would you want to be a survivor if 90% of your sex was wiped out?

many years back after re-reading "Y-The last man" I wondered if I would want to be the last of my sex, I asked in a bunch of forums and many painted that as a bleak future for the last male or female in that scenario, well I recently binge watched sliders and there was an episode call "love gods" where biological warfare wiped out the majority of the men on that world and the world nations were in a race to repopulate(that version of earth never invented invitro fertilization so it had to be done the old fashioned way).

Well my version it would be a 90% kill rate on one sex, that would mean over 3 billion men or women would drop dead(depending on which sex you are) I know that sounds like a lot but there are 7 billion people on the planet. that means 350 million of your sex would have been immune, thats still 3 times as many people both male and female on the planet than for most of human history, it is estimated that the word population averaged between 40 - 100 million for most of the time we have been on the planet, and a few points early on dipping to just a few thousand(during ice ages and such). so that is more than enough of the effected sex surviving for genetic diversity. plus your competition would go way down.

There are already threads where people talk about cities and towns where the male/female ratio is imbalanced and how much easier it is to find dates or relationships for those in the minority sex.

And that's just towns with a 2-1 difference, imagine 9-1(in your favor).

Absolutely not, I want to disappear with the 90% of other women lol.

There is a region close to here where there are 7 women for each men. I lived there for 6 years. The competition for men is brutal. Every woman is is beautiful ! thin or athletic, dress to perfection and the men all look like gnomes ! unshaven, unkept in everyway you can imagine. 

Calmandfocused

And you are preoccupied with this fictional idea because??? ...

No it wouldn’t make dating easier. The population would die out eventually. You’d be killing your own species. 

Did you have a dating question?

• Like 2
Happy Lemming

This is actually happening in China and becoming a BIG problem.

"Shortage of Girls in China"

"Dr. Banister analyzes the causes of these losses of daughters in China. She shows how female fetuses, babies, and young girls are selectively aborted..."

Source: https://www.prb.org/shortageofgirlsinchina/

• Like 2
  • Author
19 minutes ago, Gaeta said:

Absolutely not, I want to disappear with the 90% of other women lol.

There is a region close to here where there are 7 women for each men. I lived there for 6 years. The competition for men is brutal. Every woman is is beautiful ! thin or athletic, dress to perfection and the men all look like gnomes ! unshaven, unkept in everyway you can imagine. 

But in the question I proposed you would be living in a world where you would have the advantage, there would be 9 guys for every lady, sort of like living in a small town with multiple military bases(they tend to be real man heavy). you would have your pick lol  I know you have a man but I'm just saying in a world like that all the men would be killing themselves in the gym and getting multiple degree's in college lol.

19 minutes ago, Calmandfocused said:

And you are preoccupied with this fictional idea because??? ...

No it wouldn’t make dating easier. The population would die out eventually. You’d be killing your own species. 

Did you have a dating question?

How would it not make dating easier?  you would still have more humans of both sex's than the whole human population for most of human history. the ratio would just be in your favor.

13 minutes ago, Happy Lemming said:

This is actually happening in China and becoming a BIG problem.

"Shortage of Girls in China"

"Dr. Banister analyzes the causes of these losses of daughters in China. She shows how female fetuses, babies, and young girls are selectively aborted..."

Source: https://www.prb.org/shortageofgirlsinchina/

yep I would hate to live in china for that reason, as it's the females that are in short supply.

9 minutes ago, cyphorX said:

But in the question I proposed you would be living in a world where you would have the advantage, there would be 9 guys for every lady, sort of like living in a small town with multiple military bases(they tend to be real man heavy). you would have your pick lol  I know you have a man but I'm just saying in a world like that all the men would be killing themselves in the gym and getting multiple degree's in college lol.

My man(ex) cheated on me so apparently I can't keep 1 man happy I wouldn't know what to do with 9 of them 😉

It's a man's dream to have multiple beautiful women wanting him.

