Am I too old for videogames?

I grew up playing videogames with the Atari and used to play with my friends until the end of high school. Then I played some online games with my brother or friends and then really dialed back it back. So probably starting in 2011 or so I've played every now and then on the weekends. I think I played 1 game for like 5 years before finally beating out. Now I've got a huge backlog of games and every now and then on the weekends I'll still jump into a game. Like this past weekend I worked out really hard and was tired and couldn't spend time with any friends or get a date so I played for a few hours and found it really relaxing.

Now that I'm approaching 40 I'm a bit embarrassed by the fact I still play games and like movies like Star Wars and the comic book movies. Is this a habit I should try to get rid of? Should I be embarrassed to tell a date that I play games every now and then?

As long as you take care of your responsibilities do what you enjoy. The same people who criticize you about this probably watch reality shows which are much childish in my book.

As long as it's not to a level where she writes to us asking about her boyfriend who won't leave his games, you're fine.

When you have someone in the house, you need to do things you enjoy doing together and not go off alone to play video games.  It's a big gripe we hear over and over on this board with guys of any age who just isolate themselves and all they want to do is play video games.  IMO, you need to get out of the house and do active things more often than you play video games.  Don't ever ignore someone to play video games.  Honestly, I feel the same way about watching sports, but at least if you have two tvs, the other person can go watch something and it doesn't happen every single day.  

• Like 1
Cookiesandough

Wth? No way. I’ll be too old when I’m dead. Video games are no different than any form of entertainment 

Edited by Cookiesandough
  • Like 3

I'm not so sure about that preraph.   I go off and do my domestic arts.  Hubby goes off and spends time with guitars.   I think we all need down time for our interests, even if those interests are gaming or TV.   The trick is to make sure to find a balance of personal time and time with our partners.  

• Like 3
CAPSLOCK BANDIT

I think your liking of video games is a blessing, not a curse... Most people go for nights out and SPEND MONEY... The key fact about video games is that you can invest $70 and have that money provide an entertainment value that far exceeds any type of night out or some sort of romantic candle lit dinner where you are spending the same amount of money to get 2-3 hours of entertainment (Probably double to triple the amount of money honestly but im being generous).

You just have to find somebody that will game with you, you do not provide them with their own games n stuff, they bring their own, but you keep an open mind and find somebody with similar interests.

Do the x-box and that type of games not require in-game purchase like the computer games do?  Because I found them way too expensive and annoying.  

You don't have to divulge that information if you aren't comfortable with it. And the average gamer is in his/her 50's. I've heard that there's a woman in her 80's that played Skyrim of all things, so there really isn't an age limit. 

Cookiesandough
14 minutes ago, preraph said:

Do the x-box and that type of games not require in-game purchase like the computer games do?  Because I found them way too expensive and annoying.  

Not typically. Neither do a lot of PC games. There is often DLC, expansions, or other ad ons, but usually they are sold as a full game on its own that can give you hours and hours of content. I can’t stand games where you have to constantly make in game purchases either 

• Thanks 1
CAPSLOCK BANDIT
17 minutes ago, preraph said:

It is becoming more common to have in-game purchases, but this is mainly from the Free-To-Play models that exist. Free-To-Play models will have literally thousands of dollars worth of Micro-Transactions, each are like a dollar for a new hat or a new color or something like this, but the AAA titles, for the most part, are a one time payment.

• Thanks 1

No, you're not too old.

Video games are a form of entertainment, no different to TV, books or music. In the past their use was restricted to those who were technologically adept, usually the younger generation. Nowadays most people are technologically adept, so if it appeals to you, go for it.

As others have said, make sure you don't let them neglect your other responsibilities. But that statement could just as easily apply to binge watching TV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
thefooloftheyear

Here is the reality....

There WILL be some women that will be really turned off by this and an additional amount will be mildly bothered by it.....Its not like an instrument, a classic car, or some other diversion, where its more of a mainstreamed adult diversion......The negative connotation(perhaps unfair) is that you are laying around, out of shape,  in a dirty T shirt with a joystick in hand and a bag of Doritos at your side...

That being said, there are some women that wont have a problem with it....They may even like to do it with you...

But just the mere fact that you have started a thread about it should say something.....that you don't really think its all that great to do it at your age...You may have to consider that aspect.....

TFY

Pleasant-Sage

I'm 34 and occasionally play video games. I can't sit down and invest a whole lot of time in them anymore before I get bored but sometimes the storylines can suck me in. It's not very often but I compare the experience to reading a good book that you can't put down.

I can see how video games might be unattractive to certain individuals. It's kind of a lazy unproductive hobby.

Some people try to live their lives in these virtual dimensions and become addicted. I see the need for concern regarding them. Affairs start in them too. Soooo stupid!

