Dry Janaury?

Anyone participating?  

DH & I got back from a 2 week all you can drink vacation on 1/4.  My liver hurts.  😋  So I thought I'd give abstinence a try.  I also caught a bad cold on the trip.  I'm a tad disappointed that DH was back at it by Wednesday but it's his life.  I'm actually looking forward to dropping a few pounds.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

I am, although I did have a glass of wine on New Year's Day.  I could have had 8 times that amount because I had my mom and my aunt over and it was just the three of us (and all they do is bicker), but we only had one bottle of wine to split between the three of us.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
major_merrick

i'm participating.  I'm pregnant, so not much choice there.  I've been dry since I had my positive test in October.  I think I get about 2-3 glasses of wine between pregnancies anymore.  Once I'm done having kids, I'll probably drink some here and there, but I doubt I'll be killing my liver like I did when I was younger.

Well, I've gone back to Bud Lites after splurging on the Stella Artois for the holidays.  I did have a Manhattan (Crown Royal) at dinner out last night.  And I had a Stoli Martini and a few Bud Lites today.  Basically a Friday and Saturday drinker.

major_merrick

Ugh.  I've got to be drunk already to deal with Bud Light....that stuff is like P!$$.  If it's Bud Light or nothing, I'd take dry January even if I wasn't pregnant.  Bleh.

• Like 1

You might as well see what it's like to do without liquor for a period of time because as you get older eventually you will end up on some medication that you can't drink with at all!

Most Australians I know are functioning alcoholics and I'm no different.  Generally speaking, if I can have 3 AFDs a week, I'm happy.  That said, it's last day of holidays today and I'll be back on the 5/2 diet tomorrow.   Fasting on Mondays and Thursdays, so no alcohol then.  And no alcohol on Tues and Weds just for good measure.  

• Like 1

I think I might have unwittingly joined, lol! But we'll see if it lasts all the way til the end of the month, since H and I are planning to do beer-tasting at some point.

I dunno, I just don't feel any desire to drink alcohol except when the fun isn't just in the drinking (e.g. tasting events or a social event). I do like cocktails but they are pretty expensive. Abstaining from boba tea would be WAAAAYY harder for me (and no, I'm not gonna try! :classic_laugh:).

• Author
9 hours ago, preraph said:

You might as well see what it's like to do without liquor for a period of time because as you get older eventually you will end up on some medication that you can't drink with at all!

Well that is depressing 

13 hours ago, major_merrick said:

Ugh.  I've got to be drunk already to deal with Bud Light....that stuff is like P!$$.  If it's Bud Light or nothing, I'd take dry January even if I wasn't pregnant.  Bleh.

Never drank P!$$, but I like a Lite beer because they 'taste great and are less filling!'  That probably went over peoples heads unless they're of a certain age. 😉  Had about 8 of the P!$$ beers last night!  Enjoyed everyone of them........

Edited by Piddy

After the last few months of last year, I'm not going completely dry, but cutting back significantly. My partner and I would have either a beer or open up a bottle of wine most nights. But the bottle was already open, so we'd have the 2nd and 3rd glass. And then there would be more on the weekends for parties or going out.

Now we've cut out drinking during the week, and being a lot more careful on the weekends. Only at the occasional (once a month on average) party or night out will we have more. With that, combined with more regular exercise, I'm noticing the difference. I won't ever give it up completely (nods to Basil for explaining Aussie culture), but striking a much better balance health wise is the main goal here.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2020 at 10:01 PM, major_merrick said:

If it's Bud Light or nothing, I'd take dry January even if I wasn't pregnant.  Bleh.

Haha, in the days we partied a lot all we had in the house once was a crate of Miller Lite and nobody touched it!

On 1/11/2020 at 10:52 PM, basil67 said:

Most Australians I know are functioning alcoholics and I'm no different.  Generally speaking, if I can have 3 AFDs a week, I'm happy.  That said, it's last day of holidays today and I'll be back on the 5/2 diet tomorrow.   Fasting on Mondays and Thursdays, so no alcohol then.  And no alcohol on Tues and Weds just for good measure. 