Us women we mostly dream of that 1 man that will do it right. 

Edited by Gaeta
  • Like 2
  • Author
14 minutes ago, Gaeta said:

My man(ex) cheated on me so apparently I can't keep 1 man happy I wouldn't know what to do with 9 of them 😉

It's a man's dream to have multiple beautiful women wanting him.

Us women we mostly dream of that 1 man that will do it right. 

who said you had to pick 9? in my scenario it would just mean the right man for you would more likely be single when you meet them lol also getting cheated on would be less likely as very few women would be available to him and the risk of losing you would be too great.

There is no way on earth I'd wish my mother, my sister, my best friends and my daughterto be wiped out.   Personal relationships aside, like it or not, there are roles in life which each gender tends to be drawn to, so we lose all those people too.   Mental health of both sexes would take a massive hit, primarily due to the loss of all our loved ones, but after that - as @Happy Lemming said, have a look at the mental health of the men in China.  

My imagining of this is like something from a post apocalyptic TV series.   About the only up side is that we'd all be magically groomed even when surrounded by death and destruction of men trying to kill each other out of desperation for some feminine affection.

All this to have a better shot at dating?  It's a No from me.   

Edited by basil67
  • Like 1

Comin back to this, I want to clarify that I don't think *all* men would be violent with each other out of desperation, but if post apocalyptic shows are anything to go by, it would certainly be a subset.  And of this subset, the remaining women would also be highly at risk of rape and sexual assault by desperados who have limited morals.  

And for all the men who'd treat his woman as a queen so that she wouldn't leave, there would be others who make sure his partner can't leave.

@cyphorX I really don't think you've thought this through.  

• Like 2
Cookiesandough

Not at all. First of all, it’s hard for me to get behind abolishing a good 40% of population for no rhyme or reason. Then imagine how much thirstier some men would be. I can easily see a democratic process that justifies control and oppression of the remaining women. No thx jeff.

Edited by Cookiesandough
  • Like 2
  • Author
47 minutes ago, basil67 said:

Comin back to this, I want to clarify that I don't think *all* men would be violent with each other out of desperation, but if post apocalyptic shows are anything to go by, it would certainly be a subset.  And of this subset, the remaining women would also be highly at risk of rape and sexual assault by desperados who have limited morals.  

And for all the men who'd treat his woman as a queen so that she wouldn't leave, there would be others who make sure his partner can't leave.

@cyphorX I really don't think you've thought this through.  

Well in my case since I'm a man it would be 90% of other men gone, meaning in large cities the female population would be the same but there would be only a few hundred other guys, no more going to a bar and seeing a sausage fest, no more going to singles functions on meetup and seeing 50 guys and 8 women. no more sending out 50 msgs out to only get 3 responses.

Well if our history demonstrates anything, the last remaining 10% would be quickly enslaved and commodernised.

When demand for mates is that high, those in power will move quickly to control the supply.  I imagine entire wars could be fought over access.

You're talking about the right to continue a gene line.  This is pretty fundamental stuff.
There wouldn't be "dating" anymore.  Those with power would be the only ones with the opportunity to breed.

Pretty dystopian stuff. 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, cyphorX said:

Well in my case since I'm a man it would be 90% of other men gone, meaning in large cities the female population would be the same but there would be only a few hundred other guys, no more going to a bar and seeing a sausage fest, no more going to singles functions on meetup and seeing 50 guys and 8 women. no more sending out 50 msgs out to only get 3 responses.

Going back to how genders often tend to different skill sets, if most of the men were gone, who's going to run the electricity grids?  Source and deliver gas?  Automotive services?  Heck, even the internet is going to fail because not enough women work in the field    The way our society is currently run, both genders are essential in a functioning world.   

So besides, the fact that women will be grieving their lost husbands, boyfriends, fathers and sons, swanning about in bars and going to meetups really isn't going to be a thing in this post apocalyptic scenario.   