I kind of practiced what @preraph said when my wife was home unless she turned on the Bachelor or American Idol. Even then I would sometimes just lay in bed with her and tolerate it so I could be around her.

Now that we are separated, I still don't find myself spending a whole lot of time on them. I've been watching Anime and do sometimes play fighting games with my kids. They have surpassed me and usually beat me to a pulp. So, I quit and just enjoy watch them fight each other. It's a whole lot less stressful that way 😄

I definitely wouldn't say it's my primary hobby if on a date unless it was just that important to me (it's not).

I would lead with something more interesting that's going to generate better conversations because your looking for common ground while telling the other person about yourself. I might possibly make it an honorable mention at the end though.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, max3732 said:

Is this a habit I should try to get rid of? Should I be embarrassed to tell a date that I play games every now and then?

yes & yes

• Like 1
  • Author
1 hour ago, thefooloftheyear said:

Here is the reality....

There WILL be some women that will be really turned off by this and an additional amount will be mildly bothered by it.....Its not like an instrument, a classic car, or some other diversion, where its more of a mainstreamed adult diversion......The negative connotation(perhaps unfair) is that you are laying around, out of shape,  in a dirty T shirt with a joystick in hand and a bag of Doritos at your side...

That being said, there are some women that wont have a problem with it....They may even like to do it with you...

But just the mere fact that you have started a thread about it should say something.....that you don't really think its all that great to do it at your age...You may have to consider that aspect.....

TFY

I guess the reason I started the thread about it is I was going through some of my old stuff and found boxes for games from years ago and was thinking about how long I've been doing this and that it's something I've never shared with any potential dates when they ask what I do for fun. So I was looking at my profile and wondering if this something I should mention as a hobby or something that maybe needs to go. It's not a huge part of who I am, but it is something I've done for years and enjoy. 

I'm definitely not laying around out of shape eating junk food playing. On the weekends I like to really workout hard and challenge myself to something but then also relax. I exercise 5-6 times a week so on my day off I usually will try to find a show/movie or will sit down and play game. I don't know if a woman in her 30s would see a videogame and run for the hills.

The other thing is one of my friends said he is really into gaming and even plays with his wife. He even named his dogs after characters from a game. So I was wondering how common that is.

• Author
1 hour ago, Pleasant-Sage said:

I'm 34 and occasionally play video games. I can't sit down and invest a whole lot of time in them anymore before I get bored but sometimes the storylines can suck me in. It's not very often but I compare the experience to reading a good book that you can't put down.

I can see how video games might be unattractive to certain individuals. It's kind of a lazy unproductive hobby.

Some people try to live their lives in these virtual dimensions and become addicted. I see the need for concern regarding them. Affairs start in them too. Soooo stupid!

I kind of practiced what @preraph said when my wife was home unless she turned on the Bachelor or American Idol. Even then I would sometimes just lay in bed with her and tolerate it so I could be around her.

Now that we are separated, I still don't find myself spending a whole lot of time on them. I've been watching Anime and do sometimes play fighting games with my kids. They have surpassed me and usually beat me to a pulp. So, I quit and just enjoy watch them fight each other. It's a whole lot less stressful that way 😄

I definitely wouldn't say it's my primary hobby if on a date unless it was just that important to me (it's not).

I would lead with something more interesting that's going to generate better conversations because your looking for common ground while telling the other person about yourself. I might possibly make it an honorable mention at the end though.

What concerns me is that some women will think my light gaming on the weekends as the same as these people who are obsessed with it. I used to play Starcraft, but that was the last online game I play. I've been playing games that are more story driven, open world kind of games like Bioshock, the Witcher the Telltale games, Deus Ex, and this weekend I was playing Zelda BOTW just kind of exploring the world and I think it helped me to clear my mind and unwind.

It's at the point now where these games are kind of a last resort type entertainment. Like after I've worked out, read, done chores, and just want to do something to relax. I still just feel funny if someone on a 1st date asks "what did you do this weekend" and I mention I played a videogame for a few hours. Maybe like you said I could give it a quick mention.

• Like 2
  • Author
5 hours ago, CAPSLOCK BANDIT said:

I think your liking of video games is a blessing, not a curse... Most people go for nights out and SPEND MONEY... The key fact about video games is that you can invest $70 and have that money provide an entertainment value that far exceeds any type of night out or some sort of romantic candle lit dinner where you are spending the same amount of money to get 2-3 hours of entertainment (Probably double to triple the amount of money honestly but im being generous).

You just have to find somebody that will game with you, you do not provide them with their own games n stuff, they bring their own, but you keep an open mind and find somebody with similar interests.

