The world stops. how about yours?

Beendaredonedat
16 hours ago, FMW said:

I'm not playing golf - I'm hitting balls at a driving range, solo.  The one I go to is very basic so not overly popular, I usually have well more than 20 feet space around me.  The balls are dispensed by a machine, so I have the option to wipe all the surfaces or even wear gloves, as does anyone else who decides to use the range.  And my walking and hiking are solo, in wide open spaces with no need to be anywhere near anyone else. 

I disagree that anything other than staying inside at all times is being irresponsible or cavalier.

it's not that going out is cavalier, Its going out and being in close contact with those who also go out.  

Edited by Beendaredonedat
  • Like 1

Just came back from the grocery store. Now the bread rack is empty but there was milk available. Cheese selection was a bit skimpy as was the meat department.

It doesn't take much to destroy our society and stampede the herd.

I'm in a sour mood because of lack of decent bread.  I have all this sandwich stuff and no palatable bread and I have lettuce that will just spoil before I get bread.  Grrr.  

• Author
Springsummer

I am in a self-hatred mood. I should have foreseen this and sold my stock and better yet, short selling.

@preraph. You don't need bread for a sandwich. (I gave up bread and most carbs years ago on the recommendation of my chiropractor - had a GREAT impact on my health.) Use the lettuce as the 'bread' of your sandwich. Cheese works, too. Most of the time I use cold cuts for 'bread' and the 'inside' of the 'sandwich' is a slice of onion.

• Like 1
simpycurious
30 minutes ago, nospam99 said:

@preraph. You don't need bread for a sandwich. (I gave up bread and most carbs years ago on the recommendation of my chiropractor - had a GREAT impact on my health.) Use the lettuce as the 'bread' of your sandwich. Cheese works, too. Most of the time I use cold cuts for 'bread' and the 'inside' of the 'sandwich' is a slice of onion.

NoSpan, I am sorry but that doesn't sound as good.  I don't eat much bread but with a sandwich I make an exception.  

3 hours ago, Springsummer said:

I am in a self-hatred mood. I should have foreseen this and sold my stock and better yet, short selling.

Try counting your blessings that you have your health and haven't lost any loved ones to the virus.   Your stocks will rebound, but dead people wont.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Beendaredonedat said:

it's not that going out is cavalier, Its going out and being in close contact with those who also go out.  

FL Governor DeSantis has restaurants with 50% or 6 ft. apart and this had me remembering smoking and non smoking sections, lol. 

On 3/16/2020 at 8:22 PM, Springsummer said:

OMG, I didn't dump my stock...now too late. how come I didn't foresee this? so stupid

I didn't either. I was planning to buy puts or inverse stocks, but this happened so fast - when I also had some other major life events distracting me - that I missed my chance. Then, not knowing that selling is usually the wrong move, I didn't. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. <sigh> I can only hope things stabilize soon and begin to recover by fall.

On the other hand, I have an emergency fund and I'm still receiving dividends at the normal rate, so my income hasn't - yet - been affected. That will change if this crisis persists, and that will be a huge problem for me. However, in a few months I can collect social security, so that should also offset most dividend reductions. I feel very fortunate, and feel bad for those who face really difficult times without any good options.

Edited by central
Beendaredonedat
1 minute ago, Timshel said:

FL Governor DeSantis has restaurants with 50% or 6 ft. apart and this had me remembering smoking and non smoking sections, lol. 

Lol is right.. we all know how that "space" kept the smoke out of our faces.  The Fl. Governor is like the Mayor of the Beach Town in the movie "Jaws"

• Like 1
simpycurious
7 hours ago, CautiouslyOptimistic said:

I pretty much already live my life like I'm on quarantine so not much has changed for me!  

Due to self quarantine ?  

CautiouslyOptimistic
2 minutes ago, simpycurious said:

Due to self quarantine ?  

No, due to being a self-employed introvert :).  I work from home....don't go out a lot.  This is easy peasy for me.

• Like 4

I'm going to say that he's ok @Beendaredonedat.  He held a press conference yesterday and he seems very lucid and that he pays attention in meetings.  The beach goers were college spring breakers and they weren't there without mommy and daddy's dime....

• Like 1
  • Author
Springsummer
31 minutes ago, central said:

I didn't either. I was planning to buy puts or inverse stocks, but this happened so fast - when I also had some other major life events distracting me - that I missed my chance. Then, not knowing that selling is usually the wrong move, I didn't. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. <sigh> 

I have also been dealing with a major event recently. I lost sleep 3 weeks ago. Now getting better. bad timing as well. I was distraught and consumed by the event.

• Like 1
Beendaredonedat
51 minutes ago, Timshel said:

I'm going to say that he's ok @Beendaredonedat.  He held a press conference yesterday and he seems very lucid and that he pays attention in meetings.  The beach goers were college spring breakers and they weren't there without mommy and daddy's dime....

My "guess' is that he's more concerned with the dollars being spent then he is the risk.  Like you said, the "smoking section" certainly didn't keep the smoke away from us in the non smoking section.

• Like 1

Aren't they all?  He shut down all bars and clubs.  Beachers gone.  All bars and clubs are a big hit in FL.  Thank you parents all over the country for paying travel, hotel and spending money so that your hedonistic brat can swap body fluids and get drunk to oblivion in one of the United States highest elderly population and THEN travel back to your home states to spread the love.  

