gardening during covid-19

Ok. reminds me of this:

Fugu

The Japanese delicacy fugu, or blowfish, is so poisonous that the smallest mistake in its preparation could be fatal. But Tokyo's city government is planning to ease restrictions that allow only highly trained and licensed chefs to serve the dish.

pepperbird2
15 hours ago, glows said:

I eat dandelions. No nettles. 

Fiddleheads are delicious! 

Just be careful to harvest the right kind. Bracken fern fiddleheads can be dangerous.

• Like 1

Well, we built a new home this past year and I’m super excited to get out there this spring and start planting!! It is literally a blank slate.

But, the thing that has gotten me through these last few months has been houseplants!! I have never ready had a home with big windows and bright, indirect light so I’ve been slowly expanding my “indoor garden.” I honestly go to the grocery store and the garden centre nearby - it is my “break” during the workday. My partner laughs at me because I’ve spent my evenings searching new houseplants and learning how to care for these plants. 

I’m about to turn my attention to the outdoor garden...

• Like 3

I've been spending the sunny warmer days browsing the local garden centers too, it's a great way to take a break.  I won't have my new house and yard for another month, but it's fun to plan!

• Like 3

^Love this. 

I just found two local garden shoppes close by and I am so thrilled. I like the garden centers for bulk stuff but today came home with boxes of house plants direct from the greenhouses/growers. In my last house a lot of our windows were north and east facing. My house now has plenty of light indoors coming from the west and the garden is on the west side with a lot of ocean breeze. I cannot even explain the joy.

• Like 4

The grow light seems to be helping my seedlings. :) I just need to get a lot more started now, and hope that they grow faster than those currently under the lights. I'd started them a couple of weeks before they finally started to show. 

• Like 1
pepperbird2
On 4/16/2021 at 6:57 PM, BaileyB said:

Well, we built a new home this past year and I’m super excited to get out there this spring and start planting!! It is literally a blank slate.

But, the thing that has gotten me through these last few months has been houseplants!! I have never ready had a home with big windows and bright, indirect light so I’ve been slowly expanding my “indoor garden.” I honestly go to the grocery store and the garden centre nearby - it is my “break” during the workday. My partner laughs at me because I’ve spent my evenings searching new houseplants and learning how to care for these plants. 

I’m about to turn my attention to the outdoor garden...

The grocery store near me sells houseplants, and they have started putting the ones that aren't doing well aside for me. They give them to me to take home and nurse back to health. Otherwise, they'd just be thrown away.
If you've ever seen the britcom 'Keeping Up Appearances' where Hyacinth throws her "outdoors indoors luxury barbecue" you'll know what my living room looks like. I'm giving Elvis's jungle room a run for its money, lol.

• Like 1
pepperbird2
On 4/16/2021 at 10:11 PM, FMW said:

I've been spending the sunny warmer days browsing the local garden centers too, it's a great way to take a break.  I won't have my new house and yard for another month, but it's fun to plan!

Do you "convert" some of your annuals into houseplants? I've had good luck with that.

In the past when I had a yard and had plants in pots outside I would sometimes bring them in for the winter.  But probably because of the types I had chosen, they didn't work out too well inside.  I do however have a lot of traditional houseplants, several large ones.  I enjoy the feeling of having a bit of the outside to enjoy inside.  

• Like 1