Great point! I was thinking that a movie only gives you a couple hours of entertainment, but for $70 I have literally enjoyed years of entertainment. When I was in grad school I kept up with this game like every 3 months and then after I graduated I kept playing it for several more years before I beat it.

38 minutes ago, max3732 said:

It's at the point now where these games are kind of a last resort type entertainment. Like after I've worked out, read, done chores, and just want to do something to relax. I still just feel funny if someone on a 1st date asks "what did you do this weekend" and I mention I played a videogame for a few hours. Maybe like you said I could give it a quick mention.

That just makes it something you explain when you go on a date. I imagine it would go something along the lines of "I went to the gym, cleaned the house, then played video games for a bit...", making it seem casual like you would watch Netflix.

I'll put it to you this way - any potential partner who is completely against the idea of video games isn't right for you anyway. You don't want to close off that part of your personality just for the sake of a relationship. My GF is the one in our relationship that plays video games on occasion (1-3 hours max, only a couple of times a week), and I don't see it as a problem. Since I left home I've never really been into video games, but it gives her something to do while I go hang out with the boys or go to the gym.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, max3732 said:

Now that I'm approaching 40 I'm a bit embarrassed by the fact I still play games and like movies like Star Wars and the comic book movies. Is this a habit I should try to get rid of? Should I be embarrassed to tell a date that I play games every now and then?

If you like playing video games I don't think it is a habit you should get rid of, nor do I think it is something you should be embarrassed about.

I'm close to 49 years old and I've been playing video games since the mid 1970s, yet I've managed to have had no trouble finding sexual partners or having a long lasting happy marriage while raising children. Plus being gainfully employed in interesting roles, including formerly being an Army NCO for over a decade as well. My wife plays video games infrequently, yet she has fun when she does and has no issue with me playing them.

At the same time my father who is turning 71 this year (married over 50 years) and his younger brother (68) have been playing computer games since the mid 1970s as well.  Of which for example my uncle has managed to have a couple of marriages, successful adult children, while also until retirement being the regional head of my states ambulance service.

Then there is one of my grandfathers, who was born in the 1920s, who served in World War II and started playing video games from the 1970s until his death in his 90s. Yet he also managed to raise successful children, and as a police officer became a high rank area commander in my state while also being married for over 60 years.

So given that I don't think playing video games in itself  is a reflection of a persons professional capability, maturity and relationship capacity one way or another.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Pleasant-Sage said:

Now that we are separated, I still don't find myself spending a whole lot of time on them. I've been watching Anime .....................

OK... now the Naruto avatar makes sense.   LOL.

I'm 47, and I enjoy video games.  I'm mostly into classic hand-held stuff... but I do have the modern systems too. (ps4/XboxS) As you can see from my avatar, I'm a Zelda fan. That pic is from the remake of Link's Awakening for the Switch.   Anyway... I'm not the kind of guy who get's drawn into a game, and shuts down the rest of the world, and I guess that's why I like my hand held systems. I can be in the living room with the family, and if they are watching stuff I don't care about... I pick up a system, and start playing. FYI... with all the things I was blamed for while the exW was going crazy... my games were never even brought up.

I'm a business professional. But, in my breast coat pocket... you will normally find a Gameboy Micro, and maybe even some Mario socks under the pant leg of my suit.

Edited by Blind-Sided
  • Like 2

Every time I think I'm done for life with video games, a friend comes along who's into them. It's especially hard to kick the habit when you meet a gamer girl who looks like Xena Warrior Princess! Me give up!

Edited by Fletch Lives
Pleasant-Sage
2 hours ago, Blind-Sided said:

OK... now the Naruto avatar makes sense.   LOL

My kids actually got me into that one. I never took much interest in it before but started watching it to try to understand their interests in it and found out that I liked it.

I grew up with DBZ and recently finished DBS. I got them into anime with that and My Hero Academia. They've started watching all different kinds of it but I can't keep up mainly because it doesn't interest me. Some of them are weird.

We (me and my kids) are planning on going to a comic con later this summer dressed up like naruto characters. I'm planning on laughing a lot.

• Like 1

There's no age limit to hobbies. As long as you're doing it in moderation and it doesn't take over your life, there's no difference between playing a video game, watching an episode on Netflix, playing football or collecting coins. H and I intend to play til the day comes when we run out of resurrections. ;)

19 hours ago, preraph said:

Mandatory in-game purchases that are actually required to progress (as compared to purely aesthetic changes) are IMO a very clear hallmark of a terrible game that's designed as a money-sink from the start. ;) Any game worth playing will not be "pay to win". All of my games are a one-time purchase, with the exception of expansions (which are fine since they come out once in like 2 years, and contain a lot of new content, much like a whole new game.)