Lack of Motivation - Where to Start

There have been three times in my life where I needed to lose a significant amount of weight. Each time, I did something different to accomplish this goal. The first time, I used Slim Fast and walked briskly during my lunch break every day with a co-worker. The second time, my husband and I worked together to eat right and exercise daily. The third time (three years ago), I lost 85 lbs by eating clean, watching my caloric intake, and walking 3.5 miles (briskly) per day, plus doing targeted exercises at home. I got down to my ideal weight all three times.

I am SO EXTREMELY disappointed in myself for gaining back most of the weight. Now, I am having problems finding the motivation to tackle this weight loss once again, plus, being older - it's going to be harder to drop the weight.  Part of my problem (I think?) is that I do not have support this time. In fact, I have to keep my weight loss goals under taps because I have two daughters with anorexia and I know enough not to talk dieting, weight loss, etc., in front of them, or even indicate that I am dieting or watching what I eat in any way. Therefore, I am completely on my own this time. I know this is a matter of me reaching deep down and just doing what I need to do. It's for my health, for crying out loud! I need to make myself accountable. I know this. I'm not stupid, so I don't know why I am not just DOING what I know I need to DO!!

I've tried some online groups that help hold you accountable. I guess it wasn't quite "in your face" enough for me to keep my attention. I thought maybe some people out here who are successful might give me some pointers that I have not already thought of. "Just do it" hasn't been working for me.....

Congratulations on your previous loss of weight. Wow, how awesome!

You're clearly really capable of meeting your weight loss goals.

It might seem overwhelming because you've already been through it before and have to start all over again from the beginning. So, the only thing I would suggest is to start tiny (mini goals) so you're not going to feel so overwhelmed?

For me, it wasn't something I did to motivate myself, I just had a "aha moment" and something clicked inside of me to get me going.

• Like 3

I use an on line platform for accountability.  It tracks calories & exercise.  Plus there are people to talk to on discussion boards like this & a wall feature like FB.  

I got a FitBit.  That helps except I call it my slugbit because mostly all I learn is how much I sit on my @$$.  

Maybe try smaller goals.  Right now in the online platform I use, I'm shooting for lose 10 pounds by Valentine's day.  I'm going to fall short.  I'm hoping I make it to 7 pounds lost.  Then I will get involved with lose 10 pounds by St. Patrick's Day.  Still unattainable but it's something to shoot for.  Realistically those small lose 10 pounds by ______ will get me to the 25 pounds I need to drop by summer.  

• Like 2
  • Author

Thank you both! I think I will start with mini-goals and work my way up. I should also probably dig out my fitbit and start wearing that again. I can do this!

• Like 4
littleblackheart

16 minutes ago, vla1120 said:

I can do this!

Absolutely!

Same boat here 🙂Actually got inspired to shift myself into gear by this very forum's straight talking 🙂.

It's been 4 weeks and going very well. I'm even coaching my friend on FB. 

I have a plan to drop all my pandemic weight and a bit more by the end of the summer, then stabilise the weight by October.

I am on a very low calory programme as no food initially is what works for me, then will gradually reintroduce healthy food in a controlled way until I get back to a normal diet.

We're on lockdown in the cold of winter here and a lot of stuff is closed but I invested in a home bike that my kids love too. A great investment so far.

Keep us updated on your progress!

• Like 2
  • Author
1 minute ago, littleblackheart said:

Keep us updated on your progress!

I will! Thanks and keep me updated, too!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, vla1120 said:

Thank you both! I think I will start with mini-goals and work my way up. I should also probably dig out my fitbit and start wearing that again. I can do this!

That's a great attitude to have.  Just don't get discouraged and win each tiny battle as you proceed.  Yes, YOU CAN DO IT..........[edited to remove brand slogans]

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
[edited to remove brand slogans]
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I've tried everything under the sun to lose weight and both times I was successful at losing everything is when I join a weight loss clinic that cost lots of money. It seems money is my biggest motivator, I don't like wasting money so paying them kept me moving. 

• Like 3