What's in a name?

Paul, I'm curious. This should be a fun question, but when you first created LS, what made you decide on the name? 

• Like 1
  • Author

Well, I was close. I figured a song had something to do with it, but sometimes when I log in I think of 'Loveshack' by B-52. 

4 minutes ago, The Outlaw said:

Well, I was close. I figured a song had something to do with it, but sometimes when I log in I think of 'Loveshack' by B-52. 

the entire album Cosmic Thing is wonderful

3 minutes ago, The Outlaw said:

😁 I've actually never heard Psychedelic Shack before, but it seemed a fun answer to a fun question! And we have no relation to the B-52's song either.

LoveShack.org had its origins as an Internet Relay Chat (IRC) channel many moons ago. Folks around the globe would find our little corner of the Internet and have real-time discussions on various interpersonal relationship topics. Originally hosted on a server on the MIT campus, we quickly grew in popularity and soon had linked channels (chat rooms) operating across all of the major IRC networks of the time.

We found that meaningful discussions on relationships tended to be best accompanied by a narrative format. The chat format required a bit of patience and time commitment as each person waited their turn to share the details of their desired topic of discussion. The volunteers moderating the discussions in chat, or "Hosts," began making plans to create an answering machine of sorts to allow individuals to write out the details of what they wanted to talk about in advance. That "answering machine" evolved into these forums.

During one of these planning sessions, someone exiting the chat thanked the other participants for listening and chatting about their romantic relationship, and left the channel, exclaiming: "thank you and goodnight to everyone in this little love shack!"

The name instantly stuck, and here we are today! Besides, "psychedelic" is a hard word to spell.

Best,
Paul

• Like 5
  • Author
9 hours ago, Paul said:

😁 I've actually never heard Psychedelic Shack before, but it seemed a fun answer to a fun question! And we have no relation to the B-52's song either.

LoveShack.org had its origins as an Internet Relay Chat (IRC) channel many moons ago. Folks around the globe would find our little corner of the Internet and have real-time discussions on various interpersonal relationship topics. Originally hosted on a server on the MIT campus, we quickly grew in popularity and soon had linked channels (chat rooms) operating across all of the major IRC networks of the time.

We found that meaningful discussions on relationships tended to be best accompanied by a narrative format. The chat format required a bit of patience and time commitment as each person waited their turn to share the details of their desired topic of discussion. The volunteers moderating the discussions in chat, or "Hosts," began making plans to create an answering machine of sorts to allow individuals to write out the details of what they wanted to talk about in advance. That "answering machine" evolved into these forums.

During one of these planning sessions, someone exiting the chat thanked the other participants for listening and chatting about their romantic relationship, and left the channel, exclaiming: "thank you and goodnight to everyone in this little love shack!"

The name instantly stuck, and here we are today! Besides, "psychedelic" is a hard word to spell.

Best,
Paul

Ive never heard it either,  but I’ve been on and off of forums for about 22 years, and I’m surprised I didn’t find LS very early on. But I can almost swear that my mother was a member here once. It just looked all too familiar. 

• Thanks 1
On 1/14/2020 at 7:04 AM, The Outlaw said:

But I can almost swear that my mother was a member here once.

😮 And just like that, I feel ancient.

• Author

I had no idea LS's namesake came from Psychedelic shack. But whenever I heard 'LoveShack' by B-52, I'd think of THIS site.