Favorite Cosmetics

Urban Decay Naked palette (OG that is now sadly discontinued)

Tarte Toasted palette (perfect travel palette)

Smashbox photo finish 24 hour eyeshadow primer

Kat Von D Tattoo eyeliner (holy grail)

MAC lipstick in Craving

Shiseido eyelash curler

• Like 2

I'm not big on beauty stuff but I enjoy using Simple's skin care stuff and Kat Von D's make-up is sweet. I've had the same foundation for well over a year (bearing in mind I don't wear make-up every day) and it has a really great flawless looking finish. I'd really like to branch out into using Nyx or Urban Decay, but I'm happy with Kat for now. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
Ruby Slippers

I haven't worn makeup in months but generally do "the natural look" when I do.

I've recently discovered The Ordinary, which is an amazing line of clinical-grade skin care products for drugstore or cheaper prices. The guy who founded the company completely shook up the (ridiculously overpriced) luxury skin care industry, pointing out how so many companies are charging exorbitant prices for chemical blends that cost very little to make, with all the money they spend on advertising and models. This company does none of that - just direct, pure information and education on what the products do. I'm experimenting with some of them and my skin has been radiant and glowing.

Edited by Ruby Slippers
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Author
Cookiesandough

My beloved thread. Thank you all so much for the recs. 

The Ordinary  sounds really neat. I found some make up like that I’ve been meaning to try by a brand called Fat and the Moon. The packaging is so dope. 

I have a few updates/ changes to my arsenal

—I used to not like Nars Laguna bronzer, but it has grown on me and I actually love this. It  complements my olive skin tone. 

—Glossier Haloscope highlighter in quartz. Omgosh!!! I love this stuff. Gives my skin the most lit-from-within glow. Totally get the hype. 

—I love the new matte palette by Mario G/make up by Mario. It’s the perfect naturals/nudes. It’s caused me to throw out my palette that smells like chocolate. It’s that good. 

— Cerave cream is a great, cheap moisturizer

—My signature scent will forever be a Viktor and Rolf flowerbomb(it just reminds me of candy, Barbie doll hair, and everything good about my childhood), but I actually like this Victoria’s Secret Pink body spray in Beach Flower. Usually those cheap VS perfumes have 0 staying power or work with my chem, but this one is yummy

• Like 1
Ruby Slippers

I wore makeup yesterday for a video team meeting, where a coworker and I dressed up. It was a hot pink and neon green look with lots of glitter. I'll be trying to clean off the glitter from here and there for at least a week :D

I'm still not wearing makeup day to day, but I'm loving The Ordinary skin care, especially the glycolic acid toner, an alpha hydroxy acid exfoliant that really gives you that glow. It's like 1/4 the price of competing products that don't even work as well, aren't as concentrated. I've also been doing the "double cleanse" method, where you wash your face with an oil-based cleanser, then wash it again with a water-based cleanser. It gets your skin squeaky clean and ready to absorb all the good toners and hydrators. Their AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution is also awesome. Cheap and very effective for a homemade peel, leaves your skin feeling baby soft and smooth.

I've also been trying out small sizes of different body washes I'd been wanting to try for a long time. Most of them are overpriced and meh, in my opinion, but I love the Sol de Janeiro Brazilian 4 Play Moisturizing Shower Cream-Gel. Smells amazing, a beachy sweet scent, very moisturizing. It's also overpriced, but the small size isn't bad and has lasted a long time. 

Edited by Ruby Slippers
  • Like 1
major_merrick

I'm probably the least likely girl on the forum to have a valuable contribution to this thread.  But there are a couple of things that I use.

My eyelashes look a little weird (too light colored), and mascara runs.  So I actually use a light coat of black acrylic paint brushed on with a Q-tip.  A little 50-cent bottle from Walmart lasts for years, and it comes off with water.  Also has the beneficial effect of pulling out the loose lashes so they don't drop into my eyes. 

I don't think hair dye really qualifies as a cosmetic, but I've added streaks of red into my hair for 2 decades now.  I use either "raspberry red" or "midnight ruby" color.  Cheap dye, mixed a little bit at a time and combed through just a little bit on the front. 

Occasionally if I'm wanting to be super femme, I'll drop just a touch of silver glitter under my eyes.  I think I've only done this twice - once for my wedding, and once a couple of months ago for an evening ball. 

• Thanks 1

I love Glossier Boy Brow. It’s the only product that I can think of that I haven’t been able to as good of a product in a different brand. I don’t wear much makeup.

• Thanks 1