How much weight can you lose to have no loose skin?

Eternal Sunshine

I was shocked to find out that I have put on 20lbs over the last 18 months. Due to nature of my work, I had no time to exercise. Still, I was often skipping meals, wouldn’t even have a meal until 7pm etc. so I didn’t eat that much. I didn’t weigh myself (big mistake) so I estimated I have gained at most 10lbs.

It’s probably my age too (I recently turned 40). I hate how I look and want to lose it ASAP. I would aim to lose a little extra, so 30lbs in total. 

I’m looking to do it over next 3 months. Do you think I will have loose skin? I am worried because I’m not young anymore. This is also by far the most I have ever weighed 😱😱😱

I have lost way more than this in the past four years @Eternal Sunshine and I'm now 53, I have some noticeable loose skin under my upper arms ( doing weights/specific exercises every day now ) and a bit elsewhere. The worst is it does cause a problem on my right leg where I tend to swell now ( ankle edema ) if I stand for a long time...I am doing specific p/t exercises and using an EMS pad for that and hopefully the circulation/lymphatic flow will improve. I'm taking a vein supplement containing horse chestnut. This also occurred after I did Keto diet to drop the last ten pounds, I don't think that's a healthy diet for circulation, and I didn't even eat bacon/bacon fat!

What I am finding is that nutrition makes a big difference, no processed foods, no added salt or sugar, drink lots of water and my skin is starting to bounce back to how it looked when I was younger. You are right to do this now if it's important to you, weight tends to increase over time if not managed.

Good luck 🏊‍♀️

When I was 39 I dropped from about 180 down to 130 and have stayed within 5 pounds of that since then, though am much more fit now at 54 then I was back then. I don't have any loose skin anywhere, and no stretch marks (even though I've had a pregnancy). You should be fine. 

Depends how elastic your skin is.  I've lost a lot of weight before without especially loose skin, but once I reached a certain age, I had loose skin no matter fat or thin.  

Having loose skin tends to follow extreme weight loss from high level morbid obesity.    I wouldn't be concerned if I were you.

Edited by basil67
thefooloftheyear

Unfortunately a lot of it is genetically pre determined...There are other biological/environmental factors that come into play, but you may find that no matter what you do, its going to be very hard to control....Stay out of the sun, avoid smoking, stay hydrated....the usual stuff...

My advice is weight/strength training in addition to weight loss/cardio...Most people, men or women, especially as they age.  if they have little muscle tone or mass, will look pretty "loose" after weight loss..

TFY

• Like 1

You won’t have a problem.  I gained 40 lbs or more! from quitting smoking during a very stressful time (caring for my dying mother) and held onto the weight for almost two years.  I’m as thin now as I was when I was chasing toddlers 20 years ago and I have no loose skin.  

I think that happens to people who are enormous their whole lives and try to get thin, not to people who are normally of a healthy body weight.

Kitty Tantrum

It totally depends on your particular genetics. I have a thing where my skin was already loose before I got fat. I've never even filled it out. Even at my heaviest, even when I was pregnant, there was this little pooch of stretchy skin under my belly, mocking me. And under my arms, and inside my thighs... 

But some people can get really heavy and then everything just kinda tightens back up as they lose it.

Your skin may provide some clues about which you are. If you're prone to stretch marks or scarring, or if your skin already feels saggy, substantial weight loss might leave some flaps and folds. If you're just, er, fleshy but still have tight and resilient skin, you may fare better.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author
Eternal Sunshine

So after some research, I started keto diet (I eat under 20g of carbs per day and am not too worried about calories) 10 days ago. I didn’t do any exercise because I’m looking to just drop the weight first and then tone up. Keto diet is pretty stressful on the body so exercise is not even recommended in the first 2 weeks.

I weighed myself this morning and have dropped 8lbs. I’m sure some of it is water weight due to not eating carbs, still I’m pretty happy :)

Edited by Eternal Sunshine
  • Like 1
CAPSLOCK BANDIT
On 2/11/2020 at 7:28 PM, Eternal Sunshine said:

So after some research, I started keto diet (I eat under 20g of carbs per day and am not too worried about calories) 10 days ago. I didn’t do any exercise because I’m looking to just drop the weight first and then tone up. Keto diet is pretty stressful on the body so exercise is not even recommended in the first 2 weeks.

I weighed myself this morning and have dropped 8lbs. I’m sure some of it is water weight due to not eating carbs, still I’m pretty happy :)

Weight loss comes down to simple math, Calories taken in vs. burned... Although it is really not that simple when you factor in cravings, habits, whether bad food is accessible or not.

At the end of the day though, to me, the most important part of weight loss is having a hero... Personally, my heroes are Lee Priest and the LA Beast; Lee Priest is just an all around wholesome dude and the LA Beast is just fun to watch, takes me back to the good ol' days of Youtube.