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, neowulf said:

Well if our history demonstrates anything, the last remaining 10% would be quickly enslaved and commodernised.

When demand for mates is that high, those in power will move quickly to control the supply.  I imagine entire wars could be fought over access.

You're talking about the right to continue a gene line.  This is pretty fundamental stuff.
There wouldn't be "dating" anymore.  Those with power would be the only ones with the opportunity to breed.

Pretty dystopian stuff. 

Whoa!   Now you've given me even more to consider.   

I tell you, there's a Netflix series in this!

• Like 1

@neowulf  Exactly.   The women who are left would need to rebuild society, so they would take control of the remaining fertile men with peak sperm quality so that they could impregnate a select group of genetically diverse women.  (impregnating too many women would lead to inbreeding).   Men who are no longer fertile or who's semen is too old would become workers who keep society running, along with the less desirable women (old/disabled/uneducated/troublemakers).  

Where it would diverge from The Handmaid's Tale would be a lack of men to do manufacturing/keep the lights on/vehicle maintenance/IT etc....so perhaps the chosen ones would live in a smaller centre, where the men who know how to do this stuff keep society running just for them. 

• Like 2
  • Author
43 minutes ago, basil67 said:

@neowulf  Exactly.   The women who are left would need to rebuild society, so they would take control of the remaining fertile men with peak sperm quality so that they could impregnate a select group of genetically diverse women.  (impregnating too many women would lead to inbreeding).   Men who are no longer fertile or who's semen is too old would become workers who keep society running, along with the less desirable women (old/disabled/uneducated/troublemakers).  

Where it would diverge from The Handmaid's Tale would be a lack of men to do manufacturing/keep the lights on/vehicle maintenance/IT etc....so perhaps the chosen ones would live in a smaller centre, where the men who know how to do this stuff keep society running just for them. 

No the would not be a shortage of men to do manufacturing/keep the lights on/vehicle maintenance/IT etc, today  every time someone gets fired in one of those fields there are 100's of resumes the HR lady can choose from, so if 90% of men died tomorrow there would still be enough qualified men to fill those positions(barely) there are thousands of people with training in those fields who now work at starbucks, so companies just wouldn't have the luxury of being able to fire anyone willy nilly so wages would go up also. 

2 hours ago, neowulf said:

Pretty dystopian stuff. 

Not really as it's an issue that only takes one generation to balance out, there is always some part of the world where this plays out, the only difference in my scenario is it's world wide.  but in countries after a recent civil war often end up with women outnumbering men anywhere from 4 -1 to 6-1  and that's the over all population its more like 8-1 or 9-1 in the 16-40 demography(because that's the age of the solders/rebels doing the fighting). and what usually happens within 10 years is rebuilding and that country being better off as workers left over aren't competing for jobs or wives and in another 10 or so years the male/female ratio balances out.   

2 hours ago, basil67 said:

Going back to how genders often tend to different skill sets, if most of the men were gone, who's going to run the electricity grids?  Source and deliver gas?  Automotive services?  Heck, even the internet is going to fail because not enough women work in the field    The way our society is currently run, both genders are essential in a functioning world.   

So besides, the fact that women will be grieving their lost husbands, boyfriends, fathers and sons, swanning about in bars and going to meetups really isn't going to be a thing in this post apocalyptic scenario.   

You forget there are more people qualified for those jobs than there are Jobs available ask any HR person one position opens up and they have 100's of resume's to go through so if 90% of men died tomorrow there would still be enough qualified men to fill those positions and many qualified women will get a shot at those jobs also. you wipe out 90% of men we would still have close to the amount of men we had at the start of the industrial revolution(late 1800's to early 1900's) . so this  would not be a post apocalyptic scenario.   

