Got Fired for the Second time! I feel like a failure!

Let that be the hiring managers decision. A receptionists job will not prepare you for the next level. Unless the next level is admin asst.

Again, (just saw this) Magda is right on with this piece of advice. I completely agree.

Also Cosmo when you look in the classified section. Don't look under "Administrative/clerical" (not sure how they list it in the paper where you are) but look under Professional and/or Managerial.

Keep us updated! Hope some of this helps.

File clerk/Records management...same thing. A student would not have any problem performing those duties part-time or otherwise with a minimal amount of training.

Well, sorry to say but you're dead wrong on that. People haven't the faintest clue about the difficulty of records management. It's only when a critical document is lost and a company has to pay the big bucks that they finally twig that it takes a fair amount of skill to comprehend the subject matter of the records and then make sure that documents are stowed where they can be located when necessary. But it's ok - the vast majority of people have no idea how important the whole issue of managing records properly is. The misconception that just anyone can do them is what's caused millions in losses to the companies who follow that line of thought.

In the company I work for, the file clerks are part time students. Certainly not anything knowledgeable like records management.

Again, a very dumb idea unless someone else is classifying the documents and they just have to file them. But if they're responsible for classification, well good luck to your company.

Cosmo, you need to ensure your resume is error-free if you want to look like a college grad. For instance

strong organization, technical and interpersonal skills
should read 'strong organizationAL'
withdraws
should be 'withdrawALS'.

Yes, Outcast is right about the errors. Must fix those but like I said I'd take that whole part out anyway.

"Well, sorry to say but you're dead wrong on that. People haven't the faintest clue about the difficulty of records management. It's only when a critical document is lost and a company has to pay the big bucks that they finally twig that it takes a fair amount of skill to comprehend the subject matter of the records and then make sure that documents are stowed where they can be located when necessary. But it's ok - the vast majority of people have no idea how important the whole issue of managing records properly is. The misconception that just anyone can do them is what's caused millions in losses to the companies who follow that line of thought."

"Managing records" is another way of saying "filing." I'm not going to get into it with you. This isn't helping the OP at all. She's not interested in being a file clerk anyway.

Well, fact is that there's money and jobs to be had if you're a competent records manager. And I don't care if you 'get into it' since you really aren't acquainted with the field. You can lose the snotty tone, too.

• Author

I never heard of the title, "Record Management". Maybe there's confusion...perhaps if that job title exsists, maybe there's more duties associated with that the particular job. I have heard of "File Clerks". Maybe larger companies have Record Management clerks as supervisors to file clerks or maybe they help out in the HR/Acct depts? Unless now companies are using that title to bring people in, if you make the title sound more professional and attractive, the more resumes come in.

Who knows?

ANYWAY....HC/Magda/Outcast...

Any ideas on what industries I could look into?

Oh, by the way, I think I'm gonna try that "Temp-to-Perm" thing afterall.

I figure this, when you get hired for a permanent position, your automatically put on probabtion for 2-3 months anyway. And, HEY, if they don't like you, your GONE! They can hand your responsiblties to a few other people or they can just replace you. Same with temp to perm.

Records management is about the whole area of managing the important information that an organization needs to conduct its business. How do you think the filing system gets set up? What do you think happens if there's a fire or theft or flood? It's not 'just a file clerk' at all; it means you understand what the business is about and how to organize the tons and tons of paper that a business produces so that a single piece of paper can be found when it's needed - and these days electronic records are also included.

And if you're any good at it, you can make quite a good career at consulting and setting up records systems. The newer systems handle all manner of documents so you have to have some fairly high-end computer skills to work with them. So that in fact is a field you could look into.

I agree that temping is a good way to figure out what you like and, more importantly, what sort of company you want to work for. You'll find that every organization has its own personality and some really stink :laugh:

• Author

yeah...i definetly want to try the "temp-to-perm" thing.

Will that effect my unemployment though? Say I temp to 4 weeks somewhere and they decided to hire someone else for the position. Can I still receive my unemployment checks afterwards?

That could be a big reason for me not to do the "temping" thing. That's the only obstacle that lies ahead.

HokeyReligions

Just testing. I've been trying to post on this thread for two days and keep getting an error message.

well, this worked so lets see if the message I've been trying to post will take on 'edit'

What I meant by "small taste" is that you don't have a lot of years of experience. Training is great, but real experience in real situations is the best learning tool.

There are also Executive Receptionist positions too. The receptionist in our building is a woman in her 60's and she's been there for about 15 or so years. She does a lot more than sit at a desk and push papers or phone keys.

