Does anyone know how to use an elliptical, I think I am using it wrong?

+1 on what Ruby said. Going heavy will burn a crap ton of fat. If you dont know where to start - google 5x5. Super easy to grasp and you'll quickly build good form. All to need of access to a barbell/weights/rack. Any decent rec center should have a few. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, ironpony said:

Oh okay.  Do the weights burn fat in only the muscles you are working out, or all over?

All over. It is a metabolic thing. Especially if you strength train (heavier weight, fewer reps). That 5x5 program is strength training. I know - it is weird - you might not even break a sweat when you lift.  Basically, sustained strength training puts your body in a muscle building mode which jacks up your metabolism. Higher your metabolism, the more calories and fat you burn. Studies have shown that your metabolism will stay elevated up to 36 hours after a workout. So you essentially burn calories by sitting on your ass. Lol.

Cardio on the other hand doesn't cause this elevated metabolic level post-workout. So you'll burn more calories during your workout with cardio but it stops after the workout ends.

Plus with strength training you'll get stronger which is nice from an aesthetic standpoint but also really important for maintaining good overall health. 

Edited by Mrin
  • Like 1
  • Author

Oh okay.  But also, if the weights burn out more fat, compared to working out your heart though, that cardio workout is still important though, isn't it?

Cardio is important for heart/cardiovascular health. From a search: "Improving cardiovascular fitness can reduce your risk of developing heart disease by increasing the efficiency of your heart, lungs, and blood vessels. The easier it is to pump blood through your body, the less taxing it is on your heart."

53 minutes ago, Ruby Slippers said:

Cardio is important for heart/cardiovascular health. From a search: "Improving cardiovascular fitness can reduce your risk of developing heart disease by increasing the efficiency of your heart, lungs, and blood vessels. The easier it is to pump blood through your body, the less taxing it is on your heart."

Yeah I just work cardio in on my rest days. Definitely don't mix the two if you're looking for gainz though... Diesel! Yuge! *Slaps bicep* sorry had to bro out

• Like 1

Not me. I'm a typical female in that respect - no interest in being "big," just trim and sculpted. But I know most men like to get bigger.

Edited by Ruby Slippers
55 minutes ago, Ruby Slippers said:

Not me. I'm a typical female in that respect - no interest in being "big," just trim and sculpted. But I know most men like to get bigger.

I hear you. So do you go heavy low rep or lighter high rep (hypertrophy)?

I do heavy-ish (for me) and moderate reps mostly, so somewhere in the middle. I'd like to try increasing the weight as I develop more strength, but I'd need more weights for that, thinking about buying some heavier weights for home. I get a very good challenge, but could push it more. I tried a bit heavier at the gym, where they have all the equipment.

Ask an employee at the gym to show you how to use the elliptical.

Or otherwise, just run on the treadmill if you feel it gives you a better workout.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Oh okay.  Well I can't use the treadmill anymore, because it's put too much wear and tear on my knees, and the doctor told me to get off of it.  The doctor doesn't know much about alternate ways to execise the heart though.

The problem with all these cardio exercises, is that they all involve having to go through the knees, in order to get to the heart, and the doctor says my knees have too much wear and tear on them to continue with cardio work outs.

So is there a way to exercise the heart, without having to go through the knees?  It was suggested that I use a skipping rope but I tried that and that is even worse on the knees.  Is there a way to exercise the heart without having to go through the knees at all?

You are better off using the public swimming pool at a YWCA to build your cardio and your muscle strength. At the YWCA, you have access to water weights of various sizes that you can use under water. I use them for physical therapy right now and believe me, I'm exhausted after my 40 minutes of using water weights under water to build strength after my car accident. Also, I use the YWCA's ankle weights that are also available to pool users.

When professional athletes get injured, they use the pool to recondition their muscles. Water is excellent physical therapy as its easy on the joints and muscles.

Forget the elliptical. You can easily injure yourself using such a machine like that. Better yet, use a rowing machine. That will quickly build your upper body strength and also strengthen your core muscles in your upper and lower back, so your torso will get conditioned as well your abdominal muscles.

Edited by Watercolors
  • Like 1
  • Author

Oh okay, but I don't want to have to pay to use a swimming pool everyday, especially when they are not open at the best hours for me, with my job and all.  Is there a way to good cardio exercise without having to rely on a public facility to do it?

I can try a rowing machine.  I am also doing a lot of jogging now, but my lungs hurt from all the cold air outside.  It seems that no matter how warm I dress my lungs still hurt.  And the more layers I put on, the harder it is to jog as well of course.  Is there a way to jog and dress warm that actually works, so the air isn't so cold to breath, when breathing hard?