27 minutes ago, cyphorX said:

No the would not be a shortage of men to do manufacturing/keep the lights on/vehicle maintenance/IT etc, today  every time someone gets fired in one of those fields there are 100's of resumes the HR lady can choose from, so if 90% of men died tomorrow there would still be enough qualified men to fill those positions(barely) there are thousands of people with training in those fields who now work at starbucks, so companies just wouldn't have the luxury of being able to fire anyone willy nilly so wages would go up also.

@cyphorX  You mentioned that you're in Texas.   

The US has a skills shortage in many crucial fields, including the male dominated fields of trades, IT and manufacturing.  It's so bad that the US has programs to give visas to skilled foreign workers to fill the gap.   I've given links which are biased both left and and right which agree there's a shortage.   These were just the tip of the iceberg of sources.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/19/its-never-been-this-hard-for-companies-to-find-qualified-workers.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahchamberlain/2019/08/21/addressing-the-skilled-labor-shortage-in-america/?sh=57cabe23181d

Edited by basil67
  • Author
23 minutes ago, basil67 said:

@cyphorX  You mentioned that you're in Texas.   

The US has a skills shortage in many crucial fields, including the male dominated fields of trades, IT and manufacturing.  It's so bad that the US has programs to give visas to skilled foreign workers to fill the gap.   I've given links which are biased both left and and right which agree there's a shortage.   These were just the tip of the iceberg of sources.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/19/its-never-been-this-hard-for-companies-to-find-qualified-workers.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahchamberlain/2019/08/21/addressing-the-skilled-labor-shortage-in-america/?sh=57cabe23181d

Okay those links are misleading there is not a skill shortage, those are fields where there was an over saturation in the late 90's early 2000's bringing a pay drop then a mass exodus but the people trained in those fields are still out there they just don't want to work in those fields for less than they made in the 90's(adjusting for inflation), the first link touched on that aspect a little but not enough(I'm in the IT field and have worked in manufacturing in the past before the unions and union pay levels were killed) 

The world, it seems, will be a lot quieter with less women. 

"In The Female Brain, published in 2006, Louann Brizendine, M.D. claimed that women say about 20,000 words a day, while men say about 7,000."

I'm not sure if I would be happy living in a world with less women. I would surely miss my female counterparts.

Edited by Alpaca
  • Author
26 minutes ago, Alpaca said:

The world, it seems, will be a lot quieter with less women. 

"In The Female Brain, published in 2006, Louann Brizendine, M.D. claimed that women say about 20,000 words a day, while men say about 7,000."

I'm not sure if I would be happy living in a world with less women. I would surely miss my female counterparts.

where I would love living in a world with fewer men lol

Just now, cyphorX said:

where I would love living in a world with fewer men lol

This is pretty interesting:

• Author
1 hour ago, Alpaca said:

This is pretty interesting:

LOL thats why I said 90% that's enough that's is there is enough of either sex that society could still function, and enough genetic diversity that future generations don't end up looking like the cast of "The hills have eyes". I know 90% sounds like alot but their are about 4 billion of either sex on the planet.  so even with 90% of men wiped our there would still be 400 million men on the planet, thats more men than what existed on the planet at any one time for most of human history prior to antibiotics.

Edited by cyphorX
5 minutes ago, cyphorX said:

LOL thats why I said 90% that's enough that's is there is enough of either sex that society could still function, and enough genetic diversity that future generations don't end up looking like the cast of "The hills have eyes". I know 90% sounds like alot but their are about 4 billion of either sex on the planet.  so even with 90% of men wiped our there would still be 400 million men on the planet, thats more men than what existed on the planet at any one time for most of human history.

The hills have eyes? I was thinking more along the lines of Chernobyl. 

A study conducted in Southern Guyana found that when men are in the minority, they prefer flings over long-term relationships. As the mating market and their place within it become more plentiful, men tend to reduce their mating effort and adapt their behavior to the needs of the limiting sex.

I assume that if there were a shortage of women, there would be more cases of sex trafficking.