Interesting Coronavirus situation. seriously!

3 minutes ago, Wanderlust2018 said:

All good input, thanks, but yet, if it were so “worrisome” then why not get out of there and fly back to the U.S. NOW?!?

Spending hours in an airplane breathing strangers secretions floating in the air......nah.  If she doesn't work with public and listens to government recommendation she's better to stay put than to travel in an airplane full of Italians potentially carrying the virus. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Gaeta said:

Spending hours in an airplane breathing strangers secretions floating in the air.

Thanks for that.  I may never set foot on an airplane again, Coronavirus or not :) 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

I'm not saying how old I am. A lady does not need to tell her age, so neither do I! Wateva wateva, I do what I want 😛

A lot of people are freaking about the virus - because of all the news hype. It's similar to the flu, and I don't see people getting all excited about that?

As long as the governments contain it, it will all blow over in a few months, and the economy and dating can go back to normal. 

It would be a great time to buy stocks.

• Like 3

It's not the flu she is worried about, it's mass hysteria and it could get very dangerous. Them people be cray cray.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Wanderlust2018 said:

Landing in Rome. Original plan was to travel north to Florence and Lucca. Possible day or overnight trek to Cinque Terre from there. She’s in Ferrazzano at present, so pretty well south.

To you suggestion is why I suggested to her going south, once I arrive in Rome...Sicily? Or taking a flight to Athens and/or Santorini. Switzerland is an option, if I do indeed go, as I have a stop in Zurich on the way. Love Lucerne, actually have been there twice previously! One of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been to. 

Hmm, then landing in Rome makes even more sense if she's near Naples. Now she's less than 2 hours away from the Reggia di Caserta, amazing place, you can spend like two days there to visit everything (better than Versailles). Ask her to make sure it can be visited through her hotel (I assume she's staying somewhere). On the way back to airport, you could visit the Montecassino Abbey (the day before you leave maybe). Going to Sicily might be an option, but that road Salerno-Reggio Calabria is a nightmare even for locals, go figure for an American! 😁

You could visit Tivoli, there are the remains of an ancient Roman villa with pool and up on the hill the famous fountains. Make sure that sites are open.

I would avoid crowded places, like Florence. I love Lucca too. Anyway, if you have three weeks, you could tour Umbria. Make sure you stay in the very city center while in Perugia. In Umbria you can stop by wherever, and visit Assisi, Perugia, Orvieto, the Marmore Falls. Driving up to Tuscany you can stop in Arezzo. You can stay in a castle, in holiday farm, in a charming hotel... plenty of choices. The only thing you need to make sure is that you find places open. If you go to Perugia, you throw a coin into the well, like it's customary in Rome to throw a coin into the Fontana di Trevi 🙂 And you make a wish. Very romantic. My wishes always came true, so it worked for me 😁

8 days in Umbria, 2 days in Caserta, 2 days in Tivoli, 1 day in Montecassino, last day reaching the airport. You have one free week. You'd want to spend it in Tuscany. But if you want to try something different, you could take a ferry boat to Sardinia, with the rented car with you and then tour Sardinia a bit. March is rather cold weather and a bit windy, but interesting and off the usual track. Have a look at what Sardinia has to offer. It's more of a summer destination, but if you want to be travellers more than tourists, then go for it.

The difference is the mortality rate.  For the flu it's .2 to .5 percent.  For the coronavirus, it's 2 percent, which is significant, two people out of a hundred.  Mostly elderly die from it, but not exclusively, and we all know kids are mainly who spreads it.  So say it circulated in a group of 100 people, two people are going to die.  That's your school, your church, your block.   

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Fletch Lives said:

As long as the governments contain it, it will all blow over in a few months, and the economy and dating can go back to normal. 

The government will contain it if we stop spreading it around the globe by traveling back and forth to infected areas. If your father is dying in Italy I understand traveling there but chosing Italy as a vacation spot right now, it's careless in my opinion. 

It's not so much where you go in Italy, it's the plane ride that puts you at a  higher risk. 

Edited by Gaeta
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes.  We should have all travel shut down, really, even within the U.S. so we could just quarantine towns if necessary.  Of course, the activist Ninth District just ruled the border has to be open again, so where we had that one area of containment, we no longer do.  Now anyone can again just come in and bring any disease they want and use our hospitals.  Very bad move.  Terrible timing, no matter what side you take on that border issue.  Just stupid.  It's already border states where it's showing up, CA and Texas, specifically in Texas, San Antonio, which is right on the border. 

Edited by preraph

P.S. You can get the ferry boat from Livorno to Olbia and back (check Moby website)

(You can get a ferry boat from Naples too, but I have no idea what it is like there. And be careful in the South. Never leave anything visible in the car. Never leave anything in the car! They might steal everything, it's not just urban legends, lol)

Edited by justwhoiam
5 minutes ago, Gaeta said:

It's not so much where you go in Italy, it's the plane ride that puts you at a  higher risk. 

