Is motorcycling really dangerous?

salparadise
2 hours ago, preraph said:

Oh, riding is a lot of fun.  But if you just want to do it for fun, load it up and take it out in the country and ride where there's no one around.  

Load it up? I guess if you have a little dirt bike and a truck... 

But the fun I've had has been about traveling, often long distances. I've visited National Parks in all the lower 48 states, and visited quite a bit of Canada. It's an amazing adventure. Once you're all set up and in that groove, it's like another dimension. I won't go on because words can't really describe the experience. But anyone who has gone coast to coast or circled the US will concur I'm sure.

Edited by salparadise
  • Like 1
  • Author
Springsummer
1 hour ago, major_merrick said:

Here, we have road tests for each kind of vehicle.  Car, motorcycle, and various commercial vehicles.  Seems fairly standard, and I've never heard of it being otherwise.  If I were you, I'd keep the license, if only to give the finger to "the man." 

sorry I didn't express myself clearly. I meant 2 road tests for each license type.

1 written test, 2 road test for car. 1 written test, 2 road tests for motorcycle. If you didn't pass the second road test within 5 years, you are back to square one, starting all over again. you don't even get to keep your first license. 

Give finger? lol I like that!

Edited by Springsummer
major_merrick

2 road tests is definitely weird...  Then again....Canaduh.

Edited by major_merrick
  • Author
Springsummer
1 hour ago, major_merrick said:

2 road tests is definitely weird...  Then again....Canaduh.

oh, only in eastern Canada, not all Canada, specifically the province of Ontario.

Happy Lemming
14 hours ago, Springsummer said:

1 written test, 2 road tests for motorcycle. If you didn't pass the second road test within 5 years, you are back to square one, starting all over again. you don't even get to keep your first license.

Is the second test harder than the first test??  Do they ask you to perform more advanced skills in the second test??

If you haven't touched a bike in 5 years, do you think you'll be a little "rusty" with your riding skill set?? 

Do they expect you to bring your own motorcycle for the "second test"??

I also don't understand about being intimidated about walking into a Honda Motorcycle dealership and inquiring about a Rebel 250?? It doesn't hurt to research any vehicle you are buying (first)... on-line reviews, Consumer Reports, youtube reviews, etc. etc.  It would be very easy to educate yourself about a Rebel 250, before you walk into a motorcycle dealership (including the expected price).

How did you purchase your car?? Did you walk into a car dealership to purchase your present car??

On the driving test, be sure you visibly turn your head right and left before crossing intersection.  That's what they got me for.  I used my peripheral vision and just turned my eyes.  Nope.

• Like 1
  • Author
Springsummer
5 hours ago, Happy Lemming said:

Is the second test harder than the first test??  Do they ask you to perform more advanced skills in the second test??

If you haven't touched a bike in 5 years, do you think you'll be a little "rusty" with your riding skill set?? 

Do they expect you to bring your own motorcycle for the "second test"??

I also don't understand about being intimidated about walking into a Honda Motorcycle dealership and inquiring about a Rebel 250?? It doesn't hurt to research any vehicle you are buying (first)... on-line reviews, Consumer Reports, youtube reviews, etc. etc.  It would be very easy to educate yourself about a Rebel 250, before you walk into a motorcycle dealership (including the expected price).

How did you purchase your car?? Did you walk into a car dealership to purchase your present car??

Not sure. 

for my car license...I relocated to another province for a short period of time so I switched to that province's license. Came back to my province, and waited for a couple of years to switch back this home province's license, then it is a perm licence. Talk about loophole and work the systems ...lol

They provided the bike for first training, for the second, yes, I will have to have my own bike. I had never touched a bike prior to my first course and I just passed it.

buying a car is different. Car is normal for everybody. Bike is for cool looking people. lol

half of the year is winter here, so 5 years is like 2.5 years of riding time.

Happy Lemming

@Springsummer

I thought about you this morning, as I ordered a new battery for my R6.  Last time I started my motorcycle the battery seemed a little weak, so time to replace it.

After I completed the order, a smile came across my face as I thought about going for a nice long ride after I install it.

I always feel upbeat and happy after I ride...

Good luck with your decision making process on your motorcycle license.

All the best. 🏍️

• Like 1

In traffic, yes it's extremely dangerous. You can't out-skill someone else's stupidity. Combine another driver's mistake with enough bad luck on your part, and you're dead or seriously injured, no matter how good your handling or how carefully you ride. You do not have to ask many people to find numerous tales of extremely careful riders who have been killed in road accidents.

If you're in a very rural/isolate aread, then go for it. But I wouldn't go near one in a city or more urbanised location.

Edited by Andy_K
  • Like 1