutionary history, baldness wasn’t nearly as common for our ancestors. But that being said, as early baldness is genetic, those that did go bald early still must have mated successfully or the trait would have died out. And it hasn’t. 

Some incomplete but still serious research suggest that,  considering a wide time scale, we are all descendants of a significative smaller number of males than of of women.

And to early stop some secondary a la mode debates, that took place mainly for thousands of years earlier than social patriarchy was there. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, poppyfields said:

When a man chooses to shave his head, apparently there is some sort of meaning behind that, like he is dominant, commanding or something like that anyway, I read this several years ago...

I don't know the psychology behind a shaved head but I find it extremely sexy!

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Gaeta said:

I had no such choice as i went naturally "shaved" when I was about 40 years old 😄

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Cookiesandough said:

I agree with you, generally. It’s all in how you interpret such things too.  I wouldn’t secondary sex characteristics a remaining/ vestigial element of attraction. They’re pretty important markers ( if you’re talking in the realm of  evolutionary psych) Generally , those born male have  more testosterone or other androgens prenatally  and after  that gives them a look we associate with male, that’s then converted to DHT making them more more likely to go bald. Or something like that. But that’s how( again, speaking purely in evo psych) decide ‘oh I could make healthy babies with that thing’ 

But yea that is subject to interpretation … because take chimps who have been observed to prefer older female chimps.. we’ve come up with a whole new theory on why that is. And there’s always some theory you can drum up to back data 

I agree with you.

Yes, I was thinking in terms of  evo, both biology (where I have some formation) and psych (in which I am an avid reader but no solid formal specific education about).

It´s interesting how, for social species, same things behave in more mediated ways, without getting totally autonomous of their material basis.

Abut "interpretation"......

Yeah, we can say it that way, valid.

But I feel some itch about the use of that term in what are known as "natural sciences".

Not something to elaborate in this same thread, but a quite interesting maatter.

It´s nice to read serious aproaches like yours, thank you.

• Like 1
CaliforniaGirl
2 hours ago, Gaeta said:

It’s probably cultural. Men who shave their heads when they really don’t need to are seen as badasses, at least if they have other badass traits.

• Like 1
Interstellar

i’m bald by choice. I have it shaved like the Rock because i don’t wanna look like a pretty boy.

made me look younger though so that’s always good.

Edited by Interstellar
  • Like 1