Highly functioning alcoholism was a big part of UK culture too. I find at my age now there's no limit to what I can drink, especially if it's wine or beer, my tolerance is massive but the consequences for a diabetic aren't pretty. So mostly no drinking at all and holistic livng too.

I drank over the holidays and felt like crap after new year, also I felt it might become a crutch for coping with my living situation instead of sorting it in a more adult way! So...back to drinking large quantities of water and green tea. I've thrown in some B supplements and Milk Thistle and if I feel like drinking I have Perrier or do some gardening or yoga. 

I think I'm coming to the age where drinking isn't an option healthwise unless I want to go on insulin, and that's too bad a choice.

A lot of people say never drink more than once in 7 days, never more than 2 measures, that's the Moderation Management plan, but I find it's easier for me to have none than stop at 2...

@basil67 haven't really tried fasting yet though some of my friends swear by it; I'll have to read about the blood sugar.

I did do keto diet to lose a stubborn last ten pounds and though I didn't eat bacon, the higher fats seemed to affect my circulation in my feet; maybe just coincidence but I wouldn't do it again, it wasn't right for me.

• Like 2
CautiouslyOptimistic

I fell off the wagon January 1st (I think I said this), one other time, and then January 31st because I had a friend over to watch a movie, and well.....wine.  :)  Honestly I was hoping to lose more weight!  But, exercise is FAR away from where it needs to be so....

major_merrick

Ah, wine.  I can't wait til July when the baby is out and I can have a few blissful weeks of guzzling the cheap stuff from the boxes and glass jugs 😍  Unfortunately, wine seems to be the enemy of weight loss.  And exercise.  You don't lose much weight curled up in front of the TV with a glass in hand....

10 hours ago, major_merrick said:

Ah, wine.  I can't wait til July when the baby is out and I can have a few blissful weeks of guzzling the cheap stuff from the boxes and glass jugs 😍  Unfortunately, wine seems to be the enemy of weight loss.  And exercise.  You don't lose much weight curled up in front of the TV with a glass in hand....

I know! I don’t even eat that much, but the wine is the culprit. Belly fat is real

11 hours ago, major_merrick said:

Ah, wine.  I can't wait til July when the baby is out and I can have a few blissful weeks of guzzling the cheap stuff from the boxes and glass jugs 😍 

Whyyyyy!??!!? 😭 If you're gonna take in all those calories and force your liver to regenerate, at the very least get a modest bottle to do it with, lol. The boxed stuff is seriously vile, I wouldn't even cook with it...

I dunno about where you live, but we can get a decent bottle of wine here for $10. Boxed wine is like $5 for the same amount. Totally not worth the amount saved.

Edited by Elswyth
major_merrick

Around here, a gallon or so of cheap wine is about $10.  A box of wine contains about 6 bottles worth, so its like less than $2 a bottle.  A bottle of the same exact thing is $4, and then you've got glass to get rid of.  A bottle of something good is $8 to $10.  And considering that before I got married and had kids I could easily drink a bottle or two by myself nightly, along with plenty of vodka and punch....  But actually, some of the cheap stuff tastes really good to me.  And some of the $4 a bottle stuff is really delicious.  Its kind of like going to a buffet.  Not the best quality, but cheap and in great quantity.  

I think my liver is pretty happy that pregnancy has forced me to behave for the last 2 years.  😎

Cheap wine is like Russian roulette for me. Might taste okay - but my head will be pounding the next day.... Other times I can go unscathed. Just not worth the risk to me any more!

I didn't do a dry January, but I have been drinking a lot less - I am on a diet and it's just sooooo many empty calories.

Did give up beer for the entire month - kinda says something being as my husband works for a brewery and we have two kegerators in the garage. But Soo many calories in big IPAs. 

Also haven't opened any wine bottles at home because I know I will end up drinking all of it!

I have drank (vodka soda, or dry cider) on a few social occasions - and treated myself to some Pinot after an especially taxing day at work.