How do you cheer yourself up?

18 minutes ago, BaileyB said:

Nice long walks do it for me. I do my best thinking during a long walk on a beautiful day... 

I wish.  If I'm upset or sad about something, that feeling just destroys the walk.  Or other activity.  Hence my suggestion of allowing the thoughts so that they can be processed.

• Like 1
mark clemson

Some significant part of what "cheers us up" is brain chemistry. Suggest you research the "big 4" happiness neurotransmitters (dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin, and endorphins) and some of the ways to boost them. Then start implementing the methods you find convenient into your lifestyle. 

Here's one article to start with, I would do a bit more research than just what's in there, although it's not bad IMO.

Certain things, such as exercising outside or, once it's safe, participating socially in a volunteer organization, will hit multiple ones at once.

https://www.healthline.com/health/happy-hormone

• Like 1
On 4/24/2021 at 10:11 AM, ZA Dater said:

I try to be positive and see the good but the last week has been quite difficult despite a very promising work development. 

I like positive thinking and believe it has many benefits, but I also think that too much of it can be counter-productive. Like, if we're always striving for perceived perfection, we're just waiting for the big shoe to drop. Besides that, the longer we spend lost in our head trying to come up with ways to get out of a bad mood, the more entangled we can become.

I'm not sure, that's just one way to look at it, I suppose.

You are experiencing a bereavement here, the loss of someone you held dear, plus the loss of a dream.
Time heals. Be kind to yourself. Sleep well, eat well, get plenty fresh air.
Give yourself a break.
Crying is actually good, so allow yourself to cry.
There is no need to put pressure on yourself to cheer up, something dreadful just happened, you need to process that.
Moping about and wallowing is all part of healing, allow yourself that.
You don't need to pretend you are happy or that you don't care, 24/7.
You will have good days and bad days, but there will be an upward trend and one day it just wont hurt quite so much...

• Like 1

I usually take a hot shower, and do some skin care/body care. Then i journal for a bit or take a long walk. Then I'll wrap myself up into a blanket buritto and let myself have a good rest. If I can't sleep, i'll just try to find a funny movie to get my mind off things.

• Like 2
On 4/24/2021 at 12:11 PM, ZA Dater said:

Relatively simply title, I am interested in what everyone does when they feel down?

Sure, we all know not every day can be a happy one but what do you do when you have a few of these to make yourself feel better. I try to be positive and see the good but the last week has been quite difficult despite a very promising work development. 

Part of my problem is being so isolated, sure I go places, have hobbies but ultimately I always feel isolated and alone.

Usually I do something, walk on the beach, cycle along some of my favourite roads, take my muscle car for a drive but none of these have really helped much this time.  

Everyone has great suggestions. I'm a more introverted, self-contained person, so I tend to withdraw when I feel down. I will indulge in a limited amount of self pity, and think about whatever is the issue, cry a little, think about possibilities. Then it's time to do something about changing my mood, otherwise this can go on and on and on... you get the picture.

If I'm feeling up for it, a good workout makes me feel better. For more sedentary pursuits, I love nothing better than Netflix and Chill and a good snack or indulgent dinner. Other things I enjoy doing then are: epsom salt baths, aromatherapy, guided meditation/positivity talks (I'm too squirrel brained for mindful meditation on my own).

I've come across a few of your posts, and wondered if you're feeling the need for human touch. Have you considered a massage? And no, I don't mean a rub and tug. Just a regular old massage to help feel connected and relaxed.

• Author

Today was a bit better, I have always tried to work out but I am doing that with more focus and that has helped a bit and I did have someone reach out which was unexpected and rather nice that also helped. 

I think the best thing one can do it just take it one day at a time. 

• Like 1
  • Author
9 hours ago, elaine567 said:

You are experiencing a bereavement here, the loss of someone you held dear, plus the loss of a dream.
Time heals. Be kind to yourself. Sleep well, eat well, get plenty fresh air.
Give yourself a break.
Crying is actually good, so allow yourself to cry.
There is no need to put pressure on yourself to cheer up, something dreadful just happened, you need to process that.
Moping about and wallowing is all part of healing, allow yourself that.
You don't need to pretend you are happy or that you don't care, 24/7.
You will have good days and bad days, but there will be an upward trend and one day it just wont hurt quite so much...

Well I am just going to take it one day at a time and see how that goes, there are some good work developments which should keep me partly distracted. That's the thing if I keep myself distracted enough I can have a lot of good day but that is easier said than done. 

One thing I did do today was take a step out of my comfort zone and its going to be interesting to see how this idea is received, again this distracts me and give me an objective to keep my mind busy. I am very careful not to wallow because very little good ever comes of that and seeing as I see people most days I need to put on my people face and pretend all is normal.

Weights and sit ups are funnily enough helping me feel a bit better, as is running. 

I think its also about finding some perspective and not being too blinkered in my outlook. There are many ways to get over a wall.

• Author

I am finding a set work out routine is helping me quite a bit, small change but it has made a reasonable difference. I am still as isolated but its a bit more tolerable. 

The greatest power we have is to control our thinking and I am so far winning the battle, each day is a bit better. Sure, I need to to purposely ignore certain things but if I can do that things are tolerable.

"You should go out, stop sitting at home" was something a friend of mine said to me yesterday which made me think but I have done this dance before, go out and its more of everything I want to avoid, the whole hamster wheel of competition and showing off, not to mention I never really fit in, unless its hobbies then its ok. Sitting in a bar holds not attraction to me.

Though the upside is there are other good things in life to keep me going. I am thinking about a short trip in June but that a bit up in the air because while the trip will be about one thing it will actually be about seeing someone, so far that person has not responded about that idea...

• Like 1

I garden a lot both inside and outside. This also means I'm usually cleaning up dirt tracked in from the outside and dust or spraying something for bugs or looking up how to do something. I'm lucky to live in a very nature-oriented city so this means there are also forests, lakes, the ocean close by. 

To cheer myself up I probably eat way too many portuguese buns and pastries but also walk and run quite a lot. The oxygen is good. 

Evenings are with a book or back to back movies. I usually figure out what I need to do the next day the night before.. maybe this is a bit nerdy but whatever. It helps keeps me organized.