This pandemic has me worried about the future of humanity

I don't know how it is like in other countries but I was already cynical about people and this situation has me seriously worried about the future of this country. It has brought out the worst in us and god help us if we are ever in a situation where the lights go out and society really breaks down. I try to see the good in people but this just makes me want to move to some island with the people I love and care about and just be away from everything and everybody. This will eventually pass but I can't unsee some of the things I have seen over this past year.

• Like 3

I'm sorry it's been so awful for you. 

Australians pulled together in a way I've not seen in many years.  I give credit for it to our leaders and opposition who worked in a bi-partisan manner to keep us safe.  The bickering between parties stopped.  The messages from the top about how our lives would now be were firm and consistent.  The conspiracy theories didn't get off the ground.   Criticism from the people regarding Government's decisions have been minimal. Sure, there was a bit of panic buying and a handful of those who didn't want lock downs, but all in all, I think it's been a great result.  

Edited by basil67
  • Like 7
  • Author

It hasn't been awful for me. I am hunkered down with my favorite person in the world and it has actually strengthened our relationship. Tough times test a person's true character and she has passed with flying colors and so have most of our friends and family.

That being said I take a look at the outside world and it is downright frightening. In my younger years I used to run in some pretty sketchy circles and I saw many things but what I see now scares me even more. There is a certain honesty amongst some of the criminal element because I knew some of them were doing what they did to survive but to see regular everyday people just lose their humanity just scares me. People just don't care anymore and have lost the plot.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, basil67 said:

Australians pulled together in a way I've not seen in many years.  I give credit for it to our leaders and opposition who worked in a bi-partisan manner to keep us safe.  The bickering between parties stopped.  The messages from the top about how our lives would now be were firm and consistent.  The conspiracy theories didn't get off the ground.   Criticism from the people regarding Government's decisions have been minimal. Sure, there was a bit of panic buying and a handful of those who didn't want lock downs, but all in all, I think it's been a great result.  

I would agree that I've seen far more community spirit and positive aspects of people than negatives during this period.  Perhaps living in a relatively small city helps.  I've also been majorly impressed by the approach of young people who have made so many sacrifices in terms of their own social lives.  I've heard people complain about Generation Z, and I don't understand it at all.  What I've seen of this upcoming generation makes me feel more optimistic than I've been for quite some time.  Not necessarily with regard to own life, but with regard to humanity generally.

Edited by Libby1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Ruby Slippers

The pandemic has really shone a spotlight on America's decline. It was apparent before, but became much more obvious this year. Just another big empire that's squandered its many blessings and let greed, corruption, and vice take over.

I just try to make the best of my life and be an uplifter to friends, family, and people who are struggling. There's not much more one can do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're now about a year into the -19 pandemic since it began about this time in 2019 and it appears there's no end in sight. Main surprise for myself has been the marked lack of civil unrest and/or violence related to the virus and governmental action, and zero assassinations. Perhaps that bodes well for a positive outcome. Having been through a number of pandemics since the 1950's, this is IMO by far the most disruptive to society and the economy, in my lifetime anyway. Hope we can find our way through it.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, basil67 said:

That's one view, I see on Sky News Aus, a LOT of criticism of the govt and handling...?

1 hour ago, dangerous said:

That's one view, I see on Sky News Aus, a LOT of criticism of the govt and handling...?

What's your lived experience of Australia during the pandemic?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Woggle said:

to see regular everyday people just lose their humanity just scares me. People just don't care anymore and have lost the plot.

I think people you are talking about were probably already uncaring, we've just seen a high profile of the worst of them in US media recently; people overseas hopefully don't think we all 'act out' like spoiled children in the US! 

The hospital workers and supermarket workers have done a fabulous job. 'Look to the helpers' ( Leonora Montgomery ) in any crisis, that's where hope for the future lies.

