I was at a physician's office this morning for the first time in years. As a matter of course, they gave me the swab test. I'd seen 'something, somewhere' that said it hurt. Nope. Just like the technician/nurse handling the swab suggested, it tickled ... literally, and I'm usually not ticklish. I suppose it may vary with whoever is doing the test. It's certainly possible to jamb that swap up the patient's nose hard and deep enough that it would hurt. Same idea as a lousy phlebotomist who can't find a vein.

Chatting with the physician, another cranky old Boomer with whom I get along wonderfully, he told me that the swab test is for antigen and that the patient's DNA is processed to enhance the virus' signature. Interesting stuff!

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Like 3

It probably depends how little your nose is.  Mine was irritating and I sneezed, but it didn't hurt.  Glad you got tested.  Well, they had me do my own, so that should make a difference.  Another person can't tell how far they are.  

• 2 weeks later...
mrs rubble

I was taught how to collect these swabs many years ago by a doctor who used to request whopping cough tests regularly and she told me that when the patient gags you know you've hit the right spot. Now days I'm doing covid testing, we have 3 different methods of testing for the antigen, one of the methods tests for covid in 52mins, the other metheds we use take a couple of hours.

• Like 2

I've been tested twice.  I swear that swab was in high enough to rub brain matter 😬

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Rockdad said:

I've been tested twice.  I swear that swab was in high enough to rub brain matter 😬

Yes, me too. Guess we are kind of soft. (But i doubt it)

4 hours ago, Rockdad said:

3 hours ago, Haydn said:

Yes, me too. Guess we are kind of soft. (But i doubt it)

Ergh, I'm squeamish as hell, and cringing just thinking about it. I saw a video in April, of a woman being tested, and I felt sick. 

amaysngrace

I didn’t think it was so bad but liked having them draw blood for the antibodies test better if that means anything.  

The inside of my nose felt raw for a few days though.  Like I could feel where the swab was even though it wasn’t there anymore.  That was kind of strange.

3 minutes ago, amaysngrace said:

The inside of my nose felt raw for a few days though.  Like I could feel where the swab was even though it wasn’t there anymore.

A graze, a bruise or a cut produced by the swab

• Thanks 1