Three of my favorite jobs I got as temp-to-perm. It gave me a chance to try out the company and the company a chance to try me out.

The way it works is; you interview for the job just as if you were a direct hire. Once you are selected you go to work just as if you are a direct hire. If there is training you go to that. You participate in activities just as if you were a direct hire. The diffrerence is that your paycheck comes from the agency that placed you and more than likely, you don't have any benefits until you become a direct employee. Most temp agencies require a person to work X# of hours before a company can directly employ them without paying the employment fee; but many companies who are going to hire direct will pay the fee afte 30, 60, or 90 days of employment. It's in their budget to do that. That tells you that they don't just like you, but they they are confident enough that you are right for the job that they are paying a fee for you. They value you.

I've also had some real doozies as temp-to-perm and recently I had a horrible HORIBLE! experience with a company I contracted with directly (they paid me, but no benefits and I wasn't a direct employee) and I was sooo glad to get out of their. I had to threaten a law-suit to get the money I had coming and I won't use them as a reference. Similar situation to you -- I was not the first person in the position and most of the staff had been there less than a year -- people kept quitting and they kept letting people go and they have no clue it's THEM and not the people they lied to when they hired 'em!

HokeyReligions
"This reallty hit a sore spot with me. Receptionist is not the "bottom" and that is also a responsible job and a good receptionist makes a direct impact on the bottom line of a company. Not everyone can do it and I know that because I've hired (& fired) receptionists before. Its more than answering phones and taking messages (& there are lots of people who can't do that well--or at all). "

Hokey-

true, but what position is lower than a Receptionist. I don't mean this in a derogitory way, and I'm certainly not saying that a Receptionist doesn't have any responsiblities which make a don't make a contribution to the company, but not many positions are below a Receptionist.

File clerk, Mail services, Clerk, Jr. Secretary -- those are all positions I've seen which were leveled below Receptionist on the pay scale and experience level and, depending on the size of the company, they were not always part-time student positions.

The duties of a Receptionist is mainly answering calls, meeting & greeting vistors, filing, data entry, typing letters, and other duties as assigned. And that's not bad at all, it's a good starting point. When I was a Receptionist, I made sure I gave a courteous and professional impression on clients/visitors.

I was never given anything "deadline-oriented" because I was only a "Receptionist". I always thought if the receptionist was "moody" the comapny was bad and the employees were miserable there. Believe me, there's nothing worse than being a client/visitor/potential employee and meeting a miserable moody Receptionist at the front desk. You want smiles and enthusiam, showing what a great company this is

. Most of the receptionists I have worked with have had deadlines to meet on regular work or Ad Hoc work. In a small company the receptionist also processed AP.

I just seek a Receptionist position because my computer skills are not as up to par as they should be for further positions. I think it's a good start, personally. But of course, I'm open to anything that comes my way which I feel is a "good fit" and will benefit my skills and potential to the company in the long run.
A receptionist position is a good place to hone those computer skills and its a great place to build from - taking on more and more responsibilities as you learn. Promotions can be to an executive level secretary or executive receptionist.
yeah...i definetly want to try the "temp-to-perm" thing.

Will that effect my unemployment though? Say I temp to 4 weeks somewhere and they decided to hire someone else for the position. Can I still receive my unemployment checks afterwards?

That could be a big reason for me not to do the "temping" thing. That's the only obstacle that lies ahead.

The only way that you'd be able to still receive unemployment is if the agency can't get you more assignements for some reason but if they can keep you employed then you can't. If you turn down their offers for assignments, without a legitimate reason, then you can't collect unemployment either. Remember, once you sign up with them you are THEIR employee, not the companies where they send you. So when one assignment ends they need to get you another one. If they can't within a reasonable period of time (you might want to check with them on this) then you can.

Does that answer your question?

HokeyReligions
Yes, Outcast is right about the errors. Must fix those but like I said I'd take that whole part out anyway.

"Well, sorry to say but you're dead wrong on that. People haven't the faintest clue about the difficulty of records management. It's only when a critical document is lost and a company has to pay the big bucks that they finally twig that it takes a fair amount of skill to comprehend the subject matter of the records and then make sure that documents are stowed where they can be located when necessary. But it's ok - the vast majority of people have no idea how important the whole issue of managing records properly is. The misconception that just anyone can do them is what's caused millions in losses to the companies who follow that line of thought."

"Managing records" is another way of saying "filing." I'm not going to get into it with you. This isn't helping the OP at all. She's not interested in being a file clerk anyway.

