Care of Society's Seniors

In Ontario, the military was called in to assist at some care homes during the outbreak, and from what I understand, a pretty scathing report has been released about the conditions they encountered people living in.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/military-long-term-care-home-report-covid-ontario-1.5585844

That was a few weeks ago. A guy my husband used to serve with was one of the CF members who was called in to help, and he said the reports don't go far enough.

Hopefully, some good will come of this and  they'll be some concrete action taken to create change. At the very least, it should draw attention to how society treats some of it's most vulnerable- adults living in residential care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
major_merrick

Around here, it is common knowledge that anybody who cares about their aging relatives doesn't put them in an old folks' home.  My in-laws will live with us once they can't live by themselves.  Its just the decent thing to do, and the most logical.  "If you want the job done right, do it yourself."  Care for the elderly should be a family issue more than a whole-society issue. 

Edited by major_merrick
  • Like 4

I am firm in my believe that residential care for vulnerable people should be restricted to NFP agencies.  Too much money is being skimmed off for profit while vulnerable people are being treated deplorably.  

• Like 1

Those nursing homes don't really make too much money due to having to take a certain amount who pay less or can't pay, and then they can't pay much for the staff and often only have one nurse and a doctor who comes in occasionally.  IMO, it should be all nurses/doctors, but no one would be able to afford it.  

Nursing homes are a death sentence right now.  And assisted living where you must go to the cafeteria.  The spate of lawsuits after all this will likely shut a bunch of them down.  Thing is no one person can care for someone who has to be lifted or turned by themself.  

• Like 2
  • Author
On 6/28/2020 at 1:30 AM, major_merrick said:

Around here, it is common knowledge that anybody who cares about their aging relatives doesn't put them in an old folks' home.  My in-laws will live with us once they can't live by themselves.  Its just the decent thing to do, and the most logical.  "If you want the job done right, do it yourself."  Care for the elderly should be a family issue more than a whole-society issue. 

I agree, to an extent.
My mom used to be a nurse in a nursing home ( guest home, they call it here), and it was actually a decent place. It had been started as a Catholic Charity, and some nuns were still working there. Most of the guests had dementia or altimeters, and couldn't be cared for at home. Some had no family left, and she'd spend extra time them with them so they wouldn't be alone. She'd take us in sometimes too so we could keep the guests company.

All that being said, if I thought my son would have to go into care ( he's autistic and not able to be on his own) because I would no longer be able to be there for him. unless there are major changes, I would take him with me. I know how that sounds, but it would be better than living a tortured life alone in a care home.

• Like 1
  • Author
7 hours ago, preraph said:

Those nursing homes don't really make too much money due to having to take a certain amount who pay less or can't pay, and then they can't pay much for the staff and often only have one nurse and a doctor who comes in occasionally.  IMO, it should be all nurses/doctors, but no one would be able to afford it.  

Nursing homes are a death sentence right now.  And assisted living where you must go to the cafeteria.  The spate of lawsuits after all this will likely shut a bunch of them down.  Thing is no one person can care for someone who has to be lifted or turned by themself.  

here, it's an issue of funding. much of the cost of "basic" senior residential care is funded by the provincial/ federal governments. For a variety of reasons costs are going up, but the funding isn't keeping par.

In a lot of cases, if someone needs to live in a nursing home and are going there right from the hospital, they will end up whatever facility has a bed available within a certain distance. The problem is that either by poor planning or outright design, there's never enough beds, so people end up staying in the hospital waiting.

• Like 1

Here I think most people would rather be in the hospital than a nursing home because at least there you get care.

The nursing homes I work with are pretty good overall, I just get frustrated that they could be so much more! The technology exists.

amaysngrace

Nursing homes can be really sad but friends of mine have his mom in a really nice place.  She complains when her filet isn’t cooked right and her son complains it’s like the only old age home that didn’t get corona.