What has become apparent is how extreme in terms of pro-business and profit our government has become in recent years, even when it costs a lot of lives , also how unprepared we were for a national emergency. Maybe these things will improve in 2021. Well they couldn't have been much worse...

I'm a hopeful soul @Woggle Nil desperandum!

This image went viral over Thanksgiving https://www.chron.com/coronavirus/article/Houston-ICU-doctor-hugs-covid-patient-15763101.php

• Like 5
18 hours ago, Woggle said:

if we are ever in a situation where the lights go out and society really breaks down

That's always been true, though. For example, there apparently IS no back up plan for e.g., something like a global Carrington Event. In the event of something like that it will probably take less than 6 months for the US to resemble Somalia, but probably with cannibalism and even less running water, at least for a while. Resets do occasionally occur, unfortunately for those caught up in them.

2 hours ago, carhill said:

it appears there's no end in sight

I like your upbeat tone (the rest of your post). Things could change for the worse suddenly, I'm HOPING they won't.

For me, the vaccines represent a genuine light at the end of the tunnel, particularly given how effective they apparently are. I intend to start going back to gyms, bars, and restaurants soon after I get one. (I'll wear a cloth mask if they ask, no big deal). Those that could survive will get my business.

For me that will start normalization. I do get the not everyone is as keen on vaccines as I am. One thing the gov't/health authorities probably SHOULDN'T do is (attempt to) force people to take it. HUGE mistake IMO.

Edited by mark clemson
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, basil67 said:

What's your lived experience of Australia during the pandemic?

I'm in Queensland and we're mostly grateful that our gov kept the borders closed, (reopened today :) ). No real disruption to mine or friends lives, except for a few minutes where we thought we'd never own a roll of loo paper again.  Only real negative impact for me has been the first world problem of not being able to go OS for the annual holiday and interstate friends haven't been able to visit.  I'm also lucky that it didn't impact my job or income at all, but for Queensland's big tourism operators it's been a disaster.  Friends down in Victoria have a completely different story, some think their state gov handled it well, others think it was a catastrophe. I have a couple of friends down there who have done it really hard, one in particular has spent the best part of 10 months with no real life face-to-face interaction except for when she went into shops, so for a while I was concerned about her mental state and worried she might end up on the front page after an assassination attempt on their Premier.  Personally I think that, given the sudden onset and unknown nature of it, and that parts of Aus had just been devastated by horrific bushfires, and how other world leaders failed to act, Australia has come through with flying colours. Most of us complied with what was asked of us and pulled together towards the common goal and the result is that we're open for Christmas  :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Remember your Gramsci? "The old is dying and the new struggles to be born; now is the time of monsters." I have thought of that quote a lot these days. Gramsci also said he was a pessimist by intellect, but an optimist by sheer force of will, too.

I have gone through some really dark times during this pandemic (and the past four years really), but over the past month or so I've become increasingly optimistic. I have seen everyone from my Bill Buckley conservative parents to formerly "Blue Lives Matter"-type coworkers flat-out state they think capitalism and the system is the problem, not partisanship. Even mainstream publications like The Economist are questioning the morality of billionaires living one state over from mile-long lines for food pantries. Volunteers for our local mutual aid groups are through the roof. More people than ever are acknowledging that we are all we have, that we all want what's best for our families, and our continued survival on this planet depends on working together. 

The status quo won't hold. Yes, things will get worse first. Yes, a lot of people will be hurt. But now is the time to think big and dream bigger, to stand up for our families and neighbors and communities, to create something better and more enduring that honors everyone's dignity and makes life better for us all. Will yourself to optimism - we are all we have.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, basil67 said:

I'm not sure I fully agree re messages from government - the federal government has been very hands off through the whole ordeal and essentially left it to the states to build their own responses, which resulted in a patchwork of border closures and differing approaches. The good performance of Queensland, WA and Tasmania essentially cornered Victoria into eliminating the virus at any cost despite what is being said outwardly - which Victoria has done through an extended lockdown, to the massive detriment of the economy (although that is now springing back pretty well) and mental health of the population. I'm still not right after the lockdown, and probably will have damage to my emotional health for a very long time - and there are a few stories of Victorians being shocked when they enter a crowded restaurant in Sydney. Nonetheless I still am glad we are in the situation where we haven't had a new case in over 30 days. An amazing achievement with a huge cost.