Considering that records management often requires a degree in the field and some years of experience I wouldn't put a student in that position. I don't think you fully comprehend what that field entails and that you are confusing records management and records control with 'filing'. Two entirely different things. There are some very extensive and expensive software packages designed just for records management AND document control (which btw, is different from records management. I know because I've recently taken a position as a Document Controller -- which is a staff technical position and we have a senior admin to help us and she has a college degree and needs it to support the technical side)

As part of my job at the bank (not as a teller, I was in the corporate office) I designed a database for records management and that database (and the procedures I wrote for records management) had to meet certain SEC/Federal requirements and was adopted as a company standard. I reduced the audit time from two-weeks to 4 or 5 days because of this, and reduced the amount of hard-copies previously the first year because I reduced travel time and overtime and the audits received higher marks for accuracy and completeness than ever before. Even though I'm gone from that job, what I developed is still policy and in use. Let's see joe-blow off the street with no experience or training do that. But, unless I explain it, when I put "Records Management" on a resume I sometimes get the same ignorant response with people thinking "file clerk". That's fine though because I don't want to work for someone who hasn't a clue.

There are also federal laws governing records retention and distruction too -- that has to be researched and put in place inside company policy and without knowing that it could cost a company millions.

Then you should describe your duties as a Records Manager because many people put in that title when it should really be File Clerk.

HokeyReligions

continue calling in your unemployment every two weeks but when you are asked how many hours worked and what you earned - enter that. You are still on the unemployment rolls and if you have a period of time when you are not on an assignment then you will receive your unemployment check. You don't have to reapply if you continue to make however many contacts you are required to make and continue to call in on your scheduled day.

I've done that - I received unemployment for one week, got a temp job for six months - and kept calling every two weeks and kept a log of 3 contacts per week for unemployment to review (sometimes they ask for that so keep it up) and when the assignment ended I put in -0- hours worked that week and -0- money earned. I got my unemployment check a few days later.

Look online for your unemployment office -- the information is there so you know what to do.

HokeyReligions
Then you should describe your duties as a Records Manager because many people put in that title when it should really be File Clerk.

I couldn't because I wasn't the Records Manager -- He was in the main office in Montreal. I was the office manager and designed the system for the records in our office and presented it to the Records Manager, who worked with me to develop it for a company-wide distribution as policy, but it was my baby!

I put on my resume Document Controller once when I thought it was almost the same as Records Manager and I found it it was very different. The more I learned about it the more I realized how silly it was to put it on my resume and realzied why I never got any response when I talked with people about it -- it was obvious to the person interviewing me that I didn't know anything about it. I ended up researching it and had the opportunity to work with a Doc Controller which led me to work with a company to develop document control procedures before I ever actually did any document control.

Now I'm in a technical field doing the work and it is a very demanding and critical position. If I don't do the job right I could set back a project (or halt it) and cost several companies millions and millions of dollars. The people building platforms and rigs can't do anything until they have the engineering drawings and specs, etc. officially issued by me and I have to know what I'm doing - I have to recognize these documents and sign off on them as correct and there are many times I find errors or omissions or duplicates or Vendor errors on POs/RFQs/ and other procurement documents which I must rectify before I can issue them. There are currently five DCs on the project I am on and all of us end up working between 45 - 60 hours a week. I'm still learning some of the software that they use.

Considering that records management often requires a degree in the field and some years of experience I wouldn't put a student in that position. I don't think you fully comprehend what that field entails and that you are confusing records management and records control with 'filing'. Two entirely different things. There are some very extensive and expensive software packages designed just for records management AND document control (which btw, is different from records management. I know because I've recently taken a position as a Document Controller -- which is a staff technical position and we have a senior admin to help us and she has a college degree and needs it to support the technical side)

As part of my job at the bank (not as a teller, I was in the corporate office) I designed a database for records management and that database (and the procedures I wrote for records management) had to meet certain SEC/Federal requirements and was adopted as a company standard. I reduced the audit time from two-weeks to 4 or 5 days because of this, and reduced the amount of hard-copies previously the first year because I reduced travel time and overtime and the audits received higher marks for accuracy and completeness than ever before. Even though I'm gone from that job, what I developed is still policy and in use. Let's see joe-blow off the street with no experience or training do that. But, unless I explain it, when I put "Records Management" on a resume I sometimes get the same ignorant response with people thinking "file clerk". That's fine though because I don't want to work for someone who hasn't a clue.

There are also federal laws governing records retention and distruction too -- that has to be researched and put in place inside company policy and without knowing that it could cost a company millions.

