Olfactory problems after Covid-19

So, I just recovered from Covid-19 but I still can’t smell anything. My sense of taste has returned but not my sense of smell. 

Can I retrain my brain to smell again if I buy essential oils and smell them every day? Has anyone else here had Covid and lost your sense of smell. What worked for you to get it to come back?

Since I’m middle aged, I was told that our sense of taste and smell diminish with age, so that I shouldn’t ‘t expect my sense of smell to even come back to what it was. That really depresses me. There has to be some procedure, or some medication or something, that can help me get my sense of smell back. 

Some will say it’s not a big deal, to lose a sense of smell but it is. Beyond the practical reason (not smell a gas leak or smoke from a fire in my apt bldg), I want my sense of smell back so that I can savor the aroma of flowers, different foods, etc. 

• Sad 1

I am glad you are on the mend.  

My colloquial answer is not upbeat.  

I know a few people who got taste & smell back in a few months.  Time helps. 

I know someone else who was sick in April who still hasn't gotten taste or smell back.  Her doctor said the longer it goes on, the less likely they will return.  

Hopefully yours will come back soon.  

• Author
2 hours ago, introverted1 said:

Toward the end of this article, there is some discussion of treatments.

Thanks introverted1. I’ll read the article. I just hope that the nerve cells regenerate in my nasal passage. I am eating foods that all taste the same — bland, no flavor. I use my neti pot and steam my face and even started predinose for my reactive airway which I guess is a common side effect of having a respiratory illness (why people wheeze after a viral respiratory illness). I thought the prednisone would stimulate my nose so i could smell, but nope, cant smell anything. 

• Author
1 hour ago, introverted1 said:

How are you doing, WC?

Hey there introverted1. I am retraining my nose everyday by smelling everything I have in my kitchen cabinets. I’ve even resorted to buying myself flowers to encourage my nasal passages to heal. 

Like, I smell vinegar: nada. I smell an orange: nada. I smell roses: nada. So, nada on the aroma front. Still. The doctor I saw in person recently told me that my nasal passages are still congested, so with any congestion, smell is not possible. I neti pot every day and use humidifiers in my apartment. I just want my smell-o-vision back. 

introverted1
15 minutes ago, Watercolors said:

Hey there introverted1. I am retraining my nose everyday by smelling everything I have in my kitchen cabinets. I’ve even resorted to buying myself flowers to encourage my nasal passages to heal. 

Like, I smell vinegar: nada. I smell an orange: nada. I smell roses: nada. So, nada on the aroma front. Still. The doctor I saw in person recently told me that my nasal passages are still congested, so with any congestion, smell is not possible. I neti pot every day and use humidifiers in my apartment. I just want my smell-o-vision back. 

Have you tried a nasal steroid to reduce inflammation?  Like Flonase (OTC)?

Edited by introverted1
Typo. I can typo 100 words a minute.
  • Author
1 minute ago, introverted1 said:

Have you tried a nasal steroid to reduce inflammation?  Like Flonase (OTC)?

I am scared to use a nasal steroid for the rebound effect of getting congestion from it. Otherwise, I’d try Flonase. I use a saline nasal spray and neti pot b/c it’s just distilled water and salt. 

introverted1
7 minutes ago, Watercolors said:

I am scared to use a nasal steroid for the rebound effect of getting congestion from it. Otherwise, I’d try Flonase. I use a saline nasal spray and neti pot b/c it’s just distilled water and salt. 

Might be worth a shot short-term since the thinking is that it's inflammation causing the loss of smell.  Maybe a 2-week course?  You know best. :)  I hope it resolves for you.

• Thanks 1