6 hours ago, dangerous said:

I'm not sure many would suggest Sky News is representative of views of the general population... they will find a way to criticise anything.

12 minutes ago, lana-banana said:

The status quo won't hold.

That reminds me of the poem by Yeats, The Second Coming, the lines which read:

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;

Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere   

The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

The best lack all conviction, while the worst   

Are full of passionate intensity.

He wrote it following the 1918 pandemic, when his wife almost died, she was pregnant and there was a high rate of mortality amongst pregnant women with that flu strain.

How history repeats, the lessons barely heeded!

• Like 2
  • Author

The status quo will break but will there be something better to replace it with? I am not sure of that answer.

58 minutes ago, snowboy91 said:

I'm not sure I fully agree re messages from government - the federal government has been very hands off through the whole ordeal and essentially left it to the states to build their own responses, which resulted in a patchwork of border closures and differing approaches. The good performance of Queensland, WA and Tasmania essentially cornered Victoria into eliminating the virus at any cost despite what is being said outwardly - which Victoria has done through an extended lockdown, to the massive detriment of the economy (although that is now springing back pretty well) and mental health of the population. I'm still not right after the lockdown, and probably will have damage to my emotional health for a very long time - and there are a few stories of Victorians being shocked when they enter a crowded restaurant in Sydney. Nonetheless I still am glad we are in the situation where we haven't had a new case in over 30 days. An amazing achievement with a huge cost.

I'm not sure many would suggest Sky News is representative of views of the general population... they will find a way to criticise anything.

You're right that the federal gov't did take a fairly hands off approach.  But to their credit, they took action to close our borders as soon as we realised this was something very serious.  And thankfully, they didn't bicker with the states.   I guess the thing I'm most thankful for was the bipartisan support for whatever needs to be done.   Yes, the cost will be high to the emotional health and employment for many will be shocking.   The Victorian people were simply amazing in their response to the second wave.  And I'm not surprised your mental health is still struggling after such a lockdown though.  Is there anything which makes you feel better?  

1 hour ago, Woggle said:

The status quo will break but will there be something better to replace it with? I am not sure of that answer.

I am. The majority will get up, keep house, raise children, feed people, work and care. Plan and write. Same as always. 

That's survival.

Eternal Sunshine
12 hours ago, snowboy91 said:

Another Victorian here. I had the same experience. After 112 days of the lockdown, my mental health was going downhill fast. I am naturally and introvert and loner so in theory I should have been fine. I slipped into depression and was just sleeping as much as I could most days. For the last month, I didn't use 1 hour of allowed exercise outside. Then I started having panic attacks. I really don't think I could have coped if stage 4 lockdown was extended by even a couple of weeks.

I have slowly gotten back to normal after the lockdown has lifted but am still not 100%. Interestingly for me, there were unexpected benefits. When I went to see a doctor about panic attacks, doctor wanted to rule out any physical causes. After some tests, there was an unexpected finding (unrelated to panic attacks) and I am having surgery for it next week. Looks like it was caught early but since it wasn't causing any symptoms, it would have gone undetected if it wasn't for the lockdown...

Overall, I resent other states and federal gvt for leaving Victorians in the cold and being so quick to shut the borders. Lot of them were making fun of Victorians while their life went on unhindered, having no empathy for what we were going through. I feel a lot closer to other Victorians but COVID made me realize that Australia is just a bunch of states sharing the same physical location. It didn't feel like we are a united country and that's something I will never forget.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

I had post partum anxiety and psychosis. I had recently relocated to Western Australia, and NEEDED my mum or my husband's family with me to help me care for our baby. 