Wow! Thanks for the details on this. Nice job you did there. - congratulations on your achievements. :)

Sounds like an interesting position to me...What kind of schooling does this require? I ask because sometimes I think about a career change. I'm good at what I do, very well paid, enjoy it 50% of the time, but the other 50% suffering from burn out.

• Author

all your advice is helpful, ladies!

Thanks!!!!:D

I'll continue job hunting.

ANY ideas on WHAT INDUSTRIES I would best fit into?

Please do not be so hard on yourself. Everything happens for a reason and I truly believe this and have proved it many times. During my career, I have had some devasting times including being let go from a job which I felt was unjustified. Today, I have the best job of all and couldnt be happier. My point is that I would not be here today if I had not gone through the bad times. And most of all, I am stronger for it. Hang in there, things do get better.:)

You have to go with your own interests. What are the sorts of things you enjoy doing the most? What is the first section you turn to in the paper? What do you collect? What do you watch on TV? All these things are clues to what interests you - follow them to the industries where they are found.

• Author
I beg to differ here. I had to get a degree to move into an Exec. Asst. position. It takes a LOT more than average computer/<a href="typing%20skills" onmouseover="window.status='typing skills'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">typing skills</a>. As an EA I was responsible for budgets, payroll, AP/AR, Project tracking, marketing, and depending on the department HR work too (benefits, background checks, etc.) and I often gave work to the department secretary and/or our clerks -- whom I supervised. I needed supervisory skills since I had several people who reported directly to me. I also negotiated with vendors and building managers and had input into leasing and contracts. I had signature authority for a certain amount and I had to know what was going on in the business. My ideas and suggestions were listened to and I was also on a steering committee for some management changes that were on the horizon. I was responsible for problem resoulution with clients and vendors and with designing file procedues, document control and other administrative responsibilities and I wrote (I mean authored not just typed) procedures that were implemented as policy.

EA are responsible for most of this, but the title "OFFICE MGR" best suites this. It seems in larger companies, OFFICE MGR's do all of that and the EA can be the secretary to the President or whichever Exec needs supoort.

There are many companies who throw that title out there thinking that its "just a secretary" but a true EA is much more than that. I had to be trusted with very confidential information (including knowing about major mergers that were in the works years in advance of public knowledge and if word leaked out it could have affected stock prices drastically and I would have been held just as responsible as the executives I assisted -- including having to serve jail time if it were found out that I was the one who leaked the information).

This reallty hit a sore spot with me. Receptionist is not the "bottom" and that is also a responsible job and a good receptionist makes a direct impact on the bottom line of a company. Not everyone can do it and I know that because I've hired (& fired) receptionists before. Its more than answering phones and taking messages (& there are lots of people who can't do that well--or at all).

Sometimes, sometimes not. It depends. One interview I went on requires someone with 2-3 yrs experience and an Associate's degree, "preferably a Bachelor's". Other Receptionist positions I have applied for will give me a courtesy call saying the job is too "junior" for me, or that I'm "overqualified". But some Receptionist positions do require more and the pay is decent too. I find the better ones are titled "Receptionist/Admin Asst". On the other hand, some Receptionist positions are the bottom and pay very low wages. My finace's cousin is a Receptionist at a good company. Yet she had no prior experience in an office and she only has a high school diploma. To be fair, it really depends on the company.

A good support staff is crucial to the success of large businesses. You can have the best, most expensive car with more bells and whistles and warranties than James Bond, but if you don't have a good set of tires supporting that car -- it's not going anywhere.

Hey! That's a really good analogy! One of those quotes I will always remember! :)

cosmogal, you have had a small taste of what it takes to be good in that position. Going through a temp agency is a great way to get lots of experience and generally the expectations of employers bringing on a temp is lower so you can really learn and shine!

Since I live in NY, most EA jobs are both secretarial and assisting with various depts of business, even conducting business! I think I'm certainly capable of managing this position, but I really feel maybe I could use 2-3 yrs more of experience. Even if it means being at the front desk and assisting various depts, it's experience in the right direction. The interview I went for pays a good salary, I just worry about the whole "i'm demanding" thing. But we'll see...maybe I'll find other things! Eventually something will work out.

And, if its money you are thinking about -- I tend to earn more than engineering designers/CADD operators and they have to have degrees and engineering experience. Even new engineering graduates who go into companies as engineers will typically earn less starting out than a good EA or AA. Finance majors too. I know because I processed their payroll in several different companies.

Some EA make big $$$ At my first job, the EA made in the 80's! But she certainly earned every penny of it!