• Like 2
On 3/17/2020 at 2:22 PM, Springsummer said:

OMG, I didn't dump my stock...now too late. how come I didn't foresee this? so stupid

The stock l was waiting to drop from 5 to 3 to buy , and it did and l was just about to buy , then all this crap appeared , now it's 1.30 , and it'll probably drop to 50 or 70c according to the charts l'd say, maybe lower.  So l'll grab some then if  they look like they're gonna survive. Kinda a silver lining to all this , be 40x mt money if it comes back later and back to heading where it was last year. take a few yrs but who cares.

Anyway , if it's a strong company and you don't need the coin don't sell now just leave it,  once all this is over it'll be back few yrs.

Me l'm pretty lucky here , small town away from the main small city. We can get out long walks or miles of beach , long drives whatever anytime they can shut what they want it couldn't change those. But it's very strange in town , and there's nowhere's open apart from getting food or goods, stuff , atm anyway, Oddly , mostly only older people out and about , that's weird . But yesterday we def noticed in the city that they were all quite jovial and we had quite a few chuckle and crack jokes which never happens normally , so l'd say they're just a percentage of older people that have lived and seen a lot and the kind to kinda think to hell with it if we get we get it . Some even joking about empty shelves , one chuckled offering to cut the last can on one shelf in half, half for her half for me n my daughter , bloody funny. She must've been 90.

Strangely , no younger people about anywhere much and no traffic , weird as, empty car parks, strange times for sure.

Edited by chillii
  • Like 1
IndigoNight

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

Currently Infected Patients

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

* Remember that this accounts for confirmed/reported cases only as of March 19, 2020. The numbers would likely be much higher if testing was more readily available.

While the measures being taken might seem extreme, I would much rather be inconvenienced for a few weeks as opposed to being in the situation that Italy and China are/were still in. Our healthcare system would be crippled in short order, if no measures had been taken to prevent the rapid spread of COVID-19. 

16 hours ago, Springsummer said:

Just learn from the experience and let it go. When I first started buying stock I got enamored with banking stocks because of the dividend they were paying at that time. My portfolio had shares from three different banks until one of them closed their doors. I lost that entire investment but learned about diversification. 

18 hours ago, Springsummer said:

Don't feel bad.  I bought $1000.00 worth Of Imclone Systems (the stock Martha Stewart went to jail for).  This was before anyone heard of the company.  I read about it in a magazine (Individual Investor, it no longer exists) My investment went up to $25,000.

Biggest gain in the market that year. I didn't need the money and the company wasn't done with all it's phase trials ( in was a cancer drug).  So I rode it all the way down.  

What did I learn?  I learned that I'm pretty good at picking stocks, but fall in love with them and suck at knowing when to sell.  I now have my investments managed by a professional investment firm.  Unfortunately that's not the only story like that.

There's an old saying, Bulls make money, Bears make money, but Pigs get slaughtered.  I wasn't a Pig necessarily.  Just never knew when to sell.  Not needing the money was a piss poor excuse not to sell a stock.  Live and learn as they say.  None of us have a crystal ball.

Edited by Piddy
  • Like 2

Hey Piddy .... changing the subject, but since I see you posting here ....

I see your TB12 avatar is no longer in a Pats uniform. To be a bit punny, TB12 is now TB TB12 (or has he still not signed the contract?). Personally I'd prefer to be looking at an avatar of Mrs TB12.

• Author
Springsummer
3 hours ago, Piddy said:

Don't feel bad.  I bought $1000.00 worth Of Imclone Systems (the stock Martha Stewart went to jail for).  This was before anyone heard of the company.  I read about it in a magazine (Individual Investor, it no longer exists) My investment went up to $25,000.

Biggest gain in the market that year. I didn't need the money and the company wasn't done with all it's phase trials ( in was a cancer drug).  So I rode it all the way down.  

What did I learn?  I learned that I'm pretty good at picking stocks, but fall in love with them and suck at knowing when to sell.  I now have my investments managed by a professional investment firm.  Unfortunately that's not the only story like that.

There's an old saying, Bulls make money, Bears make money, but Pigs get slaughtered.  I wasn't a Pig necessarily.  Just never knew when to sell.  Not needing the money was a piss poor excuse not to sell a stock.  Live and learn as they say.  None of us have a crystal ball.

OMG...sounds just like me. I am new to buying stock. I bought a stock when it was at it's lowest, because I am knowledgeable of the field. over last few years it kept rising and then got bought out by a big company. If I sell it now, I still earning profits. yes, the problem is I fell in love with it and didn't want to sell. 

A few months ago, I was considering Tesla when it was around $400. then it kept rising and I thought I will buy when the price come down, but then it kept rising to 900...now it's back to 400 though.

No sure if professional is necessary better. for my mom's money, I didn't dare to buy any stock and just used a bank professional to invest in mutual fund. It earned very little, and now with the stock market crash....this is what really hurts now. Maybe mine is not really professional enough.

Good to know I am not the only one who doesn't have a crystal ball. Guess professional doesn't have a crystal ball either. 

4 hours ago, nospam99 said:

Hey Piddy .... changing the subject, but since I see you posting here ....

I see your TB12 avatar is no longer in a Pats uniform. To be a bit punny, TB12 is now TB TB12 (or has he still not signed the contract?). Personally I'd prefer to be looking at an avatar of Mrs TB12.

Funny. 😀   I live about 35 miles from the Tampa Stadium.  I'm a Bucs fan now.  I like Gisele as well.  But the women like Tom.  An maybe there's some women here who don't know who Tom is and they think it's me. 😉

Edited by Piddy
  • Author
Springsummer

RIP. People died or are dying...

maybe it's not respectful to talk about stock and profit now? I don't know. I have only been concern how it affects me. but there is nothing me and/or anyone here can do. Sorry.

• Like 1