You may not worry about the virus, and not worry about your health because you're in great shape, but while you carry this with no symtoms you may come across my elderly mother and father and you'll be responsible for their  struggles with it. You need to see the big picture here, not only yourself. 

• Author
Wanderlust2018
5 minutes ago, Gaeta said:

The government will contain it if we stop spreading it around the globe by traveling back and forth to infected areas. If your father is dying in Italy I understand traveling there but chosing Italy as a vacation spot right now, it's careless in my opinion. 

@Gaeta My ticket was purchased before there was a single case of it even known or identified there. Clearly, if I could see into the future, I’d have never purchased it and made those plans. 

A tiny bit of inconvenience and change in routine and plans for a little while in order to cooperate with recommendations for prevention and containment isn't going to kill anyone -- 0% kill rate vs 11% (or whatever it is now if we don't accommodate).

1 minute ago, Wanderlust2018 said:

@Gaeta My ticket was purchased before there was a single case of it even known or identified there. Clearly, if I could see into the future, I’d have never purchased it and made those plans. 

I am sure you can have it refund with a small penalty. 

I posted something but it shows as hidden, maybe because it contained a link. I removed it but it's still hidden...

• Author
Wanderlust2018

Btw, lets stick to the topic at hand as far as an ulterior motive or not, rather than debate and hypothesize about the etiology of the virus please. Thanks. 

9 minutes ago, preraph said:

The difference is the mortality rate.  For the flu it's .2 to .5 percent.  For the coronavirus, it's 2 percent, which is significant, two people out of a hundred.

- well, corona is still new and they are still gathering data. The last I heard, mortality rate is 1.1 to 2. 

Still, both flu and corona rates are below 3 percent, that's very low I think.

So yes, Corona is slightly worse than the flu in some areas - but only slightly. 

Still, if some countries can't contain it, we might see a spike in deaths in those countries.

1 minute ago, justwhoiam said:

I posted something but it shows as hidden, maybe because it contained a link. I removed it but it's still hidden...

Last time it happened to me I copied and paste my hidden message without the link and repost it. Not sure it's allowed but I didn't get a warning. 

• Thanks 1

Me personally would say to hell with it if she's gonna act all weird, and go have a celebration with friends and family. I wouldn't put so much importance/investment on someone you are very casual with. One thing I had learned in life is to never push things, leave them be and move on.

Edited by smackie9
littleblackheart
2 minutes ago, Wanderlust2018 said:

Btw, lets stick to the topic at hand as far as an ulterior motive or not, rather than debate and hypothesize about the etiology of the virus please

It sounds like you are asking about the viability of the 2 of you as a couple.

If neither of you (or at least one of you) is interested in a long-term relationship with each other, and you've already made your mind up about it, there's not a lot to discuss?

Not sure about an ulterior motive (could be she is just being considerate). Do you have reason to doubt her intentions, other than your gut feeling?

I do agree with canceling unnecessary flights and postponing vacations. Anything we can do to keep the mortality rate as low as possible is good. Save a life.

There will be a short downturn in the economy. But it will rebound quickly.

I'm working at home, and stocking up on hurricane, er, Corona supplies.Plus I have a new Sensurround home theater to build. I'm being smart and staying in my cave. But I'm not freaking out, I'm having a hurricane party 😛

8 minutes ago, Gaeta said:

Last time it happened to me I copied and paste my hidden message without the link and repost it. Not sure it's allowed but I didn't get a warning. 

It's visible now, it was the post about Moby lines.

Folks,

just to clear this up, only less than half of the Italian regions have cases. It's like say 20 of the 50 United States. And some regions only have 1 case. The girlfriend is in an area with just one case, and hours from her. I say stay away from red and yellow zones (Lombardy, Veneto and Emilia Romagna) to avoid trouble as much as possible.

Cases might go up. They are now 900. Book rooms through booking.com with the option of paying locally once you're there and the option of cancelling till the day before the stay. If I understood well, there are still more than 2 weeks before the start of your trip, so let's see what happens. Some museums have reopened in some regions.

18 minutes ago, Fletch Lives said:

I do agree with canceling unnecessary flights and postponing vacations. Anything we can do to keep the mortality rate as low as possible is good. Save a life.

There will be a short downturn in the economy. But it will rebound quickly.

I'm working at home, and stocking up on hurricane, er, Corona supplies.Plus I have a new Sensurround home theater to build. I'm being smart and staying in my cave. But I'm not freaking out, I'm having a hurricane party 😛

Don't forget Corona beer and limes . . .

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Redhead14 said:

Don't forget Corona beer and limes . . .

Hehe! I forgot all about Corona beer. That poor company....... to be named after a virus. Ouch! 

The good news is, experts say that if you drink enough beer, you'll forget all about Corona! You might even forget your name! 😆

Edited by Fletch Lives
  • Like 1