I was unable to safely care for her due to lack of physical energy. I NEEDED someone to come help. 

I am disgusted they would not even let ONE immediate family member fly over to live with me, so I could care for my child and have the faculties to actually call and receive mental health care.. 

Letting ONE immediate family member cross the border, if they are under strict quarantine - is better than losing a child to foster care cos I needed a brief period of direct family assistance and was not permitted a simple basic human need, when my health declined rapidly and unexpectedly. 

My husband couldn't afford to just quit his job and care for me.

I am lucky to be alive. I thankfully got family over ASAP but only after borders opened.

I was so exhausted due to thyroid and hormonal and mental health rapid declines that I couldn't toilet alone.  Yet held on cos ultimately our baby wasn't at risk and was better off with me and her father than some bloody stranger in the system due to us not affording me some temporary respite for me to address my medical issues and failing mental health.

This awful stuff happening doesn't negate nor strengthen my appreciation (or lack thereof) for humanity. Terrible people will be terrible people. Nice people continue to help others. 

I was invited over to spend Christmas with the next door neighbours family cos I was all alone without family and in an awful mental state. My husband works away a few nights a week. So the people who are already nice are certainly doing their part to aid others, like myself- who are mentally not coping being forced to be isolated with absolutely no family help due to border restrictions being too ridiculously strict so as to ban even urgent immediate family members from assisting each other during severe mental health crisis :(

I am still and my husband's is still severely traumatised by my mental state when my family was banned from visiting as usual when I was between treatments.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Removed political commentary, language.
Ruby Slippers
1 hour ago, Leigh 87 said:

I am still and my husband's is still severely traumatised by my mental state when my family was banned from visiting as usual when I was between treatments.

I'm sorry you had to go through that, @Leigh 87. One of my mother's sisters died alone in the hospital. She didn't have Covid, but they still wouldn't let anyone visit or be with her. Inhumane and heartbreaking.

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...
pepperbird2

On 12/2/2020 at 11:07 AM, Eternal Sunshine said:

Another Victorian here. I had the same experience. After 112 days of the lockdown, my mental health was going downhill fast. I am naturally and introvert and loner so in theory I should have been fine. I slipped into depression and was just sleeping as much as I could most days. For the last month, I didn't use 1 hour of allowed exercise outside. Then I started having panic attacks. I really don't think I could have coped if stage 4 lockdown was extended by even a couple of weeks.

I have slowly gotten back to normal after the lockdown has lifted but am still not 100%. Interestingly for me, there were unexpected benefits. When I went to see a doctor about panic attacks, doctor wanted to rule out any physical causes. After some tests, there was an unexpected finding (unrelated to panic attacks) and I am having surgery for it next week. Looks like it was caught early but since it wasn't causing any symptoms, it would have gone undetected if it wasn't for the lockdown...

Overall, I resent other states and federal gvt for leaving Victorians in the cold and being so quick to shut the borders. Lot of them were making fun of Victorians while their life went on unhindered, having no empathy for what we were going through. I feel a lot closer to other Victorians but COVID made me realize that Australia is just a bunch of states sharing the same physical location. It didn't feel like we are a united country and that's something I will never forget.

It's the same here in Canada. I think that is in a a large part because we are a really big country. At the best of times, there's a sense of disconnect between the west, Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes, not to mention the northern territories and provinces.

While we haven't had all that many cases and very few covid deaths in my province, we were still hit hard by other crises. We lived through the country's worst mass shooting incident right in the middle of a lock down, and it was really hard. At least 21 people were killed, and the families were denied the ability to grieve in what would be normal way for here.  Some people here still "wake" the dead at home, and large gatheirngs and shows of community support are the norm. That couldn't happen, and it made it even harder for the the families impacted to deal with it all.