Nerve Stroking

major_merrick

I guess that's what it is called.  I'm referring to a very light massage technique. 

A bit of background.  I'm working with a way to calm down my husband's Wife #1.  She has panic attacks and other stress issues, and when it happens she often comes to me to resolve it.  I've found that having her lay in my lap while I touch her is fairly effective.  By using my fingers very lightly (like just brushing her skin) I can achieve a calming effect.  Especially by touching her back and the palms of her hands 

Anybody have experience doing something similar? Any idea if there are pressure points or nerve spots on the body that work well for this kind of calming technique?

I'm not sure about specific pressure points, although I'm sure they exist.  

The guy I'm involved with has anxiety issues, and one of the things I do that he says helps bring relief is to lightly squeeze the front and top of his head and stroke his temples.  I also, probably similar to what you do, lightly stroke his arms and back.  I think loving touch in general is calming.  You've probably seen that with your babies.  

• Author
major_merrick

@basil67 We are a lot closer than we used to be.  Since I stopped working, we are home together all day.  She chooses to sleep next to me at night too, which is a change.

I am focusing on her a lot because this year has been really stressful for her.  She's had seizures too, when she had gone for a couple of years without having any.  I have found that touch mitigates the seizures and panic attacks somewhat, but I'm unsure of how/why.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Ruby Slippers

Human touch is incredibly healing. I once fractured my lower back and had to stay with my parents for 2 months before I went to Europe to study abroad. I was in a lot of pain and could hardly walk for the first few weeks. My mom would put her hand on my lower back and just leave it there. Anything more than that hurt. Just the simple power of touch was very healing.

In college, I worked as a substitute day care teacher for a while. Every day when it was naptime for the little kids, a number of them would squirm around and wait their turn till I'd come lie down next to them and pat/rub their back till they drifted off. It was amazing how quickly they'd calm down and get drowsy as soon as I applied this simple touch.

I'm good at giving massages. I have an intuitive sense of where the tension and pain are and how to work it out. Every boyfriend I've had is moaning and groaning within 5 minutes of me beginning a massage. Even just touching each other is healing. I loved how my last boyfriend would often wake me up by cuddling me and rubbing my body all over for 10 minutes or so. It was the best way to start the day.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

This is interesting. I regularly get Swedish massage. The moments of lighter touch actually tickle a bit. I find the high pressure moves to be more calming. I'm not into Reiki "energy massage" but it may be something for her to look into. Apologies to Reiki folks if I said that improperly. It sounds like you 3 have a really nice relationship. I hope it continues on that way forever.