How long do bottled sauces last?

I got some as a gift but haven't used them all yet, and it's been a few years.  The ones I haven't used have never been opened, but how long do they last?

Edited by ironpony

Depends on what it is. Hot sauce has a few years but I'm not sure about everything else.

If it's unopened, the colour looks good and it still has flavour then it's fine.    If it's opened but not mouldy and tastes OK, then eat it.   The only exception being sauces which are organic or preservative free.

I did recently discover that ancient Hot English Mustard loses it's heat after years in the pantry.

throw it all out ironpony...we wouldn't want you to get food poisoning on top of coronavirus

major_merrick

If it is unopened, it can be good for many years past the printed date.  The higher the pepper content or the more sour the sauce is, the less likely it is to spoil.  Hot sauce and mustard last forever.  Dairy, mayo, and ranch not so much. 

Check the bottle first.  If packaging is intact, open it.  If the color and the smell are good, then taste test - one small drop on your tongue.  If it tastes good, then swallow and wait 24 hours for results.

I grew up doing this method, as food was sometimes scarce and my husband's family stored things long past their "best by" dates.  I hate wasting things.

• Like 1
  • Author

Oh okay thanks. No date on it.  I have torn that part off, when I opened the box back then a few years ago.  However, does bottled stuff last as good as cans?  My friend opened a can of soup that his great Aunt had in her house, after she died a few years ago, and the can was from 1962, and he ate it and he was fine.  So is bottled stuff as good as cans therefore?

Edited by ironpony
22 hours ago, ironpony said:

the can was from 1962, and he ate it and he was fine. 

why would you even? :sick:

I really got into this topic, this is from the BBC:

'Perhaps the most famous single example of a long-lasting processed food is the last McDonald’s Big Mac in Iceland. The last Big Mac ever sold, before the fast food chain closed its only restaurant in the country in 2009, is still on display. While wilted and pale, mould has not set in. The owners of the Big Mac are hardly following Sulu’s food-preservation advice to a tee. The burger is kept in a glass box, limiting the amount of air that it is exposed to, but other than that it would appear the only preservatives keeping it mould-free are the ones it was made with.'

🍔